Forums Horror Movie Reviews
NEW Texas Chainsaw 3D Review - A Fun Movie or a Trip to the Meat Freezer?

Okay guys, as you know I had been looking forward to this one. Especially nce it kicked off the new year for horror fans.

I had a small group of people that attended with me. The 3D glasses they give with it were cool. They have Leatherface on the package, and the glasses say Texas Chainsaw on them.

Im going to keep this as spoiler free as posble.

When the movie starts out, its everything you could have hoped for. It literally picks up the moment the 1974 film ended. One of the great things about this, is that they did a GREAT job making it feel like we were watching unseen footage from the original. The house looked great, Leatherface looked the same. This section, to me, felt a lot like Devil’s Rejects…but these do movies do flirt with one another if you ask me. We get to meet a lot more of the Sawyer family, and I do wish they would have built a little more on this alone. I think it could have been pretty great to see where they wanted to take that.

We are then taken into what I am assuming is present day, we are greeted by our leading lady…and we meet all her friends. Given that our leading lady, and a couple of her friends/acquaintances are very attractive…their acting isn’t so pretty. If there is one thing the horror genre needs right now, its some good actors in the onslaught of bad movies they are putting out. That way, when the film starts to fall apart…someone can hold it up!

From here, we learn that she has inherited a house. Out of curioty, and legal requirement, they decide to go check the place out. The house itself, is a very good setting for this film. Once in Texas, we get shot after shot of the supporting actress’s ass…and half naked body…and more ass…while this can be appreciated no matter your orientation or gender…it was very over used. The script then tries to incorporate some teenage drama, that they never actually build on. They add in some rap/hip-hop muc, that no one listens to anymore, to grab at the younger generation watching this film. (NO ONE LISTENS TO RAP ANYMORE) The theatre I was in, had A LOT of younger kids in it. Needless to say, none of them understood the references to the original film…nor did they really understand or appreciate what they were watching. Most of these kids had only seen the remake. So, the desperate attempt to grab a younger generations attention wasn’t a very successful one.

Before you know it, Leatherface appears and gives you a few jump scares. The movie does start to get a little proming, and the annoying moments start to become overlookable…for a little while. Just as soon as this film turns for the better, it runs right into the ditch it started in. We get one death in particular that could have been done better in 74 with their micro budget. *SPOILER IN FOLLOWING SENTENCE* the character that gets sawed in half, is shaking terribly in pain….until the close up of their torso…which is dead still -.- Don’t expect the 3D to save this movie for you either, as it isn’t very good…and far between in its use. They could have really had some fun with all the gore that was in this film…but sadly they didn’t put much into the 3D bedes the obvious chainsaw blade every now and then.

http://photobucket.com/albums/xx25/JohnB_92/2lkqu7q_zps6bd887e4.jpg" class="photoborder" />

So after a painfully familiar scene involving a van, and a small section of suspense…the story takes a turn. Not exactly in a horrible direction, but one that loses all the horror. At least for me. I wont go into too much detail as to where it takes it but *SPOILER* I could have done without “do your thang cuz” -.- once again I don’t know anyone that talks like that anymore. After the small amount of horror, they strip it away completely…and youre left with a family film =) AWWW'

One thing that bothers the me, especially the more I think of it…is when the hell did this movie take place?? They went an extra mile to NEVER give a year…when they should have went an extra mile to make it a time period piece. The original was set in 1973, our lead is no more than 20 years old…that would out this film at about 1994...yet they are driving Chrystler 300’s and ung iPhones? Or did the original take place in 93/94?? I guess that’s up to you to decide! =)

Overall, I felt that they didn’t put too much time into this film…I feel that they mply wanted to make it for the hell of it. While it does have its moments, there isn’t much horror. The characters (bedes Leatherface and Heather) don’t have enough development to give a shit…this could have been great. Yet it fell flat, sorry to say the 2003 remake was MILES ahead of this.

What did you guys think?? For those who have seen it, I would love to discuss it. Did you like it, did you hate it? Are you wanting the sequels that are supposedly already planned out? I feel the direction they took it in, really takes away from the horror of the tuation. We are no longer scared of Leatherface. And that is a sad thing. Im hoping one day Hollywood will realize they need to come to us horror junkies and let us write the films they make us t through =/.
JohnCorley92 Sunday 1/06/2013 at 02:59 AM | 99471
Just saw this a few hours ago. When it started with the montage of original TCM footage and picked up immediately afterwards, I had hope that this film would FINALLY pay proper homage to the franchise! Within moments, my hopes were dashed when I saw how much the writing and filmmaking left to be dered. The list of missed opportunities is ealy a mile long (the carnival scene being the biggest one), and the plot "twists and turns" coupled with the "motivations" of the lead character were laughable, forced, and unnecessary. Ealy the worst film in the series after "The Next Generation".

MINOR SPOILERS BELOW

For those that have seen the film, how ridiculous was the scene where Heather was reading over the evidence from the "August 19" incident? The endless shots scanning over the documents that established things we already knew and were painfully obvious by that point in the reality of the film was unintentionally hilarious! There were a few other moments where I laughed, and not for the right reasons (terrible one-liners, the botched van getaway, etc). AMATEUR HOUR!
Preston Eleven Sunday 1/06/2013 at 04:13 AM | 99475
Yeah, this film felt very amateur. Almost like it should have been a straight to DVD film. *SPOILERS FROM HERE ON OUT* There are a few more problems i have with the script bedes the timeline. For one, who the hell was the grandma?? Everyone died in the fire, and the second half to that question...how the hell did she build that house with all that expenve stuff in it?? Eh. This film was only made for a new generation to watch the movies. They couldnt go anywhere else with the remake so they decided to reboot the originals.
JohnCorley92 Sunday 1/06/2013 at 11:27 AM | 99476
I havent seen that many horror movies in the theater lately, due to ridiculous expense and everything being so convenient with streaming media. That being said, I have never in my life laughed so hard and so often in a theater at a horror movie. This is not meant for comedy but the lead actress face planting twice in less than 30 seconds was more than I could take. This movie may as well have been shot by Asylum and put on the SyFy channel. Not a good way to start off the year horror fans.
allycat2488 Wednesday 1/09/2013 at 07:48 AM | 99536
I havent seen that many horror movies in the theater lately, due to ridiculous expense and everything being so convenient with streaming media. That being said, I have never in my life laughed so hard and so often in a theater at a horror movie. This is not meant for comedy but the lead actress face planting twice in less than 30 seconds was more than I could take. This movie may as well have been shot by Asylum and put on the SyFy channel. Not a good way to start off the year horror fans.

Yeah, people around me laughed very hard when she fell twice. This film did have a 'straight to DVD' feel to it. I stick to what i said, if they focused on great actors and tweaked the script a little...it could have been great.

i had my doubts on this movie, nce they synops came out a LONG tima ago. Then i saw the trailer, which just looked like a rehash of the 2003 remake -.-

My money is on Mama...it gives me goosebumps when i see the trailer =) Plus, they have good actors ;)
JohnCorley92 Wednesday 1/09/2013 at 04:57 PM | 99538