Forums Entertainment
"The Misfits" Dead or Undead?

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii236/dahlover77/MisfitsDeadorUndead."The Crimson Ghost;" The iconic skeletal image, crafted to be a sort of supervillain in his very own 1944 Republican Serial, can be seen at almost every corner of the world in one way or another, on T-Shirts, Collectible Figures, and many other objects that capture the toothless mastermind behind the "Death Ray's" interesting features. But it was not the series that gave the poor Crimson Ghost his famed image. In fact, close to no one knows where the image originated.

By late-1978, Glenn Danzig, born Glenn Anzalone, had painted the Crimson Ghost's face on as many valuable objects he could, ung it as a mascot for his new band, mixing horror-themed imagery with raw punk rock, known as "The Misfits." As the band progressed, Danzig's vion of his new genre, commonly referred to as "horrorpunk," was mastered. From 1977-1983, the band released nine 7" ngles and EP's, a live album, and two full-length studio records, not to mention the array of bootlegs and compilation records released prior to the band's splitting on Halloween of 1983. And though short-lived, the Misfits left a tremendous impact on the muc scene of the 1980's, influencing other punk rock bands, as well as some of the most famed thrash metal acts throughout the time period.

However, one of the founding members of the initial band would not mply let go of the Misfits, and their legacy would not only cease to be forgotten, but they would return from their shallow graves sooner than their fans, respectively titled the "Fiend Club" would come to think.

By 1995, after a drawn-out battle in court against Glenn Danzig himself for the rights to the Misfits name, Only and his brother, Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein, who also was famed as the only constent guitarist for the band from 1981-1983, had reformed the Misfits and were ready for a new beginning. Michael Emanuel, now called "Michale Graves," and the abominable Dr. C.H.U.D. were recruited as a part of the band's "resurrection." And by 1997, an album of brand new Misfits material, "American Psycho," was released, with mixed reactions. Blending heavy metal and punk rock, yet continuing to capture the horrific atmosphere that the band was, it would seem as though the band had made the absolute perfect rebirth; a fiend's wildest dreams should have come to life. And for many, it did. But there were still the fiends who couldn't let go of the fact that the creator and vocalist of the band, Danzig, had left, and wasn't coming back. Shortly after releang "Famous Monsters," in 1999, which did not seem to match up with "American Psycho," Michale Graves and Dr. C.H.U.D. went on to form "Graves," another horror-oriented punk rock band. And after the departure of Graves and C.H.U.D. it would seem as though the Misfits were done for.

Even after his guitarist and very own brother, Doyle quit the band, basst and new-found frontman, Jerry Only was not going to call it quits. The Misfits were still not over.

Nearly 35 years after the formation of the band, Jerry Only claims that the Misfits are "only just getting started." With a brand, spanking-new record on the shelves as of November, "The Devil's Rain," the Misfits have yet to be forgotten. With modern clascs such as "Twilight of the Dead," originally released Halloween of 2009 on the band's "Land of the Dead" ngle, and campy, yet decent tunes such as "Cold in Hell," all the way to the seriousness of "The Devil's Rain" and "Ghost of Frankenstein," the album should not disappoint any fans of the horror genre, or even fiends across the world.

However, the mixed ideas are still circling around lifelong fans of the band, and to some, "The Devil's Rain" just doesn't cut it. Sure, there's obviously nothing that's going to beat out the clascs written by then-frontman Danzig, but Only seems to pour out his soul to keep the Misfits alive, and though tracks like "Curse of the Mummy's Hand" don't meet the standards set by clascs like "I Turned Into A Martian," the band has evolved into a new sound, and more than anything, a new beginning. With Black Flag veteran Dez Cadena on guitar and guest vocals on "Jack the Ripper" and "The Death Ray," along with Eric "Chupacabra" Arce of Murphy's Law on the drums, basst Only remains the sole original member left in the band. Obviously, things have changed. But will this "new and improved" lineup cut it? Or do you think the band will take it's plunge once and for all? If you have picked up a copy of the album, or even mply own the older Misfits selections, I will turn it to you... Do you think this lineup is worthy of survival and a chance, or is it a disgrace to the Misfits name?
cenobitedude Sunday 11/20/2011 at 09:34 AM | 87252
As a LOOOOOOOOOONG time fan of the original incarnation of the Misfits I must say that this veron of the band ckens me and I think I speak for most fans when I say that Jerry Only should stopped raping the legacy of the band and put a stop to this garbage he still inst on calling The Misfits...At this point I don't even care to see Glenn come back to the band for a reunion...It's just too late and it wouldn't be the same,too much time has past.
mikeykreep Monday 11/21/2011 at 12:23 AM | 87283
Good topic to start on. The Fits are personally my favorite band, and always have been. I'm a fiend for life. But I'll throw in a contrary view. Of course the new can't compare to the clascs, but I still respect what Jerry does by keeping the band alive.

If you're a true fan, you stick with it through thick and thin.

Most of those who claim that the new lineup and material is a "disgrace" are biased by the fact that they can't let the previous eras go.

Keep going Jerry, I'm proud to say I listen to The Devil's Rain constantly and will always be one of the crowd at their annual Halloween weekend shows at Starland Ballroom in NJ.
AbominableDrPhibes78 Monday 11/21/2011 at 10:38 AM | 87289
Nice feature here manifesting the history and continuation of the original "horrorpunk" band that I can say I love as well. As I own many vinyl records, clasc and contemporary, of The Misfits, there's really no comparison that the Danzig era will always reign supreme. But that's not to say that I don't dig the 90's/2000's Jerry Only era though... tracks such as "The Haunting" and "1,000,000 Years B.C." from their "Cuts From The Crypt" compilation ring catchy choruses and still radiate that fast-paced thrash feel. One of my all-time favorite tracks I can truly say is the clasc "Hollywood Babylon." But after snagging the "Land of the Dead" EP, which evidently doesn't even come close to the feel of the original Misfits, I'll still be sure to check out "The Devil's Rain" soon enough.
buried13 Monday 11/21/2011 at 02:37 PM | 87290
I love the MIFTS (Danzig era), they are one of my all time favs. Ive moved on though, years ago. The Glenn vs Jerry argument is beating a dead horse already. While the current Misfits may not sound like late 70's early 80's Misfits? they are a great horror rock band with an all star line up. Plus, Jerry has perfect claim to keeping the Misfits alive. TDR is a great album, almost every song kicks ass. The Misfits are undead! the corpse has just rotted a bit.
ny ghoul Monday 11/21/2011 at 06:13 PM | 87292
they should have just left the band dead like it was after Glenn left
Johnny Bisco Tuesday 11/22/2011 at 10:38 AM | 87335
Thanks for sharing all about this series.
loral Friday 11/25/2011 at 07:46 AM | 87478
When I first heard about the Misfits reunion in the 90s with Michale Graves I was one of the idiots that refused to give it a chance . I was jaded and all about the Danzig era and joined the "do it with Danzig or don't do it at all bandwagon" then I accidentally heard American Psycho while driving in a buddy's car . I asked him who it was and he tells me the Misfits new record , its safe to say I was hooked . That record was the perfect come back record , unfortunately they didn't top that record and eventually folded . That's not to say the other records were bad , just that American Psycho was better . The one thing that keeps me from saying that Michale Grave has the potential to be the better Misfits frontman/nger than Danzig is the fact that at times I felt he goofed off on stage and didn't take the songs seriously and it really annoyed the shit outta me , where as Glen Danzig always performed as he did on the records which made live shows amazing . Now for the Only era , while I'll say Jerry has every right to call the band the Misfits , I think that if he was about the fans he'd suck it up and do a reunion with Glen , who cares if it's only one tour and one record . Who cares if they make a million bucks . The fans new and old need to see this show before they're both in their 60s and unable to do the actual tour . I guarantee Glenn needs the cash and Jerry and Doyle obviously do , and the fans myself anyway , would be content to see it just the one time . Then Jerry , Glen, and Doyle can go back to mediocrity and all would be right in the horror punk world . Don't let the fans lose out on this forever , do it one time Jerry , make a billion bucks who gives a shit as Long as you do it .
tragicfigure Thursday 9/06/2012 at 03:40 AM | 96115
May be it's Dead. I 'd like to thanks those guys who sharing this Post.
chrishunt Friday 10/19/2012 at 03:30 AM | 97184