Forums Entertainment
Thirty Years to Doomsday: My top 5 of 1982

In the year of E.T. phoning home, Pink Floyd building walls, and Jeff Bridges' user getting hurt, there were also many stalkers, beasties, and creepy things smoldering around for the genre fan to feast their eyes on.

1982 had perhaps some of the best and most underrated films of the 80s.

Here is my Top pick 5 pick of some the best of that year:

Basket Case is Frank Henonlotter's first venture as a director, bringing his grandiose style of grindhouse meets intelligence, showcang one of the most grueling creatures to ever hide in a picnic basket.

A well made film and a great alternative to having to t through Swamp Thing.

George A. Romero and Stephen King team up to bring one of the best Horror anthologies ever to creep into America's theaters.

Even the prologue and epilogue sequences with Tom Atkins as an asshole dad alone makes this one worth seeing.

Also, Stephen King plays Jordy Verill with such elegance, it makes you wonder why he never entered the acting world.

"Meteor shit!!!"

Even without Michael, this third entry into the Halloween series is a cinematic must watch from 1982.

Its just corny enough to be taken seriously.

The tone and Halloween feel are great reasons to watch this film, and Atkins (guess who may be one of my favorite actors) is great in the lead actor role.

This should be a must watch for the Halloween season.

The Beast Within, at first glance seems to be some run of the mill exploitation flick.

On second look, it is kind of that, but it has a certain charm to it that enlightened members of the horror genre culture can let seep into their veins.

But on the third view, this film transcends its roots in exploitation to the high grandeur of cinema!

For real.

"You gotta be fuckin kiddin me."

Yeah, they weren't.

John Carpenter set out to make the best verstion of John W. Campbell, Jr's "Who Goes There" he could.

In all aspects he succeeded, regardless if the movie-going public was ready or not.

This is a healthy alternative to E.T. The Extra Terrestrial and is the best FILM of 1982.Now, I would love to see some more top fives of '82.

Bring it y'all!!!
Madloomis78 Tuesday 10/23/2012 at 06:11 AM | 97272
1982 is most likely my favorite year of horror. 1981 seems to be the favorite among horror fans, but I feel '82 has a wider palatte of goodies to offer. Anyway, my 5:

5. Slumber Party Massacre - It's generic at first glance, but the originality really comes out on repeat viewings. 4. Island of Blood - As cheesy as they come, but that's why I love it. 3. Alone in the Dark - Funny, original, and scary. Not to mention that great cast! 2. Superstition - Supernatural slasher goodness with some wickedly cool deaths. 1. Creepshow - The perfect Halloween movie, in my opinion.
ObscureCinema101 Tuesday 10/23/2012 at 01:00 PM | 97333
Yeah, alot of good horrorflicks came out that year, so I'll give you guys my top 5..like this stuff;-)

Friday the 13th part III-3D..Jason in 3 dimenonal forest and the worst acted movie in the series, sorry Dana Kimmell 4. Poltergeist..nice Hooper/ Spielberg spectacle, with great Jobeth Williams and Craig T. Nelson 3. Halloween III, no need for another explanation here;-) 2. John Carpenter's The Thing...although being a remake, it feels like being superior and one of a kind 1. Evil dead- still a cult clasc and horrorfest to be watching
UberJason78 Wednesday 10/24/2012 at 12:04 PM | 97372
Personally, I think the best thing to come from 1982 is me.
Ed Reilly Wednesday 10/24/2012 at 12:24 PM | 97374
1982 is most likely my favorite year of horror. 1981 seems to be the favorite among horror fans, but I feel '82 has a wider palatte of goodies to offer. Anyway, my 5:

5. Slumber Party Massacre - It's generic at first glance, but the originality really comes out on repeat viewings. 4. Island of Blood - As cheesy as they come, but that's why I love it. 3. Alone in the Dark - Funny, original, and scary. Not to mention that great cast! 2. Superstition - Supernatural slasher goodness with some wickedly cool deaths. 1. Creepshow - The perfect Halloween movie, in my opinion.

You know, I've been meaning to see all of those.

Alone in the Dark looks like a great film.

Of course, it has Donald Pleasence, so right there tells you something.
Madloomis78 Friday 11/02/2012 at 07:34 PM | 97588