Forums Television
Update On Plans For The FRIDAY THE 13TH TV Series!

Bringing you the best in Horror Movie News, and all things Horror.

FRIDAY THE 13TH is more relevant these days than ever. Submerged deep into pop culture, the title has become a comfort for those of us that really enjoy Horror. Sure the planned film ended up not happening, for the time being that is, but at least FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE GAME was able to finally see release.

Last August we learned that the possible CW Network FRIDAY THE 13TH TV series had finally came to a screeching halt. This however does not mean that we may one day be seeing a series based on Crystal Lake in the future.

FRIDAY THE 13TH’s creator, Sean S. Cunnginham, was recently a guest on Ryan Turek and Blumhouse’s podcast SHOCK WAVES where the topic of the possible TV series was brought up.

Cunningham said of the series idea:

“The FRIDAY THE 13TH series is still percolating and we’ve got a very good handle on how we want to do it. CBS and The CW (previously) both said, “yeah, that’s good!” I don’t quite know what I’ll do there, but I’m really looking forward to it because it’s, again, taking this thing that appears one way, but you can do it this (other) way too, and really keep it interesting.”

He went on to say:

“You need really smart showrunners. I think the thing about FRIDAY THE 13TH as a TV franchise, you have that problem – how the hell are you going to deal with Jason? Is he going to come out of the woods every week and smash another teenager against a tree and nobody is going to notice? Nobody knows who did it?”

Cunningham then spoke of some of the possible routes the series could take if it were to ever get picked up:

“You have to service the fans. You can’t ignore them. FRIDAY THE 13TH, at least in part, is going to be about Jason. So, how do you make sense of all of the contradictory stories that are out there, between Jason going to space, or versus Freddy, and all these other things.

The assumption is this. Crystal Lake is a town that really exists, and a long time ago they had a series killer named Jason Voorhees, and then some Hollywood creep comes out and makes this exploitation horror movie called FRIDAY THE 13TH. And then they make another one, and another one, and it just crushes the town.

The town becomes the place that “Jason built.” And the stuff that happened, they know what really happened. The rest is Hollywood lore. There are people there that lived through it, and they’ll tell you what really happened.

And so, what you can do is set up Crystal Lake as, more or less, like the town in JAWS, Amity Island. You have the town with all its prime movers in the town, but the town is located in an area that would allow Jason to exist in whatever form. But other things as well.

I would describe it as a place where if THE X-FILES’ Mulder and Scully wandering into this county, they never would of left! There’s so much weird sh*t going on!”

When asked if there would be any threats on the series other than Jason, Cunningham replied:

“Yeah, there’s a whole bunch of stuff! And then you’re trying to balance the human stuff. And then you have the family at the core of it. You’re not (always) following Jason around. It’s (also) the town and the town politics. It’s just such a rich pallet (of storytelling). And I’m really looking forward to it.”
Wow, that is a lot to take in. Hopefully one day soon this idea will come into fruition and really take off in a big way.

We will continue to keep you updated on all things FRIDAY THE 13TH.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Saturday 6/03/2017 at 04:49 PM | 104937