Forums Horror Movie News
Update On The GREMLINS Reboot!

Bringing you the best in Horror Movie News, and all things Horror.

Back in 1984 the Horror comedy GREMLINS hit the scene. The film was released by Warner Bros, directed by Joe Dante, and executive produced by Steven Spielberg. It has a brilliant angle as the story follows a young man who receives a strange creature called a mogwai as a pet, which then spawns other creatures who transform into small, destructive, evil monsters. Then in 1990 Dante also steered the next tale as he directed the sequel, GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH.

Now in the present day, the talk of a GREMLINS remake continues to make waves as Warner Bros have Carl Ellsworth writing the new version. The original film was written by Christopher Columbus, who will be producing the new project along with Steven Spielberg.

While many fans are not too excited with the idea of a GREMLINS do over, producer Christopher Columbus recently spoke with Collider to offer his vision on the film:

"It is real. I am involved. When I finished Gremlins, and the first Gremlins was released, I was asked to write the sequel, and said there was no place else to go. Now this was before the pre-crazy-franchise-era of Hollywood where everything is a franchise. So obviously a long 30 years has passed, and I thought, “Okay, we can do this. We can actually find a way not to remake the first movie, but to take those characters and do something interesting.”

I realized, not from the Star Wars phase, but from J.J. [Abrams’] other movies, when he did Star Trek, he has a sense of taking that short of sense of nostalgia we all want and bringing it forward like he brought Leonard Nimoy into the first Star Trek. And that to me was why we connected to that and it was painfully obvious when we saw the Star Wars trailer recently that when you saw Han Solo and Chewbacca, we all had tears in our eyes, because we want that feeling again.

So I thought, okay, it’s cool. If we can pull it off—if we can create that feeling but deliver something new to the audience, then maybe we can do a really terrific Gremlins reboot."

Original synopsis:

"A boy inadvertently breaks 3 important rules concerning his new pet and unleashes a horde of malevolently mischievous monsters on a small town"

We will continue to bring you more on the GREMLINS remake as it unfolds.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Thursday 4/23/2015 at 06:55 PM | 103299