Forums Horror Movie News
Big News For Todd McFarlane’s SPAWN Reboot!

Bringing you the best in Horror Movie News, and all things Horror.

1992 saw the launch of Image Comics' Spawn from creator Todd McFarlane. The very first issue became an instant collectible in the early 90's. 1997 brought us the feature film SPAWN which starred Michael Jai White and John Leguizamo.

There has been talk of a SPAWN reboot for a good while now and writer/director Todd McFarlane previously said that he wanted to use practical effects and that the film will indeed be rated R.

McFarlane spoke with Deadline about the upcoming film which he will be directing, and he revealed that pre-production on SPAWN is to begin just after Christmas and that filming is slated to kick off in February of 2018.

He also said that the budget will be $10 million and while Universal has a first-look deal with Blumhouse, there is a great possibility that another studio could end up distributing the film.

He says of the distribution:

“The only things we need from them are distribution and marketing. We don’t need your input, we don’t need your cash, we don’t need your creativity – and they don’t like those deals. They always want the budget to go up because then they have to put money in it and then they own it.”

He said in regards to directing his first film:

“I didn’t use to draw comic books and I drew comic books and I won awards. I don’t know how to read music and I have a Grammy Award.

I’m spending my own money so who cares if it doesn’t work out. It’s a $10 million budget movie, and (a studio) would just get a 22-year-old punk director. I just want to be the old punk directing it.”

McFarlane Films is partnering with Jason Blum and Blumhouse Productions for the SPAWN reboot.

There has been previous talk of Jamie Foxx possibly taking on the titular role. Only time will tell as to who will be wearing the mask, and we will continue to bring you the very latest on the upcoming SPAWN reboot as it moves forward.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Saturday 10/07/2017 at 04:05 AM | 105263