Forums Horror Collectibles
Official Horror Movie Remake "Biggest Bitch" Thread...

Am I the only one or does all these remakes make you just want to stop watching anything thats new "Horror related"? I am honestly starting to get ck on my stomach because every new horror flick that's comming out are bacally nothing but remakes and it turns my stomach. I feel that the only reason they make money off of them is because of how much the people loved the originals and they don't care about showing anything original because they know by remaking a cult clasc, that they are garunteed a profit from it.

It's really sad in a way. Even if it isn't a remake chances are the movie isn't going to rate any higher then a 5-7 on a 10 scale with 10 being the best rating. PA was actually the only decent hit yet that I've seen in "Years".

I don't think it's going to be much longer before the Horror Genre drives itself into the ground...

--Ryan
Harry Warden Tuesday 11/24/2009 at 03:32 PM | 58446
The remake thing hasn't really bothered me too much only because I remember a time (late 80's/early 90's) where most people bitched and moaned about how there were no original ideas in horror films and that every slasher was bacally a carbon copy of another.

Studios felt the backlash and thats why I think by the end of the 90's the remake campaign began. First it seemed cool and worked mply based on nostaliga...old fucks like myself were stoked to see what our horror heroes of old might be like revamped on the big screen and newbies discovered some icons for the first time. Let me propose this....would Leatherface be as popular as he is were in not for the remake? no way in hell....case in point just look at the replicas (masks) that have been being made. The majority are all based on the remake. The real problem I think is not with the remake but the quality. These asshole hollywood creeps thought that by calling a movie THE FOG that we'd be duped into liking it. Well we didn't. Im sure if a few good remakes were rolled out people would be ok.

Lets not forget that we're fans but ultimately it is a buness and if you were a producer or an exec with a studio you want to make a profit.

As for remakes? a lot suck. Some were good. LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT was excellent TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE was also very good HALLOWEEN was hated but also loved by many F13 pretty much like Halloween
ny ghoul Tuesday 11/24/2009 at 04:51 PM | 58450
In general I don't really mind remakes as long as they bring something new (good or not) to the story and aren't just ung the original to show off their latest CGI prowess.

But my biggest bitch at this point is just that they WONT STOP DOING IT!

The lack of originality is the worst part.

It almost makes me want to suggest some kind of thread milar to a celebrity "dead pool" related to clasc, loved original horror movies that we predict (and dread) will be remade.

I know we all have our theories and speculations.

For me, I shudder to think of it but I predict we'll see a new veron of "Poltergeist" popping up sometime soon.
deathrisingup Tuesday 11/24/2009 at 07:44 PM | 58469
Thats my exact bitch on the remakes also... They just wont stop doing it and there's no more Originality.

I am surprised that there hasn't been a remake of Jaws... I am not one for remakes anymore, but I would be up for a remake to Jaws. Nothing can ever beat the Original and nothing ever will, but I think it would be interested to see how bruce would look on the big screen and in modern times. Do I think the movie would suck? Most likely, but I would enjoy seeing the cast, props, the orca and Bruce in the modern point of view.

As far as anything else goes, it's just b/s.. imo...

Why they inst on remaking the HalloweeN movies is beyond crazy. They left you hanging at the end of H8 when he opens his eyes in the body bag.

Funny thing is that they never continued where it left off. Instead they do 2 remakes and a 3rd on the way.

Doesnt make any sense to me.

I agree with Evan when he talks about the quality. I think alot of the remakes go way beyond there means. It's one thing to change a movie a little bit to make it there own, but to completely blow it out of peportion is just un needed. And I think speaking for alot of people, Unwanted.

For once I'd like to t down and experiance a real Original Horror film Slasher and be blowed away by it's Originality and Creativity. I havn't been able to do that nce the days of "Scream" and then again when "Behind The Mask" came out...--Ryan
Harry Warden Tuesday 11/24/2009 at 08:42 PM | 58470
The real problem I think is not with the remake but the quality.

I agree with you here Evan. Remakes are nothing new and some are quite good. Some of my favorites would be Invaon of the Body Snatchers (1978), The Thing (1982), The Fly (1986). The horror genre tends to go through trends and we happen to be stuck in a remake trend...eventually it'll pass and move on to something else.Lets not forget that we're fans but ultimately it is a buness and if you were a producer or an exec with a studio you want to make a profit.

This is what a lot of people seem to forget...a studio is ultimately a buness and to them the bottom line is everything. They don't care about the diehard fans who want to see something original as long as there are enough asses filling in the theatre seats to turn a profit. In today's economic climate, you really can't blame the studios for taking the safe approach and investing their money remaking familiar titles that are most likely to generate a profit.
lblambert Tuesday 11/24/2009 at 09:51 PM | 58472
Yeah as fans as much as we'd like to think that the studios would throw caution to the wind and say its all about the art? we have to be realistic.

The other thing to point out is that ade from the hardcore circle of horror fans like most of us here, the casual horror fan (the larger movie going audience) complains about films but then do nothing to support the smaller studio or indie films that DO come out and ARE good. There have been some great films coming out over the years...MALEVOLENCE was a great slasher flick for example. People need to check out films like CALVEIRE; SHEITAN; or MARTYRS; WRONG TURN was another killer old school inspired horror. People need to support the films that do come out.

As far as mainstream horror? well truthfully it has not been any good nce the 80's barring a few diamonds in the rough here and there.
ny ghoul Tuesday 11/24/2009 at 10:31 PM | 58482
If they remake Jaws I'm firebombing Hollywood.
gummi Wednesday 11/25/2009 at 06:55 AM | 58497
If they remake Jaws I'm firebombing Hollywood.

Jaws must have some kind of Spielbergian shield around it or something...I can't believe no one has tried to shittify it yet.

BTW Gummi, don't know why I never noticed before, but I freakin LOVE your g banner that Booman did.

One of my favorites for sure.
deathrisingup Wednesday 11/25/2009 at 04:32 PM | 58501
Jaws certainly has something going on around ti as I would have expected that to be one of the first to be remade especially with the amount of people know about it be it die hard horror fans or just the average joe.
cropsy Thursday 11/26/2009 at 12:58 AM | 58528
BTW Gummi, don't know why I never noticed before, but I freakin LOVE your g banner that Booman did.

One of my favorites for sure.

Thanks man.

It took me a while to find suitable gummi bear pictures to give to Justin.
gummi Thursday 11/26/2009 at 06:59 AM | 58541