Forums Horror Movie Reviews
The Grindhouse

So watching the Thanksgiving Grindhouse trailer today got me thinking. Why does the Grindhouse not get the love that it deserves. You just never really hear it brought up much and it didn't do all that well went it came out. It's great horror.
Dan_Halen Thursday 11/26/2009 at 07:32 PM | 58546
I can ealy admit that Grindhouse falls into my top 10 movie lists

The whole concept of what directors QT and RR tried to achieve was fantastic. It was huge in Japan where I live. Grindhouse items sell-out fast down here and there are lots of souveniors that are sold online you can't find in the states. I heard it was also big in some parts of Europe.

Grindhouse not getting the popularity it deserves in it's homeland is bacally history repeating it'sself. This can be seen in any country involving movies and arts. For example... There are Modern day Ninja movies in the US. Ninja movies were big in the 80s and can still be found in popular culture today. The ninja craze in the US was seen as a big joke in Japan. The concept of a modern day ninja didn't have an impact in Japan and only one US ninja film hit theatres in the country and was then forgotten.

Goes with muc too. Blues and Rythm & blues performed by African Americans first started as an indie scene back in the day. It was looked down as underground muc in the US while the kids in England went apeshit resulting to the birth of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

George A Romero puts out Dawn of the Dead but was given an UNRATED rating when it first hit theatres in the US. UNRATED= Rated X causes less people to go see it. People wouldn't accept it for what it is. Back in the 80s it was shown only once on cable TV nce many viewers believed it wasn't appropriate for televion. At the same time the film is shown in Italy and becomes a huge hit. The Italian horror market becomes flooded with DOTD knock-offs and zombie exploitation movies.
kaizu Friday 11/27/2009 at 12:18 PM | 58568
Good thread! I think the reason why it hasn't gotten ALL the love is because most of the movie going audience under the age of like 28 didn't get it. The rest of us LIVED through the times and films that GRINDHOUSE was paying homage to from the trailers to the film look to the muc etc etc etc.

I love PLANET TERROR because its old school bad ass 80's mayhem! scary and gory and hysterical! DEATH PROOF takes us back even further to the 70's. Great stuff.

I wish there was more merch available statede other than t shirts!
ny ghoul Sunday 11/29/2009 at 12:31 AM | 58605
My question is why the heck haven't they released the package of the two films, trailers, etc together as one DVD box set here in the states?!?!???????????

Part of the appeal when they were released in the theaters was the fact that it was a package experience... splitting them up and omitting the trailers for the DVD/Blu-Ray releases makes no sense to me and I'm not buying them until they come out together with the trailers.

(and yes I'm aware there is a complete Japanese release but $100+ is too much to pay for it)
FilmFiends Monday 11/30/2009 at 05:38 PM | 58650
My question is why the heck haven't they released the package of the two films, trailers, etc together as one DVD box set here in the states?!?!???????????

Part of the appeal when they were released in the theaters was the fact that it was a package experience... splitting them up and omitting the trailers for the DVD/Blu-Ray releases makes no sense to me and I'm not buying them until they come out together with the trailers.

(and yes I'm aware there is a complete Japanese release but $100+ is too much to pay for it)

I feel your pain. The fact that these are split make me ill to this day.
BIGKen Monday 12/07/2009 at 05:15 AM | 58880
I agree about the age thing, I LOVED this movie (or both movies technically) and saw it opening night in theaters . . . but the theater wasn't even full.

I just think the younger generations (as a whole) didn't understand the history behind this style of film making.
DaShape Tuesday 12/08/2009 at 01:48 AM | 58914
here in australia they have just been released in a box set together.. both are the 2 disc editions... the box is kind of like a projector reel thing haha

it looks cool
JACK Saturday 12/12/2009 at 01:26 PM | 59083