Forums Horror Collectibles
HorrorBid's Top 10 Most Significant Horror Movies Of Decade

Hey guys,

Booman and I thought we'd be different than every other horror te out there with their best horror movie lists of '09 and decade.

Instead of best we thought we'd do most gnificant of the decade.

Anyways, thought you guys would like the read!!!!

Enjoy

http://www.horrorbid.com/blog/blog1.php/2009/12/29/horrorbid-s-top-10-most-gnificant-horr
DaShape Wednesday 12/30/2009 at 03:29 AM | 59669
Nothings harder than making a top 10 list. When you add the decade onto the end of it, it's that much harder.

A lot of time and effort was put into this list and we hope you guys enjoy it and agree with it for the most part and if not well here's something that's guaranteed to brighten your day....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiwcOaaRo1Y

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Wednesday 12/30/2009 at 06:33 AM | 59671
I think you guys did a really good job on the list.

As all of us would, I'd probably modify some rankings here and there but the 10 titles definitely belong there.

It's hard as hell to pare it down to 10 after the decade of horror we've had so kudos to doing an admirable job.
deathrisingup Wednesday 12/30/2009 at 04:03 PM | 59674
I totally agree with Trick 'r Treat being on that list.

I would even knock it up a couple spots too.

This movie has had such a following even before it was ever released.

I had waited 3 years from when I first heard about it for it to come out and boy was I as pleased as ever.

This movie has left it's mark for decades to come.

Great list guys!
KimmyBlanks Wednesday 12/30/2009 at 05:27 PM | 59678
this could be the first list in history that i totally 100% agree with --- kind of a ballsy move to put dawn of the dead at 2 but your right it did rivial the original and good or bad set off a firestorm of remakes.
oldskool Wednesday 12/30/2009 at 08:36 PM | 59691
Ok....first my comments on your list, then I'll give mine.

10. Trick 'r Treat (2008) (great film, but I think it's gnificance is too early to judge. As great as it was others have to go ahead of it.) 9 & 8. The Ring (2002) / The Grudge (2004)

. (agreed) 7. The Descent (2005)

(great film, all female cast, but just a good uncomfortable horror, no groundbreaker) 6. Paranormal Activity (2009) (imo all that is wrong with the industry today) 5. Shaun of the Dead (2004) (agreed) 4. My Bloody Valentine 3D (2009)

. (fun, a return to 3D but thats about it) 3. Let The Right One In (2008) (agreed) 2. Dawn Of The Dead (2004)

(28 Days gets the zombie nod) 1. Saw (2004) (agreed)My List 10. American Psycho (2000) (brought horror to a new environment and launched the career of Christian Bale...excellent film that pushed the envelope)

9. Inde (2007) (the 2000's saw an onslaught of great foreign films, France being at the helm and Inde is the best)

8. The Mist (2007) (a perfect sci fi/horror that hadn't been seen in a while. Great film)

7. The Ring (2002) (not a huge fan but the importance of Japanese horror can't be overlooked)

6. Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake (2003) (introduced leatherface and old school horror to a new generation)

5. Shaun of the Dead (2004) (excellent film that launched the "tongue in cheek" dark comedy style horror)

4. The Devil's Rejects (2005) (superb 70's exploitation, gave us some stellar stars of horror's past giving great performances)

3. 28 Days Later (2002) (the film that launched the zombie craze)

2. Let The Right One In (2008) (sheer film brilliance. excellent. )

1. Saw (2004) (torture!!!!!! gore!!!!! a million imitators!!!!!)
ny ghoul Thursday 12/31/2009 at 03:57 AM | 59700
Boy I can't wait till Joel see's that Evan. That sure looks close to one of our early mock up lists. The one thing about doing these "best ofs" or "most gnificant" lists is we spend literally weeks working on them, that is no joke. We both take turns going back and forth on why we think something should make it, argue, throw stuff and then write up the reasons and publish it.

It's just great to see your list because it ealy could have been ours, there were so many that were so close to making it. TCM being a big one, The Devil's Rejects I pushed for but Joel won out on that one at the end of the day, LOL! And The Mist we went back and forth with quite a bit. Hell we did so with 28 days later too. Like I said we don't just throw these together at the last minute, we really try to put our thoughts and feelings into our stories. It's our stamp of approval and something we have to stand by the minute we publish the story till years later when someone randomly searches it on Google. It's always subjective though and we love hearing other people argue their points as well.

good work and good list....

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Thursday 12/31/2009 at 04:12 AM | 59703
Boy I can't wait till Joel see's that Evan. That sure looks close to one of our early mock up lists. The one thing about doing these "best ofs" or "most gnificant" lists is we spend literally weeks working on them, that is no joke. We both take turns going back and forth on why we think something should make it, argue, throw stuff and then write up the reasons and publish it.

It's just great to see your list because it ealy could have been ours, there were so many that were so close to making it. TCM being a big one, The Devil's Rejects I pushed for but Joel won out on that one at the end of the day, LOL! And The Mist we went back and forth with quite a bit. Hell we did so with 28 days later too. Like I said we don't just throw these together at the last minute, we really try to put our thoughts and feelings into our stories. It's our stamp of approval and something we have to stand by the minute we publish the story till years later when someone randomly searches it on Google. It's always subjective though and we love hearing other people argue their points as well.

good work and good list....

thanks bro!

yeah its a hard list to come up with because sometimes you need to take away a film you REALLY like and give the spot to a film because it had more of an impact. I think the main differences we had was 28 Days and Rejects. You could ealy switch THE DESCENT and AMERICAN PSYCHO for example. I had to give the

zombie nod to 28 because it came first and REJECTS...man......Mosely, Foree, Haig, Berryman, Forsythe....thats a potent blast of cult horror right there and it was a kick ass film to boot!

My runner ups were: GRINDHOUSE

DAWN OF THE DEAD remake BATTLE ROYALE MARTYRS

another point to make the case for REJECTS.....the characters/family and the myth built around them has become immense. From shirts, to figures, to posters. IMO the Firefly clan are the Myers/Voorhees/Leatherface/Freddy of the 2000's. I think its also fair (love him or hate him) to include an RZ film to represent 2000's horror.
ny ghoul Thursday 12/31/2009 at 04:35 AM | 59704
I agree with ny ghoul about The Mist, one of the best sci-fi / horror films of the past decade; however, I couldn't disagree more about your comment on Paranormal Activity.

You say that it's all that is wrong with the industry today?

Honestly, I think the majority of the horror films made recently represent what's wrong with the industry today, but this was one of the shining moments for the genre.

A film that TRULY scared countless moviegoers in the most elementary way . . . what a bizarre notion these days.
gummi Thursday 12/31/2009 at 05:54 AM | 59706
I agree with ny ghoul about The Mist, one of the best sci-fi / horror films of the past decade; however, I couldn't disagree more about your comment on Paranormal Activity.

You say that it's all that is wrong with the industry today?

Honestly, I think the majority of the horror films made recently represent what's wrong with the industry today, but this was one of the shining moments for the genre.

A film that TRULY scared countless moviegoers in the most elementary way . . . what a bizarre notion these days.

I didn't think PA was scary at all....now all movies for the most part are stories, and being that you know its not real, the film makers rely on good writing and good scares to make the viewing experience a good one.

PA is a film that is trying to pass itself off as a "ghosthunters" type deal. The only reason why Ghsothunters entertains me is because I believe that SOME of it might be real. So right off the bat PA lost ground for me. Upon seeing it I found it to be not scary, not really well acted and an overall snoozefest.

You know who gets the Oscar for PA? their ADVERTING department. They spun a PERFECT hype about this film and it worked. The test audiences for example (the footage of people screaming in the trailer) were dozens of screenings held around the country at various univerty campuses and film archive centers. They were able to harvest about 5 good seconds of footgae out of HOURS!

How is PA good for the horror movie industry? Do you think its going to help indie horror film makers? is it going to spawn a hundred clones that are going to kick ass? It was all corporate, and that is what we need less of. Was it a sensation? yes, Im not going to deny that. But sadly, a movie like PA takes the headlines when REAL horrors like MARTYRS, INDE, SHEITAN, etc get a week in limited theatres and then rot on the shelves of Blockbuster.

If we want true horror and a return to the 70's/80's then we need to support the indie films here and abroad. All PA did was make a bunch of suits a shit load of cash.

I dont think theres anything genre about PA but thats my opinion. What isnt opinion is that is was a corporate creation, its like a boy band put to film.

ANyway Gummi bro, please know Im not ragging on you and I repsect that you liked the film, lord knows many people did. But try and look at it from the perspective I just gave, maybe you might agree a smidge. I work in the industry and i see countless amazing films get crap while PA gets pushed because the suits know they can market it for millions.
ny ghoul Thursday 12/31/2009 at 05:19 PM | 59724
I can understand where you're coming from, but unlike you, I thought that PA was one of the most effective supernatural movies that I've ever seen.

Horror movies rarely "scare" me, and this one did just that.

I rank it close to The Exorcist as far as it's disturbing elements, and to pull that off with such a tiny budget and so little visual stimuli makes it a very gnificant horror movie in my eyes.

I recognize the fact that the brilliant marketing contributed greatly to it's ultimate success, and I know that the studio made a truckload of cash on the deal, but honestly if that's what it takes to get movies of this caliber out there then so be it.

I'd much rather see the studios make their jack on a movie that is deserving of the praise that it gets instead of on tired sequels and remakes.

The fact that this movie reached the level that it did doesn't even factor into how I feel about it.

If it had made $100 instead of $100 million, I still would conder it one of the most mply effective horror movies in recent memory.
gummi Thursday 12/31/2009 at 10:13 PM | 59742
Paranormal Activity is a love hate thing.

Personally, I think it was brilliant and was absolutely the best horror film of 2009 ealy.

Again, I know TONS of people disagree with me and that's totally cool but I couldn't help but toss some love to P.A.
DaShape Friday 1/01/2010 at 01:47 AM | 59746