Forums Horror Movie Talk
Odds on the 2010 Horror Films

What are some of yours?

NOES remake- I don't know if I'd say that I'm "anticipating" this, but it certainly poses the alluring and maddening qualities that make 80's horror fans like myself flock to see it. I'm curious how Jackie Earle will try to play this role, although I'm potive no matter how much he adds, at least that much will be taken away by the producers and studio. Also, it will look like it's been filtered through an old coffee pot...just wait.

Odds it will be good: 50-1

The Ward- Well, let's see. It's a John Carpenter film, although that's not a sure fire reason to celebrate these days. However, it does have some tailor-made Carpenter plot points- ghosts in a psychiatric hospital (Carpenter proved he could do ghosts with The Fog, racket up tenon with Halloween and The Thing, and portray mental illness with some intenty with In the Mouth of Madness).

Odds it will be good: 25-1

Scream 4- How do you resurrect a franchise built on a fad with generational dialog? Well, apparently, you act like the past ten years haven't happened, get the same cast and writer back, and plow ahead unmercifully. Fine with me.

Odds it will be good: 20-1Name some of yours or just tell us what you think of the ones mentioned above.
feastonscraps18 Thursday 1/07/2010 at 06:55 AM | 59974
Well I am not sure what the odds are gonna be but for A Nightmare on Elm Street I have to say that intially I was not excited about this movie at all.

I don't like Freddy's look and I think he is too damn short hahaha.

However, after watching the behind the scenes, I gotta say I am a little more excited about this now.

I definitely don't think it's gonna blow anybody away by far...BUT I do think now it has a slim chance of being somewhat enjoyable.

I am at least going into the theater with an open mind now and not soo pissed off

As far as Scream 4... I really hoping this one does well because I was a fan of the other 3.

I think it's great they are talking about bringing Neve Campbell back so hopefully that will help draw an audience.Let's keep our fingers crossed that 2010 will be a good year for Horror!

KimmyBlanks Thursday 1/07/2010 at 05:29 PM | 59980
Yeah I can't give ya odds but I am going to give the NOES remake a try although I'm not real pleased with the trailer. Jackie Earl Haley has been in some good non-genre films (Breaking Away and The Bad News Bears), so I am going to give him a chance with the Freddy Krueger role. Perhaps he will surprise all of us.

John Carpenter's The Ward is at the top of my list of movies to conder seeing at the theater this year. I am interested in seeing what he does with this one and maybe the old Carpenter magic is still there. I haven't given up on the man yet.

Scream 4 might be ok but I'm not excited about it. The first Scream was a good film and covered all of the bases but the sequels declined into mediocrity for me and I lost interest quickly. I'm not saying that I won't see it, it's just not number one on my list.

As for anything else, I'll just have to see how 2010 starts shaping up horror wise.
BrandyWine Friday 1/08/2010 at 05:32 AM | 60007
Well as for mainstream releases? With DAYBREAKERS, THE WOLFMAN, NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, PIRANHA, SHUTTER ISLAND, THE CRAZIES, and a proming MOTHERS DAY remake? so far the odds on a good 2010 seem pretty good.
ny ghoul Saturday 1/09/2010 at 05:14 AM | 60030
Saw VII - This will probably be the critical year for how much further (or whether) the series continues. Saw VI was the first gnificant step back in terms of revenue for the series. Producers will no longer be afraid to counterprogram on Halloween thanks to the success of Paranormal Activity. A generic ad campaign such as that used for Saw VI won't cut it. Also, I am not sure 3D will add as much to this series as in others. I think they'll need some kind of killer tag to draw people in...something ludicrous but eyecatching like bringing Jigsaw back from the dead.

The Wolfman: Despite an absolutely stellar cast, this movie has been pushed back so many times and for so long that there just have to be some gnificant problems.

Survival of the Dead: Rue Morgue covered the world premiere of this film at the Toronto Film Festival and said it was a "career low point". That means worse than Bruiser, folks. The article stated that the lack of a standing ovation at the end of the world premiere was telling.

Daybreakers: The only one on this list I'm genuinely excited about. The plot is actually interesting for a change in a vampire film. Dafoe was fantastic in Shadow of the Vampire. I expect another top notch performance here.

Scream 4: I can't help feeling that they waited too long to make this. I expect a fair percentage of their target age audience has never even heard of Neve Campbell. I wouldn't be surprised to see the new film set up some new teen model-types as protagonists, then kill off or relegate to the background the stars of the first three for the planned Scream 5 and 6.

NES remake: I'm intrigued by this as I felt Englund as Freddy had gotten too jokey to have any shot at making this series frightening again. I'm troubled by so many kills in the trailer looking so milar to kills in the original. If this is anything close to a shot for shot remake, I'll be pretty pissed.

Friday II and Halloween 3: Big fan of both these franchises, but just not sure what they could do to make them relevant again. There are some great storyline ideas in the comics produced over the last few years. One of the F13 comics was set during the winter in Crystal Lake...some interesting visual posbilities there.

30 Days of Night 2: Dark Days: Loved the original, and I've read the comic miniseries this film will presumably be drawn from. I hope this will be as good as the first.
Dunge44 Saturday 1/09/2010 at 06:17 PM | 60040
The Wolfman -- Are you kidding me? I can't wait! Will it come close to the clasc?

The Crazies -- Looks great, haven't seen the original and I fear this may go straight to dvd/blu-ray

Frozen -- I'd rather go to the gas station and get a brain freeze from a slushy return home and masterbate to Michelle Rodriguez in The Breed

Cabin Fever 2 -- Drunken Commentary candidate!? lol

Shutter Island -- MIND F%CK!!! lol future DVD rental

Season of the Witch -- Let's hope it'll be good

Saw 7 (3D) -- James Wan is getting pissed at people talking about saw so you know I am. I stopped at Saw 3

Piranha 3D -- a killer animal movie that's not on SYFY!!!

Repo Men -- Repo the Genetic Opera with out the gothic over tones and nging

Predators -- Let's hope it's better than the AVP films

Beastly -- Looks like a CW tv show in the vain of Vampires Diaries

Priest -- I shot the Sheriff to end this bad comic turned movie! lol Sounds horrible but may surprise

The Roommate -- American Psycho 2!? WTF? What the hell is it about?

Survival of the Dead -- Yay, another Zombie film lol but hey it's Romero

Area 51 -- Aliens return to the screen with out Milla...Now what am I going to do with myself during the film? lol IDK what to think.

30 Days of Night: Dark Days -- Watched the first movie once and hated it so I really don't care about it except it brings violent vamps back to the screen. 2010=Violent vamps on screen with Daybreakers and this film.

The Descent: Part 2 -- Loved the first one hope this one does well and isn't sent to DVD/blu-ray

Hatchet 2 -- I liked the first one but then I was a fan of the cast which is now dead so Kane better bring it. kudos on adding Danielle Harris to the mix.

My Soul to Take -- Uh..Wes is back but I have no clue what to think. It may be awesome or it may just be a lot of twists and turns with an unsatisfying ending.

DayBreakers -- Looks great and seems to be a kick as veron of the idea we saw in Blade with some violence that satisfies.

Kick Ass -- Not Horror but looks fun and entertaining.
oldskool Sunday 1/10/2010 at 09:42 PM | 60107
I just saw the trailer for Shutter Island while watching The Office tonight, and I have to say that I'm really looking forward to this one.

I'm very excited to see what Martin Scorsese will do with a film like this, and I've liked everything that Leonardo DiCaprio has been in.

The only other two that I'm actually excited to see are The Wolfman (I don't know how this one could posbly miss from the clasc story to the incredible cast) and The Crazies.

I was looking forward to Daybreakers but was unimpressed, so hopefully the upcoming releases will make up for it.
gummi Friday 2/05/2010 at 09:41 AM | 61176
What are some of yours?Scream 4- How do you resurrect a franchise built on a fad with generational dialog? Well, apparently, you act like the past ten years haven't happened, get the same cast and writer back, and plow ahead unmercifully. Fine with me.

Odds it will be good: 20-1Name some of yours or just tell us what you think of the ones mentioned above.

really? 20-1? the first 3 sucked. and Wes Craven is a terrible film maker except fro the first NOES and even the ending to that movie sucked. the chance of this movie sucking will be alot more than 20-1.
thebeyond105 Monday 2/08/2010 at 06:36 AM | 61309