Forums Horror Movie Talk
The Year of the wolf!!The better transformation?

Little Red wants to here your thoughts...

With the new Wolfman movie hopefully to come out

Thought I'd like to here your thoughts on which werewolf flick had the better transformation scene.

An American Werewolf in London

VS

The Howling

Post away!!
kaizu Thursday 1/07/2010 at 06:57 AM | 59975
That's a tough choice.

Both are such clasc scenes, but for me The Howling will always be tops.

Every time I watch that scene I can almost feel the terror that Dee Wallace's character must be feeling as she stands there watching that unfold in front of her.

I love the transformation scene in AAWIL also, but the comedic elements take a little away from it for me.
gummi Thursday 1/07/2010 at 07:24 AM | 59976
Sadly, I still have not seen American Werewolf In London so I cannot vote.
DrenTheLiar Friday 1/08/2010 at 01:48 AM | 59995
kaizu Friday 1/08/2010 at 03:22 AM | 60000
Though the transformation was cool in AAWIL, it just seemed funny the way they showed it in a brightly lighted room.

Don't forget Landis did that on purpose. It's no secret shadows and darkness were often used to help pull off the effects before CGI was available...he saw that as taking a short cut and specifically wanted the transformation scene in his movie to be done under bright lighting to eliminate that.

Yes the scene had a scarier context in Howling...it was supposed to be scary nce Howling was a straight horror flick. AWIL on the other hand was a horror/comedy and the transformation scene, like many other scenes in that film, were quite tongue-in-cheek. Keeping that in mind it's really not fair to say one is better than the other on the bas of being scarier when only one is intended to be scary.

Looking at the FX themselves, while both were good I have to give the nod to AWIL.
lblambert Friday 1/08/2010 at 05:12 AM | 60006

Automatic ban until you've seen it!

Just kidding, but seriously, this is a must see movie.
gummi Friday 1/08/2010 at 07:55 AM | 60012
FYE had it for like $9.99 until they came out with a new veron and now it's $19.99 again. I know, I'm a cheap ass.
DrenTheLiar Friday 1/08/2010 at 10:16 AM | 60013
FYE had it for like $9.99 until they came out with a new veron and now it's $19.99 again. I know, I'm a cheap ass.

Last time I was at Wal-Mart they had the special edition for $13...
HorrorFreak Friday 1/08/2010 at 02:16 PM | 60016
Though the transformation was cool in AAWIL, it just seemed funny the way they showed it in a brightly lighted room.

Don't forget Landis did that on purpose. It's no secret shadows and darkness were often used to help pull off the effects before CGI was available...he saw that as taking a short cut and specifically wanted the transformation scene in his movie to be done under bright lighting to eliminate that.

Yes the scene had a scarier context in Howling...it was supposed to be scary nce Howling was a straight horror flick. AWIL on the other hand was a horror/comedy and the transformation scene, like many other scenes in that film, were quite tongue-in-cheek. Keeping that in mind it's really not fair to say one is better than the other on the bas of being scarier when only one is intended to be scary.

Looking at the FX themselves, while both were good I have to give the nod to AWIL. I'm glad you left a comment Lee, hoping you'd stop by

Is it true that the the guys from AWIL reshot some of the scene after seeing the SFX scenes of the Howling??
kaizu Friday 1/08/2010 at 03:48 PM | 60019
Is it true that the the guys from AWIL reshot some of the scene after seeing the SFX scenes of the Howling??

I've never heard that particular rumor and while it's posble, I highly doubt it. Rick Baker actually started doing the fx work on the Howling but when Landis got the funding for AWIL he turned it over to Rob Bottin (who was his asstant at the time) to finish the project. When Baker did the transformation scene in AWIL, he already knew what the scene in the Howling would look like.
lblambert Saturday 1/09/2010 at 01:08 AM | 60026

I've never heard that particular rumor and while it's posble, I highly doubt it. Rick Baker actually started doing the fx work on the Howling but when Landis got the funding for AWIL he turned it over to Rob Bottin (who was his asstant at the time) to finish the project. When Baker did the transformation scene in AWIL, he already knew what the scene in the Howling would look like. Thanks Lee
kaizu Saturday 1/09/2010 at 01:13 AM | 60027
Great thread idea Kaizu!

tough one indeed, but THE HOWLING is one of my favourite horrors so Im partial to it. Just looking at the transformation? they are both great. Its a toss up really......hrm....HOWLING because it was scarier.
ny ghoul Saturday 1/09/2010 at 05:06 AM | 60028

Grumbled Cough "Fu%#ing Loser" Grumbled Cough. I kid Matt

I can agree with Gummi on this one...
Matthew Mayhem Saturday 1/09/2010 at 10:46 PM | 60053