Forums Horror Collectibles
Where Should They Stop?

It is common knowledge that horror movies tend to get way more sequels than they should. Where do you think they should have stopped with specific series.

Friday The 13th should have prob stopped at part 3 or 4. I didn't care for 4 too much, but it kind of wrapped things up nicely.

Nightmare on Elm Street. Should have stopped at part 2.

Halloween. Also should have prop stopped at part 2.

Please give your opinions on these series and add others you think went too far with the sequels. Tell where you think they should have stopped.

~Sara
*Horror_Chick* Sunday 1/17/2010 at 05:09 PM | 60354
Halloween 3 never should have happened under the Myers franchise but 4 The Return of MM wasn't bad. Make that the real three and the series prob should have ended there.

Good Thread btw.
Devastation Sunday 1/17/2010 at 05:31 PM | 60355
The last great Friday was Part 5 or 6. Halloween should have stopped at 4 or 5. NOES I could have cared less about but I would still have liked New Nightmare to happen.
DrenTheLiar Monday 1/18/2010 at 12:17 AM | 60359
Pretty much when they hit space with any series it's over with.

customcritters Monday 1/18/2010 at 12:38 AM | 60360
I liked F13 from the first to part 4 pretty much, although I did see and own the rest. Halloween I liked 1-4 and then the RZ films and NMOES I like 1-3. Sequels don't bother me too much. There have been some other good ones that include TCM, PHANTASM, .....I think that once the films start to suck, what keeps them going is that they continue to make money from dedicated fan bases. I'd like to see the sequels end when the people behind a movie KNOW that they've pretty much run their course. Ultimately though it boils down to buness.
ny ghoul Monday 1/18/2010 at 03:57 AM | 60365
When the villan dies it usually means the director has no more ideas so it's best to leave it that way. Though remakes tend to suck half of the time It's a lways nice to see a reboot.
kaizu Monday 1/18/2010 at 04:39 AM | 60366
When the villan dies it usually means the director has no more ideas so it's best to leave it that way. Though remakes tend to suck half of the time It's a lways nice to see a reboot.

I agree with you kaizu. Everyone is on a remakes suck trip and they do but many times the sequels are worse if you think about it. That's a topic of its own.
oldskool Monday 1/18/2010 at 04:55 AM | 60370
I believe the reason remakes and continuations are at a high right now is all due to the economy. Film makers need to make something that garuntees them money so what better way to garuntee money then to use a HUGE title and add to it.

In my own honest opinion, film makers used to be creative. They just made what they thought would be good and hoped for the best. Most of all the popular horror titles where made without the thought of them ever getting huge. In todays market for films, film makers don't really want to risk loong the money so they make something that they know for a fact will sell. And as I had said before, what better way then to remake a movie that already carries a big title.

As far as what this topic is really about, I think that Friday The 13th should have ended at part 6.

Part 6 wraps everything up with Tommy. I think that HalloweeN should have stopped at H20. Only because it was one hell of an ending and it fullfilled Laurie's fate to finally kill her brother.

I don't really dislike any of the Nightmare on Elm Streets. I liked all of them very much. I agree that part one and part 2 were the best as far as actually being scary and not so much humorous like the sequels.

AND YES: Any sequel that goes to space, is ruined right off the bat...--Ryan
Harry Warden Wednesday 1/20/2010 at 01:11 AM | 60424
All I can say is that sequels should only be done carefully and correctly. Hard to do sometimes, but milking it for a paycheck is nothing more than that.
aceofspades70 Thursday 2/04/2010 at 02:42 AM | 61115

Halloween. Also should have prop stopped at part 2.I agree with both of these, except Nightmare On Elm Street should've been stopped after the first one. The only good thing about part 2 is the darker Freddy. The rest are total unfunny shit.

Halloween 1 & 2 are great and I wouldn't have minded if they ended it there. Although Halloween III: Season Of The Witch gets shitted on a lot, I think it's a fun movie and better than all of the later sequels.
JackOLantern Saturday 2/06/2010 at 12:18 AM | 61193

Halloween. Also should have prop stopped at part 2.I agree with both of these, except Nightmare On Elm Street should've been stopped after the first one. The only good thing about part 2 is the darker Freddy. The rest are total unfunny shit.

Halloween 1 & 2 are great and I wouldn't have minded if they ended it there. Although Halloween III: Season Of The Witch gets shitted on a lot, I think it's a fun movie and better than all of the later sequels.

Halloween III: Season of the With kicks ass
thebeyond105 Monday 2/08/2010 at 06:56 AM | 61312

Halloween III: Season of the With kicks ass

Yes.
JackOLantern Monday 2/08/2010 at 07:57 PM | 61346
A good example of where sequels should stop? How about the whole Saw franchise. The first two weren't too bad, although kind of overrated and not my favorite series of movies. I lost interest after number 4 though. I still haven't seen number x yet, don't know if I am going to until I can watch it on Fearnet for free.

I don't really want to see number 7 or any other future sequels, and I think it is excesve that a new Saw film comes out every year.
Moon Sunday 3/14/2010 at 08:45 AM | 63002
When you seriously conder a gimmick like 3-D to reboot your series. I'm talking to you Redent Evil and most definitely I'm talking to you Saw... Bad series, stop that. 6 films and running out of bullshit plot devices to aggravate a sequel to explain more bullshit plot devices...
ironblade87 Monday 7/05/2010 at 08:05 PM | 64882
It is common knowledge that horror movies tend to get way more sequels than they should. Where do you think they should have stopped with specific series.

Friday The 13th should have prob stopped at part 3 or 4. I didn't care for 4 too much, but it kind of wrapped things up nicely.

Halloween. Also should have prop stopped at part 2.

Please give your opinions on these series and add others you think went too far with the sequels. Tell where you think they should have stopped.

~Sara

Sara, I agree 110%. Here are some others in my opinion....

JAWS was all we needed, 2 and 3 weren't bad, Revenge was ehhh...

Child's Play should have stopped at 3. Bride and Seed are abominations

Puppet Master could have stopped at 2 or 3. PM vs DT was completely unnecessary.

Sleepaway Camp should have not have had sequels. (Just because you're Springsteen's ster, doesn't mean you have talent. Sorry, your brother got those genes. :p)

Return of the Living Dead should have stopped at 2. 3 was o.k. 4 and 5? Titles like "Rave to the Grave"? I shake my head.

Creepshow is amazing, Creepshow 2 is fun, Creepshow 3...no Romero or King? No thanks...

Hellraiser 1-3 are fantastic, the rest are cool but if they stopped at 3 I would be content.

That's all I can think of for now...any thoughts?

TaRmAn1986 Tuesday 7/06/2010 at 03:36 PM | 64908
I have two different perspectives on this . . .

There's the "anything is better than nothing" de of me that says keep em coming . . .

Then the other de says stop after 3 or if one sucks at the Box Office.
DaShape Tuesday 7/06/2010 at 05:00 PM | 64912
I have two different perspectives on this . . .

There's the "anything is better than nothing" de of me that says keep em coming . . .

Then the other de says stop after 3 or if one sucks at the Box Office.

I feel the same way bro! I have to admit, as a child of the 80's it was awesome to live in an era that saw so many horrors released. Even when they were shitty, there was nothing like going to the movies on a saturday to catch a horror.

Thats how I feel about SAW....and I'll tell you what. The SAW people got one thing right. Halloween comes around? theres a SAW film. I have not enjoyed them all but they have provided some fun Halloween nights out with the fellas.
ny ghoul Tuesday 7/06/2010 at 05:54 PM | 64914