Forums Horror Collectibles
Would a JAWS remake work?

I may be a chick but I think remakes suck for the most part too!

I just ordered a remakes suck shirt from here because it's sooooo funny & true. But I was thinking, with all the things they are remaking why are they not trying to remake one of the best horror movies out there JAWS?

It would probably be more than icky but I'm suprised it's not even mentioned.

What do all you think?

XOXO Sara
*Horror_Chick* Wednesday 1/20/2010 at 11:10 PM | 60495
First, let me say thanks for writing something that can be debated and that is Jaws/Shark related. I have been an avid Jaws fan from the first time I say the movie as a child. The enjoyment has given me a genuine interest in sharks, however I would have to look upon a remake with caution. One of the points that is always brought up is that technology could create more realistic scenes and a better looking shark, but remember one of the greatest things about Jaws is that you don't see the shark until the last hour of the movie. Obviously, technology would be able to create a more frightening and realistic shark, but honestly ask yourself, how many scenes did the shark really look that bad? I can think of two where it looked artificial or "fake". Other than that, I felt that the crew gave excellent video footage that made the shark look "more realistic" than it really was.

Secondly, I think that the movie and the actors who played the characters are still too vivid in peoples' minds to forget the fantastic work that they accomplished. My fear is that a potential Jaws remake, would go the way of the Psyco remake. I never saw the original, so I thought that the remake, starring Vince Vaughn, was a fairly good movie. But those who remembered the original hated it, and many critics thought it was a horrible movie. Thus, I think a remake would always be compared to the original, and never get the opportunity to stand as a work on it's own.

With this being said, if it were to happen, I am too much of a fan to not go see it. I would hope that the movie would have success, and try to go in with an open mind and not compare it to the original masterpiece.
Dunge44 Thursday 1/21/2010 at 01:17 AM | 60501
Remaking JAWS would result in another HALLOWEEN type tuation. Remaking a legendary film that is close to perfect just won't work well with the masses. I actually liked RZ's HALLOWEEN films, but I was in the vast minority.

JAWS was great for so many reasons....the actors.....that was an all star line-up and any director would be hard pressed to try and even come close to Robert Shaw, Roy Scheider and Richard Dreyfuss. It was also the 70's and it had that special feeling. It just worked well on all levels. It just wouldnt be the same. Leave it be. I dont mind remakes, but leave JAWS alone!
ny ghoul Thursday 1/21/2010 at 04:13 AM | 60509
Jaws is just awesome, it'll be hard to top it, but i'd go see the remake
Fred55x Thursday 1/21/2010 at 04:42 AM | 60512
To remake Jaws would be likein my opinion.

pamelavoorheesRIP Thursday 1/21/2010 at 05:33 AM | 60524
To remake Jaws would be likein my opinion.you're probably right
Fred55x Thursday 1/21/2010 at 05:34 AM | 60526
Jaws is my favorite movie. Period. Not just my favorite horror or thriller, the damned thing is my #1 overall. That said, I don't ever want to hear tell of a remake, unless, a damn good director is going to head the project (Peter Jackson ONLY comes to mind that could do it justice). Other than that I would probably be unhappy until I see it, and knowing current remakes? Id be unhappy after I saw it.

Jaws is just one of those movies that has, and will continue to stand the test of time. It literally is the perfect movie. Everything goes together so well and as said earlier, part of the thrilling thing about Jaws is you rarely do see the Shark.. but you KNOW it's there the entire time.

If a remake was ever announced, id protest, bitch, and complain through each new development.. id even go to the extreme, most drastic measure currently known to man to stop it! That's right.. id open a Facebook group!

- Gerry
GerryButton Thursday 1/21/2010 at 06:52 AM | 60542
The problem with a Jaws remake would the Incredible Hulk type CGI they would more than likely resort to. What kind of story could they write? They would actually have to tie in some virus that was let out by man which affected sharks or they would have to go the route of Al Gore and make it a hack sac no oil drilling you polluted the water and now shes pissed Shark movie.

Couple reasons the Jaws as a remake would be awesome. To reaffirm the shirt you bought. Everyone can finally lay to rest the skeptical thoughts they had about remakes being a good thing. Guess there are quite a few reasons, We we can finally burn RZ at the stake for his contribution shat remakes.
Matthew Mayhem Thursday 1/21/2010 at 04:04 PM | 60548
It would work for anyone who hasn't seen the origional or does not have the love for that film many of us have. Remakes are made these days for the sake of cashing in on the greatest years of horrror IMO and that being the mid to late 70's to the 80's for around a decade or a bit longer. I still have not found horror that gave me the same enjoyment and don't expect to. I have enjoyed some of the remakes even though none have really compared to the origionals. I certainly think Jaws could be incredible with the CGI if done right but as was said above Bruce never looked bad really in the origional anyways. I am to worried that it would become The Hulk all over again with the overblown and horrible done CGI and really how do you find a cast like the origional.
cropsy Friday 1/22/2010 at 01:35 AM | 60585
I have always loved Jaws! (well I always loved sharks & the ocean as well) One of my all time fav movies! I would be open to remake but I agree with everyone here. The actors would be hard to replace & I would not want a totally cgi-sci-fi channel looking shark! And of course it would have to have the right director.
Hordak Saturday 1/23/2010 at 12:37 AM | 60610
They could always remake it 3-D

kaizu Saturday 1/23/2010 at 02:48 AM | 60619
From the time I read the headlines on this post I new that this was going to go 1 of 2 ways. 1 Everyone was going to """HATE""" this idea

Or it would actually be a debate. I wrote a thread like this last year and I got hung!!! lol

Jaws is MY FAVORITE HORROR movie also!!! I would LOVE to see another one! If not a remake, then a Continuation which is impossable seeing as how the only living actor left is Ritchard...

But either way... If it sucks, well then I'll just watch the original again... I LOVE that artifitial look of the shark... TO be honest I think the shark looks 10 times more scary!!! And I can remember reading a readers diguest book back in high school where these Austrailians cought and killed a HUGE great white the same ze as bruce... 25 foot shark... AND he looked ALOT like bruce... Big thick body with that wide head... So to me, Bruce really doesnt look fake...

Anyway, I would be interested provided it was made right!!! When I watch a remake, I like VERY LITTLE change...--RYan
Harry Warden Saturday 1/23/2010 at 07:54 PM | 60641
I'm a big enough Jaws fan to go see it either way. Would it be the same, hell no but it would shine the Jaws light onto a whoe new generation.
Devastation Saturday 1/23/2010 at 09:47 PM | 60643