Forums Horror Movie Talk
Rank Your Top 5 Genre Directors

Who the hell doesn't love "lists"??? Rank your 5 personal favorite genre directors in order from #1 to #5. Here are mine:

1. Lucio Fulci 2. John Carpenter 3. Dario Argento 4. Stuart Gordon 5. David Cronenberg

Honorable Mentions: George Romero, Don Coscarelli, Lamberto Bava, William Lustig
BrandyWine Sunday 1/24/2010 at 10:48 PM | 60666
This is a really tough one...but here's my list.

1. George Romero 2. John Carpenter 3. Alfred Hitchcock 4. Dario Argento 5. Tod Browning

Other honorable mentions: Frank Henenlotter, Stuart Gordon, Don Coscarelli & Bill Lustig

~XOXO Sara
*Horror_Chick* Sunday 1/24/2010 at 11:31 PM | 60667
1)DARIO ARGENTO 2)LUCIO FULCI 3)GEORGE ROMERO 4)JOHN CARPENTER 5)TOBE HOOPER/BILL LUTG
ny ghoul Monday 1/25/2010 at 02:55 AM | 60673
1. David Cronenberg 2. Wes Craven 3. Enzo G. Castellari 4. Stuart Gordon 5. Quentin Tarantino

I admire William Lustig's Maniac and Vigilante so much but I couldn't add him to the list because each of these directors have done so much more genre stuff I enjoy. Well maybe I would replace Gordon with Lustig. I don't know. Who cares?

I could add people like Romero but Martin is the only movie of his I love.

Stanley Kubrick obviously when he is doing horror genre film.

As of current folks I love the filmmakers of Inde.

Brad Anderson, Eli Roth and Lucky McKee are my personal favorite new guys. The director of P2 looks proming but he needs more work under his belt for me to remember his name.
feastonscraps18 Monday 1/25/2010 at 03:06 AM | 60675
1. John Carpenter 2. George Romero 3. Alfred Hitchcock (Although more of a thriller director) 4. David Cronenberg 5. Dario Argento

Honorable mention: Tobe Hooper Tod Browning Peter Jackson (Bad Taste and Dead Alive) Lucio Fulci James Whale Sam Raimi Stanley Kubrick (The Shining) Steve Miner Wes Craven Stuart Gordon
Myers31TKD Monday 1/25/2010 at 09:00 PM | 60698
in no order....

John Carpenter George Romero Tobe Hooper Dario Argento Wes Craven

take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Monday 1/25/2010 at 10:14 PM | 60701
John Carpenter George A. Romero Alfred Hitchcock Wes Craven James Ronald Whitney
Fred55x Monday 1/25/2010 at 11:35 PM | 60707
John Carpenter Dario Argento George A Romero Sergio Leonne Quentin Tarantino
kaizu Monday 2/01/2010 at 02:17 AM | 60942
Sergio Leonne

Sergio Leone was an outstanding filmmaker. He's the master behind my all-time favorite movie, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (the greatest film ever made). I just couldn't let his name be mentioned without commenting.
Myers31TKD Monday 2/01/2010 at 03:28 AM | 60946
Sergio Leonne

Sergio Leone was an outstanding filmmaker. He's the master behind my all-time favorite movie, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (the greatest film ever made). I just couldn't let his name be mentioned without commenting. When you watch the TV veron of Fist full of Dollars there is an added scene with Harry Dean Stanton playing the role of a police commioner talking to Eastwood about making a deal with him. This scene resembles the opening of Escape from NY when Lee Van Cleef 1st confronts Snake. This Tv opening sequence can be found in the double disk DVD of Fist full of Dollars. I guess you already know that Patrick

If it weren't for Leonne, we wouldn't have half the awesome flicks we see today
kaizu Monday 2/01/2010 at 04:15 AM | 60948
Sergio Leonne

Sergio Leone was an outstanding filmmaker. He's the master behind my all-time favorite movie, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (the greatest film ever made). I just couldn't let his name be mentioned without commenting. When you watch the TV veron of Fist full of Dollars there is an added scene with Harry Dean Stanton playing the role of a police commioner talking to Eastwood about making a deal with him. This scene resembles the opening of Escape from NY when Lee Van Cleef 1st confronts Snake. This Tv opening sequence can be found in the double disk DVD of Fist full of Dollars. I guess you already know that Patrick

If it weren't for Leonne, we wouldn't have half the awesome flicks we see today

Right on, Kaizu!

Yeah, that prologue scene is SO out of place. HAHA... it's funny how they intentionally avoided showing Clint's double's face throughout the whole thing. And yes, it is very reminiscent of that scene in EFNY. John Carpenter loves Leone's westerns. I always see him giving interviews during documentaries about Leone's films.

FUN FACT: My grandmother went to Lafayette High School with Harry Dean Stanton and one of his brothers.
Myers31TKD Monday 2/01/2010 at 06:06 AM | 60957
Right on, Kaizu!

Yeah, that prologue scene is SO out of place. HAHA... it's funny how they intentionally avoided showing Clint's double's face throughout the whole thing. And yes, it is very reminiscent of that scene in EFNY. John Carpenter loves Leone's westerns. I always see him giving interviews during documentaries about Leone's films.

FUN FACT: My grandmother went to Lafayette High School with Harry Dean Stanton and one of his brothers. Wow, that's cool

A little off topic but when I lived in Lexington I went to Glendover elementary

and another I can't remember.
kaizu Monday 2/01/2010 at 06:12 AM | 60959
I'm over by Glendover all the time. Maybe you went to Julius Marks? Lansdowne? Clays Mill? Casdy? Those are the only ones I can think of in that same area. It's cool that you used to live here, man. It's not so bad, outde of it being a bit overcrowded nowadays.
Myers31TKD Monday 2/01/2010 at 06:21 AM | 60960
I'm over by Glendover all the time. Maybe you went to Julius Marks? Lansdowne? Clays Mill? Casdy? Those are the only ones I can think of in that same area. It's cool that you used to live here, man. It's not so bad, outde of it being a bit overcrowded nowadays. Casdy!!! That school was sooo strict

Ha ha! Good times
kaizu Monday 2/01/2010 at 06:23 AM | 60961
And now back to your regularly scheduled program already in progress...

Myers31TKD Monday 2/01/2010 at 06:34 AM | 60964
To me, John Carpenter is the best. I don't know how I could rank one above the other except for Carpenter. I think he stands out above the rest.

As for other directors who's work I enjoy: Stuart Gordon Dario Argento Bob Clark Dan O'Bannon Don Coscarelli Guillermo Del Toro Sergio Leone Stanley Kubrick
JackOLantern Thursday 2/11/2010 at 03:01 PM | 61537
John Carpenter Tobe Hooper

Stuart Gordon Lucio Fulci

George A Romero

Dario Argento

William Castle

Brian Yuzna

Mario Bava

Charles Band (for shits and giggles

)
Bloodynose Saturday 2/20/2010 at 12:25 AM | 61997
1) John Carpenter 2) Wes Craven 3) Tim Burton 4) George Romero 5) Quentin Tarantino

Honorable Mention:

1) Alfred Hitchcock 2) Tobe Hooper 3) Sam Raimi
KimmyBlanks Monday 2/22/2010 at 05:30 PM | 62109
Christophe Gans Alexandre Aja Scott Derrickson - for Hellraiser Inferno Alex Turner - Dead Birds J. T. Petty - the Burrowers
ironblade87 Monday 7/05/2010 at 08:50 PM | 64890
1. Lucio Fulci 2. George Romero 3. John Carpenter 4. Tom Savini 5. John Landis

TaRmAn1986 Tuesday 7/06/2010 at 11:44 AM | 64902
1. George A. Romero 2. John Carpenter 3. Lucio Fulci 4. Tobe Hooper 5. Alfred Hirchcock

And there is lots of other good directors.
SplatteriPoika Thursday 5/26/2011 at 12:08 PM | 76838
1) George A. Romero 2) Dario Argento 3) Lucio Fulci 4) John Carpenter 5) Sergio Martino

Honorable Mentions: Terence Fisher, Mario Bava, Tod Browning, Stuart Gordon, Tobe Hooper
MichaelMyersBrother Friday 5/27/2011 at 11:43 PM | 76900