Forums Off Topic
Why is it only in the last 10-15yrs that Hollywood has been

movies?

There was a Spider Man movie from back in the 80's that was truly atrocious and I recently saw a brief bit from a Captain America back in 1990 and lost interest after about 5 minutes.

I was going to suggest that the special effects capabilities necessary to make a good comic book movie weren't available during that day but hey, Star Wars had great special effects and was made in 1977.

Maybe until Batman (1989) studios weren't willing to spend the bucks necessary to make a comic book movie with decent special effects because they weren't sure that there was an audience for them.

Or does it have something to do with Marvel getting involved in the making of the comic book movies that really improved their quality?

Or was it that the comic book movies started getting screenwriters who were real comics fans as opposed to earlier writers of comic book movies not giving a flip about comics? triviadude is offlineReply With Quote
Raptor Tuesday 1/26/2010 at 02:59 AM | 60720
good question...

I think it is because of a couple of things. First, as you mentioned, is that studios were not willing to spend the money on the films.

Realize back then there were the old batman series, the spiderman series and even the superman series. The Superman films were a rare instance of moderate success. There was no real proof that money could be made on those types of movies. Roger Corman tried with his fantastic four film that was never released. Then there was the Captain America film, and even the Punisher with Dolph Lundgren. None of them fared too well.

Second, back in the 80s, comics were still condered a small geek subculture. Now, everybody and their mom's coun reads comics, or watches the cartoons at the very least.

While I am not nearly the fan I used to be, I love hearing kids talk about the origins of certain comic characters bang it solely on the films, such as the organic webbing of the movies versus the mechanical web spinners of the comics....

take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Tuesday 1/26/2010 at 10:57 PM | 60738
good point. the movie/comic/game world seems to be like the Terminator - "sytematic".
aceofspades70 Friday 2/05/2010 at 03:53 AM | 61172