Forums Off Topic
It's Official! "Avatar" is Highest Grossing Film of All Time

I copied this from a movie forum below. I am assuming it's the truth?

On Monday, James Cameron's "Avatar" took in the $2 million needed to become the highest grosng film of all time. It has now surpassed Cameron's "Titanic," which previously held the record with $1.84 billion, and is on its way to break the $2 billion mark.

"Avatar" has also become the highest grosng film internationally, but is still trailing "Titanic" domestically by around $45 million. It is expected that the domestic record will be broken within two weeks.

Not to take away from what "Avatar" has accomplished, but the record doesn't account for inflation or the higher ticket prices for 3D and IMAX theaters.

But that doesn't matter for 20th Century Fox, which is said to take in $918 million in profits before Cameron gets his cut.
Raptor Tuesday 1/26/2010 at 11:33 PM | 60740
I copied this from a movie forum below. I am assuming it's the truth?

On Monday, James Cameron's "Avatar" took in the $2 million needed to become the highest grosng film of all time. It has now surpassed Cameron's "Titanic," which previously held the record with $1.84 billion, and is on its way to break the $2 billion mark.

"Avatar" has also become the highest grosng film internationally, but is still trailing "Titanic" domestically by around $45 million. It is expected that the domestic record will be broken within two weeks.

Not to take away from what "Avatar" has accomplished, but the record doesn't account for inflation or the higher ticket prices for 3D and IMAX theaters.

But that doesn't matter for 20th Century Fox, which is said to take in $918 million in profits before Cameron gets his cut.

Now the question is WHEN will it over take Titanic's domestic box office score?

It's already past the Dark Knight putting it at number 2.
DaShape Saturday 1/30/2010 at 06:48 PM | 60875
I say this weekend!
feastonscraps18 Saturday 1/30/2010 at 07:50 PM | 60879
as long as twilight 2 looses.
thebeyond105 Monday 2/08/2010 at 09:31 AM | 61323
Watched it at the weekend. It was certainly better than Titanic but at the same time it was no Goodfellas either. But, saying that I really enjoyed it.
Sourfacedbastard Tuesday 2/09/2010 at 06:31 AM | 61388
This movie doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. The story doesn't interest me and the CG Ethiopian Smurfs don't interest me for shit. I don't even think I'll watch it on DVD.
JackOLantern Wednesday 2/10/2010 at 05:01 AM | 61441
its official!

the movie made as much bank as it did because tickets are stupid high to go see it especially the 3d veron

i want to see comparisons to people in seats not money

it still doesnt compare to how many people went to go see gone with the wind, jaws and star wars

if those movies had ticket prices like avatar NOBODY would ever be able to touch that amount of money EVER
Johnny Bisco Monday 2/22/2010 at 02:24 AM | 62090
Lame. Can't stand this movie.
TaRmAn1986 Monday 7/12/2010 at 12:54 PM | 65024