Forums Horror Collectibles
Dawn of the Dead: 1979 or 2004

Which Dawn film is your fave and why?

Dawn 1979 was always my fave zombie film and I have the 4 disc Ultimate Edition on dvd plus the ngle dvd edition and I have it on vhs as well.

But when I saw the 2004 remake in the theater......I loved it. That's why the 2004 film is now my all time fave zombie film. It had great characters and actors in it, the zombie makeup was awesome and the kills were great, the running zombies were great, etc....

It's really not a remake cause it has nothing to do with the original at all bedes there being a mall in the flick. They are 2 different films really.

What's more scary.....having zombies haul ass after you or seeing an old person with a walker outrun a slow ass moving zombie?

To me the 2004 rules!!!!
Raptor Saturday 1/30/2010 at 05:23 PM | 60865
I'm going to go with Synder's 2004.

I love the original but there's just something about the remake . . . I can't put my finger on it but it's pretty much my favorite zombie flick to date.
DaShape Saturday 1/30/2010 at 06:28 PM | 60867
I have really enjoyed the re-make but it is not as great as the origional one IMO but as was said above they are really two seperate movies. The idea of the running zombies made for a very fun threat to the ones still trying to survive but I just enjoyed the origional cast the most and I think alot of that has to do with the origional being one of the very first zombie films I ever watched.
cropsy Saturday 1/30/2010 at 06:34 PM | 60871
I like the 04 one more.

I never really liked the original that much but the 04 kicks ass
chubacabra Saturday 1/30/2010 at 06:58 PM | 60877
To me, there's no question. George A. Romero's 1978 Dawn of the Dead is the winner. It's my favorite of George's zombie flicks, and definitely my favorite serious one of all time.

The 2004 Dawn of the Dead wasn't bad, I just prefer the older... well, everything. The slow moving zombies, the 1978 mall atmosphere, Tom Savini's groundbreaking effects. The characters are great, too. Stephen being a bit of a dullard was amung, and his relationship with Francine was definitely interesting to watch grow (while life as they know it is seemingly coming to an end). I love the friendship between Peter and Roger. *SPOILER* The moments before Roger's transformation are some of the best in the film. Scott Reiniger did a great job with that. Looking at both films, I don't knock Snyder's veron at all. I'm just personally a big fan of the original.
Myers31TKD Saturday 1/30/2010 at 08:31 PM | 60880
To be honest I don't hate on the remake. It is what it is and its enjoyable enough. Some so-called originals which are really re-hashes anyway could take notes.

But the original is full of charm as well as great sequences I love so that got my vote.
feastonscraps18 Saturday 1/30/2010 at 08:35 PM | 60881
I'll have to go with the Original Dawn of the Dead 1979.

The new one just didn't feel right. Day of the Dead has always been my favorite Zombie movie until i saw Lucio Fulci's Zombi 2/Zombie. Fright rags made a kick ass Zombie vs Shark shirt and i love it. It has the only Shark/Zombie battle i've ever seen in a movie. Off topic i know but The Original Dawn would be my choice.
Bloodynose Saturday 1/30/2010 at 11:37 PM | 60883
Always a hard one....But I go with 79....The nostalgia and memories I have with that film is untouched, it was THE FILM that got me into horror movies.....I remember watching this at x years old and I will never forget that day....The atmosphere of the film, the characters, the feeling of dread and being alone just really comes out in the film.

I saw the 2004 remake in theaters, and I enjoyed it a lot!! The only thing that still irks me about the film is the whole Zombie baby portion.....but hard issue on the fast/slow zombie thing....I've always associated the fast zombies as 'The Infected' not truly the living dead.....A slow moving creature to me is a Zombie.......

But both are great films, but 79 gets my vote
BrandyWine Saturday 1/30/2010 at 11:42 PM | 60884
Damn...some of you guys REALLY like the remake huh? it was a fun movie....but the original is a horror institution. Its up there in the trophy case of best ever horrors. Original all the way.
ny ghoul Sunday 1/31/2010 at 05:30 AM | 60897
The original is my favorite by far.

One of my favorite zombie movies of all time.
Snoballz Sunday 1/31/2010 at 09:41 AM | 60917
Original all the way!! I could go on forever explaining why the remake didn't do it for me

It's not even on my top 10 zombie list
kaizu Monday 2/01/2010 at 01:59 AM | 60940
In addition, Fulci's Zombi 3 had already introduced the fast moving zombie and a woman giving birth to a zombie child. I don't find the remake new at all
kaizu Monday 2/01/2010 at 06:07 AM | 60958
'78 original. The remake was a soulless piece of shit.
JackOLantern Saturday 2/06/2010 at 12:35 AM | 61197
Original...

The reason why is the quirky mall Goblin Score. The fat lady over the P.A. and everything else about it...just golden. Both films are good, but the remakes last characters pissed me off. They did stupid things like lets chase the dog thru the field of zombies,lets leave the secure mall where we have everything. The original they were forced out and the remake they left safety. Damn Humans are stupid. Spock would have definitely called that illogical

Matthew Mayhem Sunday 2/07/2010 at 09:45 AM | 61246
in my opinion they are both VERY different movies. only thing that's the same is that they both take place in a mall. That being said, the original is still better. but the remake is also awesome in my opinion. but they are both different movies. that's why when a remake comes out i usually try not to think of it as a remake but a movie all on it's own, and doing that makes me never disappointed when comparing it to the original. Except for Prom Night that movie just plain sucked.
thebeyond105 Monday 2/08/2010 at 09:22 AM | 61321
in my opinion they are both VERY different movies. only thing that's the same is that they both take place in a mall. That being said, the original is still better. but the remake is also awesome in my opinion. but they are both different movies. that's why when a remake comes out i usually try not to think of it as a remake but a movie all on it's own, and doing that makes me never disappointed when comparing it to the original. Except for Prom Night that movie just plain sucked.

I'm not comparing it to the original at all. I just think it's a piece of shit.
JackOLantern Monday 2/08/2010 at 07:54 PM | 61344
original
woodenheart Tuesday 4/06/2010 at 08:59 PM | 63371
Hard to say, I haven't seen the original in a really long time....I'll have to pick one up somewhere and watch it. I love the remake though...but more as it's own movie, can't compare to what you don't remember. Me and Lisa watch the remake all the time, I know it's her favorite.

I'll have to get back to you on this after I watch the 1st one

kweandee Wednesday 4/07/2010 at 02:11 PM | 63383
For me it's evenly matched. There's nothing like an original but the remake had a slight edge to it, I don't know why really. The majority of both movies takes place in a mall and that's very appealing to me for some reason. Both movies also have great casts and of course great zombie killing.
DrenTheLiar Wednesday 4/07/2010 at 11:02 PM | 63398
Gotta go with Romero on this one guys. The Re-Make was cool, I realy liked it, but the infected to me are not true zombies. Yeah I seperated them. If your undead corpse hauls ass and has a margin of intellegence its one of the infected, a zombie is mply an animated corpse witht he most bac of all instincts.... eating. I may be off on my opinon, but its just how I view it. I ahve both verons of course But, to me, Romero will ALWAYS be the king of the zombie films, errrr ... with Fulci being a VERY close second mind you
Harvey0005 Wednesday 4/07/2010 at 11:23 PM | 63400
I watched the remake again over the Easter break, and to be honest I think the first half of the film is great and then Snyder just lets the whole thing slip away from him. The beginning is tense, biting, moody....then as the film progresses it becomes a comic book in a bad way. Its all subjective but damn, the OG buries the remake imo.
ny ghoul Thursday 4/08/2010 at 04:29 AM | 63406
This is tough one. Both movies are great in there own respects. The romero one was ground breaking on many levels and is burned into alot of peoples minds including my own. Savini's effects work was incredible for the time and still holds up pretty well today. I do however feel that the film dragged on quite a bit and the overall look of most of the dead (the blue/gray) paint didn't look good then and is even worse now. I kind of felt like is was hard to be afraid of most of them.

The remake was a a

better paced movie and had some very creepy and tense moments. I felt that the

makeup would have been better if they had gone for a little more of a dead look rather than infected.

I would also liked to see some more character development.

It seems like its almost imposble to find a really good zombie movie theese days (hate to say it but even romero has lost his steam) and i would say that the dawn remake is the best zombie movie i have seen in many years.

The bottom line is that i think that all things condered the remake is a a

better movie.
robocop Wednesday 4/21/2010 at 07:34 PM | 63612
Original. I love the Goblin soundtrack.
Matthew Mayhem Saturday 5/08/2010 at 07:57 PM | 63788
i like the recut that argento did of the original better than romeros cut
Johnny Bisco Wednesday 5/12/2010 at 07:20 PM | 63845
Honestly, for me its definately '04. I deeply respect the original and everything. But the 2004 veron appealed more to me mply.

In all fairness, however, i'm a bit of a gore-monger and consequently have more of a taste for the bloodier re-makes of horror these days as opposed to the well written,original movies from those days.

Total respect to the clascs,though.
pantera11431 Saturday 5/15/2010 at 07:18 AM | 63987
The original Dawn of the Dead FTW!

The 2004 veron is fun to watch. The original has a better plot and more character development. The things the characters did in the original veron took a lot more survival skills too!
TaRmAn1986 Thursday 7/08/2010 at 02:22 PM | 64975