Forums Horror Movie Talk
Fangoria Magazine may be dead

I just saw this on the main te. interesting article and has me wondering if print media is truly dying out?
customcritters Wednesday 2/03/2010 at 02:47 AM | 61061
sorry meant to post the link

href="http://www.horrorbid.com/blog/blog1.php/2010/02/02/the-death-of-fangoria">http://www.horrorbid.com/blog/blog1.php ... f-fangoria
customcritters Wednesday 2/03/2010 at 02:48 AM | 61062
Yo that's crazy isn't it? Crazy if its gone forever.
joelsparks Wednesday 2/03/2010 at 02:58 AM | 61063
GOOD GRIEF CHARLIE BROW!

Raptor Wednesday 2/03/2010 at 04:19 AM | 61064
More than likely they aren't gone but I have to admit that their unexplained absence from the web the past few weeks is extremely bizarre to say the least.

You'd think they would have updated their fan following at least but so far everyone seems as confused as us.Even Shock Till You Drop made mention of this a few days ago on their Twitter account and I quote, "What happened to Fango's webte? Should I be worried?"

NY Ghoul said someone from Fango was on his set not too long ago so that's a potive gn.

I want to take a guess that they are restructuring completely (which does happen from time to time) but little to no warning is what churns the rumor mill.

Even though Fango's content has shifted over the years they are still a corner stone of the horror genre.

Anybody who calls themselves a horror fan (rather they like the magazine or not) knows the name Fango.

I don't personally subscribe to the magazine but I'd pick one up and flip through it when I see them on the stands.

I also (did) vit their webte at least weekly so a blank page with no explanation was a surprise coming from the camp of an established horror veteran. I mean how cool was it in Army of Darkness when Bruce Campbell flipped open the trunk of the car and there was an issue of Fango buried in the mess?!

Again, I think print is going to die a slow . . . agonizing death eventually just like CD's a VHS.

The popularity of the Kindle and the Ipad are proof that this is going to happen.

It still might take a long time but it's coming.

I think horror magazines (if they were smart) should start shifting to online news . . . no, not right this second but forging a strategic plan that plots out the trantion over a set period of time would probably be in their favor.
DaShape Wednesday 2/03/2010 at 07:36 AM | 61068
Mike was on set this past Sunday and was actually doing a piece on the film. I don't want to go into things too much, but eventually I do think the print might go into the annals of history. Nothing definate but the rumours do swirl. As for it ending completely, thats not happening anytime soon. As far as conventions go, we talked about that as well. This has to do entirely with Creation which ran the Weekend of Horror events. Most people weren't too happy with them anyway.

As for a Fango Con, we're hoping that something/someone can step up. Some of you in the NY/NJ area might remember a few years back when Fango teamed up with the folks at CHILLER to bring a pretty awesome convention event.

Fangoria is and has been an institution of America horror for decades now and its something we all grew up with. Over the years it might have expanded into lighter territories, no doubt to increase revenue, but one cannot deny its importance to the American horror genre and history. It saddened me to actually read posts on the front page thread where people actually said things like "GOOD RIDDANCE". The more we lose, the less we gain. I for one do not want to see the print OR webte end. FANGO is an American horror institution.
ny ghoul Wednesday 2/03/2010 at 05:33 PM | 61078
You're right NY Ghoul and I agree with 99% of what you said. But one thing you have to remember is fans and horror fans in general like to be treated like decent human beings and there moderators and editiors are plain rude to people. That needs to change. I don't want to see the magazine die but they have been pompus for a long time and maybe getting knocked down a peg is what they need to realize the people that made them what they are aren't morons. That's just my two cents.
BrandyWine Wednesday 2/03/2010 at 05:56 PM | 61080
I don't comment here a lot. Mainly just read and NY Ghoul ususally enjoy what you have to say and I semi see your point here.

My problem is. If Fangoria wouldn't have just went offline without saying something none of this would even be an issue. How do you treat your fans like that? They bacally pulled the plug with no reason given.
BIGKen Wednesday 2/03/2010 at 06:56 PM | 61081
You guys are probably right. It's only a matter of time before print media is dead either way. I hate to see Fango go mply because I grew up with it. But I also hated to see Married with Children get canceled. I got over it.

Life goes on I guess.
customcritters Wednesday 2/03/2010 at 07:34 PM | 61082
Yo it looks like other people are liking the story also.
href="http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=13969">http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/to ... p?id=13969
joelsparks Wednesday 2/03/2010 at 07:59 PM | 61083
I think that if and when the print were to end, they'd do it in style. Thats if they knew in advance. Its a buness and just like shops that are there one day and the next day are inexplicably closed? the same can happen with a magazine. I can tell you that from Tony, Mike to guys like Tom Weaver, these are all NY guys that grew up together and its a family type tuation. They live for horror and dont want to sell any fans short. That I can tell you for sure.

As for MODS on their te and what not? I dont know how much time the editors and people in charge of the zine have to check in and audit their forum. I hear you though, nothing worse that a forum that can be cool but is ruined by clique-ish and pompous moderators.
ny ghoul Wednesday 2/03/2010 at 08:48 PM | 61084
This is sad news reagardless.

Question, in a few years or 10 do you think Horrorbid will be held as the same type of corner stone that Fango once did? I personally do myself.
oldskool Wednesday 2/03/2010 at 09:04 PM | 61085
You're right NY Ghoul and I agree with 99% of what you said. But one thing you have to remember is fans and horror fans in general like to be treated like decent human beings and there moderators and editiors are plain rude to people. That needs to change. I don't want to see the magazine die but they have been pompus for a long time and maybe getting knocked down a peg is what they need to realize the people that made them what they are aren't morons. That's just my two cents.

exactly. I used to post there a lot.
aceofspades70 Thursday 2/04/2010 at 12:06 AM | 61100
To be honest I'm pretty indifferent to whether Fango survives or not. I loved it through the 80s and into the early 90s. I found that by the mid-90s it seemed to be really going downhill and by the end of the decade it was the magazine of my youth in name only. There was nothing left of the Fango I loved as a teenager so as far as I'm concerned the magazine died over a decade ago. That's just my opinion, no more right or wrong than anyone else's.
lblambert Thursday 2/04/2010 at 12:44 AM | 61101
Funny in the Shock article comments where the editor of Girls & Corpses used the Fango topic to promote their magazine
DaShape Thursday 2/04/2010 at 02:47 AM | 61116
Let's be honest, Fagoria hasn't been "good" in YEARS. The magazine is a piece of shit with the most bullshit dishonest reviews and "Fango Seal Of Approval" praise for shitty movies. It was obvious just flipping through that rag that they played favorites with advertisers and seemed to only praise East Coast indie filmmakers (when they even bothered to show love to indies). That retard Dr. Cyclops (who's probably Tony Timpone or some other pussy "name" from Fagoria but is too dickless to print his real name) talks in the third person. Their webte sucked and was hardly ever updated and they hated on every other horror te and magazine around. They ran the Fagoria name into the ground over a decade ago.

JackOLantern Saturday 2/06/2010 at 12:13 AM | 61191
Let's be honest, Fagoria hasn't been "good" in YEARS. The magazine is a piece of shit with the most bullshit dishonest reviews and "Fango Seal Of Approval" praise for shitty movies. It was obvious just flipping through that rag that they played favorites with advertisers and seemed to only praise East Coast indie filmmakers (when they even bothered to show love to indies). That retard Dr. Cyclops (who's probably Tony Timpone or some other pussy "name" from Fagoria but is too dickless to print his real name) talks in the third person. Their webte sucked and was hardly ever updated and they hated on every other horror te and magazine around. They ran the Fagoria name into the ground over a decade ago.Couldn't agree more!

pamelavoorheesRIP Saturday 2/06/2010 at 12:17 AM | 61192