Forums Horror Collectibles
What constitues a Mask Maker...

Okay I was viting another forum and a member posted a topic of underrated mask makers. "Who do you think is underrated?"

Well that got to me thinking after I had seen many responses and I want to know what you think makes a mask maker. Do you feel you must do the whole thing from start to finish?... sculpt, poring molds to painting etc...What about repainting someone else mask? Do you think that buying molds of other sculpts and painting the product up makes a mask maker? Do you think you just have to make something and no matter how bad it is you are still condered a Mask Maker? Do you think that there is a certain point where someone is praised by other Mask Makers and that makes you a Mask Maker. Just curious to see your thoughts.

Personally I believe that you must have a knowledge of all aspects of the act and have done all of these successfully. Sculpting Molding Pouring and Painting...What do you think?

Matthew Mayhem Monday 2/15/2010 at 06:18 AM | 61775
I agree with you, a mask "maker" would have to be involved in every aspect of the process from sculpt all the way through to paint.
gummi Monday 2/15/2010 at 08:59 AM | 61776
MM, I agree with you, a true mask maker must be fluent in all facets of the mask making process. I can paint a mask well....doesn't qualify me as a mask maker. You have to be able to sculpt from the ground up. Buying molds and recasting happens and its par for the course regardless of what people's ethical opinions are about it but the bottom line is an artist is a master of a craft and that means he/she can handle the full spectrum of it all.

I think most good mask sellers get their due praise but one thing I definately notice is that there are mask makers who have "fan club" followings. Theres also the trend of the year that gets followed. When I first dabbled in the Myers hobby, Terry was god. There was a million threads praing him. The tides turn and these days you have a guy like Nik who is praised by the masses but is maligned by a solid bunch as well, and you have a guy like Justin who gets a ton of praise for all his masks.

I love Justin's work (own two of his masks), I love Nik's work (own one of his), but the guy who gets my nod

as the best and most under-appreciated

at times is Sam McCain. He quietly churns out some of the BEST Myers masks and the quality and price are unbeatable. Sam has always respected the fan's wallet which is a rare thing and the guy is a legend....a horror lifer who has been at it when most of the people on forums weren't even born.

Anyway, Im straying from the original point here.... the main point is...an artist knows his craft.
ny ghoul Monday 2/15/2010 at 03:58 PM | 61781
In order to call yourself a mask maker, then you must create it yourself from the ground up. There is none of this buying molds and painting it yourself garbage. Damn near anyone can do that, and are. Just look at the masve influx of people buying molds and putting out product.

Rehairing and repainting an existing mask also is not what truly constitutes a mask maker. I know I am probably ruffling some feathers here, but I am tired of guys who just buy molds from real mask makers and automatically think they are one...

take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Monday 2/15/2010 at 04:34 PM | 61785
In order to call yourself a mask maker, then you must create it yourself from the ground up. There is none of this buying molds and painting it yourself garbage. Damn near anyone can do that, and are. Just look at the masve influx of people buying molds and putting out product.

Rehairing and repainting an existing mask also is not what truly constitutes a mask maker. I know I am probably ruffling some feathers here, but I am tired of guys who just buy molds from real mask makers and automatically think they are one...

take care, Tommy

WELL SAID TOMMY
customcritters Monday 2/15/2010 at 04:38 PM | 61786
This takes nothing away from those that are really talented at making "converons" of masks or when several artists put out a collaborative piece focung on their particular strenghts in the process, but overall I agree with Mayhem that when I see the term "mask-maker" I envion someone who has created the sculpt from the ground up, poured the mold, takes the raw pull and then does the paint, cuts, etc.
deathrisingup Monday 2/15/2010 at 05:04 PM | 61789
btw...

outstanding discuson question Matt...

take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Monday 2/15/2010 at 07:50 PM | 61792
I would also say they need to do the whole process IMO as buying a mold and doing it or painting blanks is nice work but not enough to be called a "mask maker"
cropsy Monday 2/15/2010 at 11:29 PM | 61800
Thanks Tommy. Here is an extenon of the question. At what point are you condered an Artist in this industry? Many people can pick up a paint gun or sponge and do it your self. Ive done things my self and sold them, but I dont conder my self an Artist in this industry. I see some paint ups that Im just not impressed with, but others praise it and buy. Does that make the person an artist if they sell a product? Lee has painted some blanks himself and I was amazed at the outcome, Would someone that has done this be condered an Artist?

Im sure some feathers will get ruffled. Not the intention of the discuson though. I think we are all on the same page for the most part.
Matthew Mayhem Tuesday 2/16/2010 at 03:20 AM | 61814
I'm not to familiar with the mask maker part of this but are we talking about masks in general or the Michael Myers masks that I see a lot on this te?
Raptor Tuesday 2/16/2010 at 03:22 AM | 61815
i have done a lot of research on this mask making process and it's time consuming, painting masks is a very important part of the mask making process, but it is only a part

i thought about making my own mask but from what i have read no ones first masks come out too great and i dont think i have what it takes to stick with it
Fred55x Tuesday 2/16/2010 at 03:59 AM | 61818
I'm not to familiar with the mask maker part of this but are we talking about masks in general or the Michael Myers masks that I see a lot on this te?Masks in General
Matthew Mayhem Tuesday 2/16/2010 at 04:27 AM | 61826

take care, Tommy

WELL SAID TOMMY

I agree. Remake anyone?
aceofspades70 Tuesday 2/23/2010 at 03:58 AM | 62138