Forums Horror Movie Talk
Suggestions?? Need Help.

Hey Bidites! I need your help and I couldn't think of a better place to ask then the Master's of Horror here

This Spring I will be redoing a room in my house from top to bottom...new carpeting, new paint on the walls, etc.

This is gonna be my Halloween/Horror room, aka my "woman cave"

So I need help with some ideas as to what colors I should get for the carpet and what color I should paint the walls.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! I will be displaying all of my masks in this room, all of my autographs from Horror celebs I have met and then a lot of my awesome Halloween items.

So I want the colors to go along w/ the theme of it all.

Can anyone help???

Thanks!

<3 Kimmy
KimmyBlanks Friday 3/12/2010 at 05:57 PM | 62953
I would like a display room with orange walls to get that Halloweenish feel
kaizu Friday 3/12/2010 at 09:25 PM | 62960
My friend recently painted one of his rooms jack o lantern orange with a black trim around the doors and green window shutters. it looks great with all the retro halloween decorations he's got up in that room. I like the halloween colors for decorations, vintage masks and the like but if you're going to display masks, autographs, etc I'd go for a classy look of black and white, studio like if you will. Not as cozy as the halloween colors but it looks real nice.
ny ghoul Saturday 3/13/2010 at 03:01 AM | 62966
The Black and White is a great idea!! I didn't even think of that! so would you say Black carpeting and white walls? I was also thinking of like a grayish carpet and midnight blue walls but I suck at interior decorating so I dunno if that's a good idea lol.

The vintage Halloween room you were talking about sounds amazing
KimmyBlanks Saturday 3/13/2010 at 05:10 AM | 62971
Well I wouldn't paint the walls any form of dark color... Causes depreson and YES this is true! I know...

Personally I've always been fond of Deep Red carpet and either a Light Grey or White walls... Personally if you feel you are able to I'd paint grey stone work on the walls... Kinda gives it a castle type of feel...

I also like the black carpet white walls... And or Dark read carpet with white walls also...

I also think that the indoor outdoor multicolored carpet looks nice. Like maybe a Dark Blue, White, Black Speckled carpet with bright white walls... I think that would be superb! Or even Red, Blad speckled carpet...

Dunno... But there's a shit load of combinations thrown your way! lol

--Ryan
Harry Warden Saturday 3/13/2010 at 05:50 AM | 62973
kimmy, I used to install flooring for a living, so let me suggest this. Get a deep red plush carpet with new 6 pound pad underneath so it feels good on your feet.

Then I would paint 3 walls a very light shade of red, satin finish. Pain the 4th wall dark red, something a few shades darker than the carpet. This would be your "accent" wall.

From the top of the light colored walls, take some of the leftover dark red from your accent wall and let it drip down like blood. That will act as a border around the top of your 3 walls.

Gloss black trim throughout and then you can decorate to your dere with posters, collectibles, etc.

Oh, and use dark orange/black for curtains on the windows.

We want pictures when you're done!
aceofspades70 Saturday 3/13/2010 at 01:51 PM | 62980
kimmy, I used to install flooring for a living, so let me suggest this. Get a deep red plush carpet with new 6 pound pad underneath so it feels good on your feet.

Then I would paint 3 walls a very light shade of red, satin finish. Pain the 4th wall dark red, something a few shades darker than the carpet. This would be your "accent" wall.

From the top of the light colored walls, take some of the leftover dark red from your accent wall and let it drip down like blood. That will act as a border around the top of your 3 walls.

Gloss black trim throughout and then you can decorate to your dere with posters, collectibles, etc.

Oh, and use dark orange/black for curtains on the windows.

We want pictures when you're done

Damn man... LOL! Writer AND Handyman Interior Decorator!!! Nice! This actually doesnt sound to bad, but I can't get past the orange curtan part. I think I'd go with black. Yes that would definatley be kool!

--Ryan
Harry Warden Sunday 3/14/2010 at 07:12 AM | 62993
WOW!!!!! Harry and Aceofspades I can't thank you guys enough for all your suggestions!! They have actually helped me come up with some great things to add to what you have already said! Thanks soo much! You will defintitely see pictures as soon as it's done.

Of course it's gonna take time and money but when it's all said and done I will be sure to show you all of it!

Ace...My husband and I are going to tearing up our old carpet and installing the new ones ourselves.

Of course we have never done it and have no idea what we are doing... can you help with any suggestions?? Or give us any pointers on what to do? When we lift up our old carpet its just cement flooring.

Thanks guys!! you ROCK!

KimmyBlanks Monday 3/15/2010 at 04:34 PM | 63031
Kind of hard to explain carpet installation in words, lol, but here goes.

Providing that your carpet is big enough to cover the floor without adding a piece and having to glue a seam together, here's what you do...Yes, if the tack strip is still good, leave it down! Installing tack strip on concrete is a pain.

If you put down new, apply liquid nails on the bottom of the strip and place it about 1/2 inch away from the baseboard if the baseboard is above the surface a bit, or if the baseboard is touching the floor, about 1/4 inch away. Let the liquid nails set up for about an hour. Then hammer the nails into the concrete. You don't have to go wild on the hammer, just keep a steady pace and let the hammer do the work.

Then roll the pad out and make sure the slick de is up. (it should unroll itself that way anyway) Cut it next to the tack strip with a utility knife and glue it down around the edges with some adheve. About a 12" wide strip of glue will suffice. Just use duct tape to cover the joints.

Lay your carpet out and use a knee kicker to bump it against the tack strip. You may be able to rent one. Start in one corner with the carpet, cut the edge down with a knife and tuck it in with a "carpet wedge". Then take the knee kicker and bump the carpet up toward the next corner. This "stretches" the carpet against the tack strip and holds it in place. Cut that corner down and tuck it in. The go along that wall and cut the edge down leaving about 1/4 an inch to tuck underneath the baseboard.

Kick the next corner over and do it again along the next wall.

The go along the 3rd and 4th wall about 6" at a time with the kicker and bump it against your tack strip, and use the wedge to push it down against the tack strip. It should hold in place.

Cut the edges down with your knife, tuck them in, and you're done. That's the best way I can explain it! Hope it works and good luck. If you run into any problems, you might want to call an installer to do it. I would, but I'm not sure how far away you are, lol.

So you'll need:

carpet wedge knee kicker adheve for the pad hammer utility knife

Good luck!
aceofspades70 Monday 3/15/2010 at 07:30 PM | 63034
wow i was going to suggest ung wallpaper like in one of the motel rooms in psycho but what do i know lol
Johnny Bisco Monday 3/15/2010 at 07:34 PM | 63035
not bad Bisco. Maybe she could decorate each wall as a different theme.
aceofspades70 Tuesday 3/16/2010 at 12:22 AM | 63049
Ace...you are awesome!!! Thanks soo much for all your help!! I really appreciate it!

KimmyBlanks Tuesday 3/16/2010 at 04:13 PM | 63051
...anytime.

aceofspades70 Wednesday 3/17/2010 at 06:01 PM | 63073