Forums Horror Collectibles
an open letter to BIG LATEX

Dear BIG LATEX officials,

you guys have been shutting down webtes that sell unlicensed Myers masks and have put a halt on ebay acutions etc.

while that is your right to do so and we the fans can do nothing about it, we think you are misng what the real problem is.

your licensed masks suck, period. there i said it, they are complete and total crap and look nothing like whats in the movies the only items that are licensed and get it right are the figures, t-shirts etc.

there would have never been in indie mask "problem" if you guys would make good masks, it seems that you only cater to the general public who buy a white masks from PMG who say "im going to be myers for halloween" then throw them away november 1st and dont know any better.

those of us die hard fans know what myers is supposed to look like and what is put out year after year looks nothing like him, we want the real deal that is what we collect that is what we like.

hell even your hero Rob Zombie has bought unlicensed masks in the past, what does that tell you?

when fans are paying 100 to 500 dollars on superb masks be it from the makers themselves or on ebay shouldnt a lightbulb be going off in your head?

go ahead and keep letting companies put out the total crap that comes out every halloween, but if you truly cared you would also put out high end masks that look like the real deal for those of us willing to pay that kind of money.

money is the only thing you care about so let me appeal to your wallets for a moment........... start putting out high end masks that look like the real deal in the 100 to 150 dollar range year round not just halloween YEAR ROUND, there are THOUSANDS of us who are dying for good old michael myers goodness that you fail to deliver.

think of the money you would make if you did. MONEY, GREEN, BENJAMINS, CASH

you truly do the hardcore fans a disservice by not catering to us at all which eventually (if it hasnt already) will leave a bad taste in our mouths.

who do you think keeps the franchise alive? we do, everytime a new movie comes out the general public go out in droves to see the movie, but who buys every ngle dvd that comes out when you release yet another "special edition" and quadruple dip us? WE DO! who buys every limited edition figure that costs 50 to 100 bucks? WE DO! not the averge joe who buys a "myers" mask from pmg and hip bonez for halloween at the local halloween usa.

Michael Myers is an icon to us, not just another movie to watch when we are bored, we want quality merchandise and are willing to pay for it so whats the hold up? afraid you wont make the investment back?

i guarantee you would! advertise a great looking mask on any official te and watch them fly off the shelves. but until that day comes you will have indie makers making what we want, you may be able to shut down the tes but they wont go away, it may be underground but they will be there.

heres another idea for you, how about instead of punishing those who make great quality masks HIRE THEM! they already know how to make them and what we as fans want.

the ball is in your court

ncerely Michael Myers fans everywhere
Johnny Bisco Saturday 5/15/2010 at 10:50 AM | 63996

money is the only thing you care about so let me appeal to your wallets for a moment........... start putting out high end masks that look like the real deal in the 100 to 150 dollar range year round not just halloween YEAR ROUND, there are THOUSANDS of us who are dying for good old michael myers goodness that you fail to deliver. Best point, right there Bisco!
DrenTheLiar Saturday 5/15/2010 at 01:25 PM | 63999
thank you matt
Johnny Bisco Saturday 5/15/2010 at 02:32 PM | 64006
Agree 100%

j
JustinBF Saturday 5/15/2010 at 02:36 PM | 64007
I haven't been following this to long so I am not epert by any means but here are my feeling about Trancas. I don't want any ill feelings either I am just stating what any of us would be if we owned a property like masks or movies. Think of it this way, can you go into a mall or open a webte and sell burned DVD's without the studios coming after you, no. Same with this.

Yes it sucks that they don't put out good masks but that is there deal. And truth be told that is probably why all this happened. They probably will release something good soon. Who knows but at the end of the day they paid money for something and when enough people start to make money off that compaines do what they have to. It's just like if any of us owned the company.

I totally understand what you are saying though about not listening to the fans but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter. They can do what they want. It sucks but that's the truth. Again no disrespect to anyone as I think this blows to. I like collecting but I knew this day would come.
Dunge44 Saturday 5/15/2010 at 05:36 PM | 64037
trancas, lol now when you try to typle the company name it says big latex, too funny.

Dunge44 Saturday 5/15/2010 at 05:37 PM | 64038
Trancas. Trancas. Trancas.

I just had to try it. Great letter, Johnny!

-G
H30 Saturday 5/15/2010 at 07:24 PM | 64042
Imagine the satisfaction so many people would have, going to their local Halloween shop come Autumn and being able to buy a killer looking Michael Myers mask. If its about money, then make your fans happy! Hell, theres an entire series of films to make masks of.....Big Latex...c'mon. The witch hunt has to end.
ny ghoul Sunday 5/16/2010 at 03:41 AM | 64073

B I G

L A T E X

bastards!!!
Halloween Sunday 5/16/2010 at 04:01 AM | 64076
Couldn't have said it better,man.
pantera11431 Sunday 5/16/2010 at 07:14 AM | 64086
Couldn't have said it better,man.

Agreed. This is so stupid really. I can understand why it makes these people mad, but thiink of the people who expect a usual payment from their idie masks. This puts a hole in their pockets and makes the mold almost useless...

HockeyMaskManiac Monday 5/17/2010 at 08:30 PM | 64190
very well said OP, I couldn't agree more.

What always bugs me is that they make masks anyway, it's not like we're asking for something they don't make. It wouldn't cost anymore money to make them "Right" then it does to make them at all.

Release the Wayne Toth sculpt and let that be an official mask. Make a clean one and dirtier one. Granted alot of us are going to repaint or rehair it anyway, but at least we'd have an official mask that actually looks good and accurate.

It's accuracy. Big Latex fails to see that people will pay a lot for accuracy, they think they're just being ripped off.

They would actually make MORE money. Think of how many casual people buy a Myers mask each year, now take that number and add all the diehard Myers fans who would also buy an official, accurate mask.

So say at Halloween time they sell 10,000. masks. If the mask looks good it'd ealy be another 5,000 to 10,000. bought from the die hard fans. Now instead of selling 10,000. masks you've sold 20,000.

I mean they're making the masks anyway, why is it so hard for them to make a mask that actually looks like the movie?

It's not like any cheap generic white face is going to cut it with anyone who knows anything about Myers.
Don Carpenter Thursday 5/27/2010 at 06:41 PM | 64494
Just running all of this stuff through my mind I can't help but find a few points that need to be talked about. I'm just a green horn when it comes down to knowing anything about this tuation, but it seems to me that even the un-accurate masks run between $40-$50. So if these big corporations did start to take more time in there mask line, wouldn't that cost them a little more money to make each one??? Lets face it... There's no way ANY machine is going to make the kind of quality we collect. To start with, the stuff we collect is ALL done by hand. What machine can do that?

Second, If there un-accurate "Slapped Together" masks are running between the price ranges of $40 - $50 then one can only imagen how much they would charge for something they had to hand make. Or even invest more money into... To keep up with us hardcore fans do you realise how many artists they would need to hand craft these masks??? Thats more money they would have to pay out just in wages alone...

And as I have already stated, NO machine can do what these indie guys can do... Period...

Even if the sculpts were good and all they needed was a little re-working thats more money we would have to spend out of our pockets just to have that done on top of what they would have to charge.

Not to mention, I have yet to see a mass produced mask at a decent thickness... Most of them are thin as paper and rot within 15 years IF your lucky enough.

These are just a few points I am looking at. And I am SURE that these big latex markets already thought this through and figure they are making enough money from average people that they don't need to go through alot of shit just to find a way to make us happy.

It just wont happen. Most of us go back to the same indie artist anyway when we want something because we like there work. If big corps had a ton of artists making these then we would never have the work of one indie artist.

Thats just another point I thought I'd bring up.

If you ask me, I think they should just leave us indies alone and move on... They make enough from there average people they don't need to worry about the handfull who take it seriously and have fun with it at the same time.

--Ryan
Harry Warden Sunday 6/06/2010 at 06:38 PM | 64624