Forums Horror Movie Talk
Was Freddy vs Jason REALLY So Horrible?

Random thought, I know, but really. I hear alot of horror fans and the like showing contempt, loathing, and just plain hate towards it.

But was FVJ really so terrible? I don't think so. Infact, ill share a little secret with you all... The reason i became a horror fan in the first place........ is because of Freddy vs Jason!

That's right... I said it! It's true. I owe every scrap of horror ANYTHING in my posseson to this movie. And yes, (get yer torches and pitchforks ready) it is my favorite movie of all time.

Never before, nor again in my life have i ever been as excited,stoaked, pumped up, or even giddy about anything as i was for that movie.

That movie did something that no other movie has ever done to me. It's the only movie I ever went to and saw through all the flaws and bad directing, bad acting, etc. and genuinely loved every second of it.

What's my point you ask? I dont know. Just wondering if there's any love out there for it bedes my own.

On a final note:

IN my defense: I may very well be the youngest one here at age 20. therefore, unlike most of you lucky souls. i didn't get the chance to be enthralled by Halloween, NOES, or F13 when they began. Thus cannot be as impacted by them as i should be. so please....don't shoot me. lol
pantera11431 Thursday 8/26/2010 at 02:25 AM | 65668
I don't think it was bad. I looked at it more with a general entertainment value than a straight up horror. It was a fun movie.
TaRmAn1986 Thursday 8/26/2010 at 08:16 AM | 65669
hmmmmm blood, gore, hot chicks, fun storyline, whats not to like?

though i will say the 2 things in the movie i fucking hate with a pason is the jason is afraid of water bullshit, and that kane hodder got screwed by ronny yu

afraid of water my ass! watch part 4, part 6, part 7, part 8 hes in the water with no fear

and kane hodder is far from my favorite jason but he earned the right to be in it and yu bacally bent him over and gave it to him butt good with no ky in favor of someone who shows no respect to the role (ya in case you didnt know kirzinger played mason in stan helng)
Johnny Bisco Thursday 8/26/2010 at 09:38 AM | 65671
I have come to enjoy it more and more and also the fact the one in the shower was from Ginger Snaps so even just the small glimpse we get of them breasts was worth it as she is smoking hot. It didn't live up to the expectations of what I thought should have happened with two horror icons but it was still an entertaining movie. I think that is part of the problem with any vs movie is that everyone has such high expectations of how it should go or who should win and so on.
cropsy Thursday 8/26/2010 at 10:53 AM | 65672
I dug it also, The kill scenes were great(except the Jay wanna be, that was obivious CGI, and stupid), and the storyline/plot was actually really good.

I still also say it was a Tie and that neither of them came out the victor.
zmbgraphics Thursday 8/26/2010 at 02:28 PM | 65675
It was a fun movie no doubt!! But I do have to agree with bisco on the water shit!
WRATHCHILD78 Thursday 8/26/2010 at 05:32 PM | 65684
It was a fun movie no doubt!! But I do have to agree with bisco on the water shit!

and that makes you a wise man!

Johnny Bisco Thursday 8/26/2010 at 09:11 PM | 65685
It's a pretty good movie if you take it for what it is: 1.5 hours of Freddy AND Jason.

Way too often people try to read too much into movies and make them more than they really are. Most movies, horror in particular, are filmed purely for entertainment.Pop some popcorn, light up a doobie (optional), laugh at the bad special effects, applaud the good ones, shrug off the lack of continuity, and most of all, enjoy the movie.
Snoballz Friday 8/27/2010 at 01:54 AM | 65691

I have to disagree with you on this.

The way I took the ending of the film was the Freddy was

clearly the winner.

How you ask?

Well I'll tell you.

So the last scene we see

its all misty & dramatic and Jason come walking out of the lake with Freddy's head in hand and as they pass the camera Freddy winks, right?

Well what I took from that was when Jason was knocked unconscious into the lake he was then subjected to being in the dream world and at Freddy's mercy.

That last scene was to me Jason's dream hence Freddy being able to wink.

Which to me made the movie so much better.

I LOVED that ending!
MDSCREAM Friday 8/27/2010 at 02:08 PM | 65695
It wasn't as bad as I expected, not saying it's a clasc. Like others say, it's just a popcorn flick and I enjoy it from time to time.

I do hate the idea that they didn't use Kane Hodder. That was a dumb move by the director

IMO the battle was a tie. I believe this was done in order to keep the fans from both franchise from bashing each other
kaizu Saturday 8/28/2010 at 09:43 AM | 65733
There is some serious drag in this film.If you more of a Jason Fan than Freddy you might not like this film as much either.
Ghostdude Saturday 8/28/2010 at 01:04 PM | 65742
this is true, im more of a jason guy myself but i do love me some freddy as well!

ill just call it a tie and enjoy the movie for what it is but damn i still cant get over the jason is afraid of water crap

arghhhhhhhhhhh

Johnny Bisco Saturday 8/28/2010 at 02:10 PM | 65746
ill just call it a tie and enjoy the movie for what it is but damn i still cant get over the jason is afraid of water crap

arghhhhhhhhhhh

The director must've only seen pt8. Oh, I hated the climax
kaizu Saturday 8/28/2010 at 02:22 PM | 65747
It was the best of all the Freddy and Jason movie franchise. Jason X was also a good movie.
SoulZ Tuesday 8/31/2010 at 08:58 AM | 65866
It's a pretty good movie if you take it for what it is: 1.5 hours of Freddy AND Jason.

Way too often people try to read too much into movies and make them more than they really are. Most movies, horror in particular, are filmed purely for entertainment.Pop some popcorn, light up a doobie (optional), laugh at the bad special effects, applaud the good ones, shrug off the lack of continuity, and most of all, enjoy the movie.

That's how I try to go at every movie. If it's entertaining, it's done it's job in my book.

Personally, I do like Freddy vs. Jason but like people said, it's more of a popcorn flick than a clasc.
DeadLights87 Monday 9/20/2010 at 08:13 PM | 66454
I liked it a lot, you have a lot of "serious movie snobs" who don't know how to have fun. They want 9 movies of F13th part 4. I did ot like the coat on Jason, or Ken as Jason really, and Jason was too dumb and slow. But maybe that was to compliment Freddy. I love the Freddy look though. People who take this movie to be serious are idiots, it was made to make fun of the characters and have some fun. I still want to see Kane VS Robert in FVJ 2.
sirbrad Saturday 9/25/2010 at 04:32 AM | 66535
I deff thought it wasn't that bad. I dug it. But didn't know all that shit about Kane Hodder getting screwed.

Looks like you may have to make a trip to the Castle Johnny, need to "Pick" your brain......
skutterk Sunday 9/26/2010 at 02:10 PM | 66564
i can do that
Johnny Bisco Sunday 9/26/2010 at 05:21 PM | 66573
I still want to see Kane VS Robert in FVJ 2.

Most certainly. Especially if they brought back jasons pt7 look. that would be just tits and kool aid,man.
pantera11431 Thursday 9/30/2010 at 11:44 PM | 66653
Yeah I always said in earlier posts New Blood VS Freddy.
sirbrad Friday 10/01/2010 at 03:32 AM | 66657
tits and kool aid lol
Johnny Bisco Friday 10/01/2010 at 09:09 PM | 66678
Yeah I always said in earlier posts New Blood VS Freddy. That's what we all hoped for... lol
kaizu Sunday 10/03/2010 at 07:39 PM | 66708
It was the best of all the Freddy and Jason movie franchise. Jason X was also a good movie. NOOOOOOOO!!!!

kaizu Sunday 10/03/2010 at 07:40 PM | 66709
i love that movie dude. i just dont like the fact that you cant walk into the tool aisle for gods sake without finding it.. lol.. it's everywhere but i dont have to tell you that lol..
ZaPsamurai Wednesday 10/13/2010 at 12:21 AM | 66870
nope, you certainly don't my friend.
pantera11431 Wednesday 10/13/2010 at 02:02 AM | 66874
I thought it was a pretty good movie. The only thing I didn't like about it was the Jason. His clothes were kinda strange looking, for him anyways. I'd rather have had Kane Hodder play Jason again. Other than that, I thought the movie was great!
Monster8224 Wednesday 10/13/2010 at 02:01 PM | 66877
Exactly, no Kane = No Jason. Wouldve been nice to see the two best go at it and not some second rate Jason.
allthingsundead Thursday 10/14/2010 at 10:54 PM | 66964
I thought it was the coolest movie ever when I went to see it in theaters........ Now that I have seen it 60 times (seriously my 3yr old thinks its the coolest movie ever and goes on FvsJ binges) I see alot of continuity problems and just stupid shit, but for the most part

I like it, just for the fact of what it is.

Now freddy vs Jason vs Ash

was awesome, the comic book really made up for the FvsJ movie
Stilesp1985 Thursday 4/07/2011 at 06:48 PM | 74181
I thought it was the coolest movie ever when I went to see it in theaters........ Now that I have seen it 60 times (seriously my 3yr old thinks its the coolest movie ever and goes on FvsJ binges) I see alot of continuity problems and just stupid shit, but for the most part

I like it, just for the fact of what it is.

Now freddy vs Jason vs Ash

was awesome, the comic book really made up for the FvsJ movie

Oh my god I totally agree on the comic book. I own The Nightmare Warriors and it was fantastic. I can't even count how many times I just sat down and read the damn thing, I wish they had made that into a movie. It would have been so cool.

Kiki_Freddy's_girl Sunday 4/17/2011 at 02:36 AM | 74594
Freddy vs Jason was good movie, but not that good, but i liked it nice kills and stuff.
SplatteriPoika Thursday 5/26/2011 at 10:12 AM | 76837
Jason’s “fear” of water was an incredibly stupid plot device for anyone who has ever watched a Friday the 13th film.

They went way too campy on some of the Freddy scenes. (The pot smoking worm? Come on.)

For the most part it was pretty fun. Its hard to disagree that the cornfield rave scene wasn’t one of the best mass slaughter sequences in the F13 franchise. On a personal note, I think having the two horror icons in the same film highlighted how much more badass Jason is. The movie obviously is still a debatable topic among Nightmare and F13 fans alike, but we can all agree at least it wasn’t an effn remake, reboot, or reimagining
MLeeHolmes Thursday 5/26/2011 at 08:50 PM | 76846
i want a rematch even if michael is not in it the 2 horror icons need to battle once more!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JasonZombie Thursday 5/26/2011 at 10:08 PM | 76853
I too was drawn into horror with this movie also. Before I saw it I don't think I'd seen any of the Nightmare movies or the Friday movies except maybe the first ones, but I knew of the characters and their whole schtick. I thought the movie was great because it gave me exactly what I expected: Freddy vs. Jason. There was blood, there was guts, no one was safe, and I thought it was fantastic seeing two veritable immortals trying to kill each other any way they could.

Bacally, I took this movie for what it was and I came out happy.
Ed Reilly Thursday 5/26/2011 at 10:35 PM | 76856
It was a good movie.

It was entertaining AND it brought two horror icons back into the forefront as themselves and not some cheap updated veron of themselves.
RHOADES Friday 5/27/2011 at 05:11 AM | 76873
I actually liked it when I saw it, it was entertaining and fun. It wasn't scary in anyway and I also hated the fact that they portrayed Jason as being afraid of water and then at the end he walks out of the water. That is a huge plot hole and I hated when the main girl said "Freddy vs Jason" so horrible and idiotic...but I did like some of the kills in the film. I wouldn't buy it but it is entertaining with a couple of friends and some beers.
Sephit Friday 5/27/2011 at 08:16 AM | 76875
The overall plot was stupid, but the film was enjoyable.

In my eyes there is no "bad" film, just bad acting.
The Chosen One Friday 5/27/2011 at 12:41 PM | 76884
I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS BAD @ ALL. FOR THAT TIME THE MOVIE CAME OUT IT WAS VERY COOL TO SEE THOSE TWO ICONS IN ONE FILM. I SAW IN THE THEATERS OPENING

NIGHT AND IT WAS UNREAL
TheShape1188 Friday 5/27/2011 at 01:07 PM | 76885
Are you kidding? I loved FVJ! Now no, I didn't treat it like a true horror movie... I wasn't enthralled or on the edge of my seat. However I thought the storyline was interesting and Freddy's comments were hysterical. I also loved the soundtrack.
AMadSquirrel21 Friday 5/27/2011 at 03:35 PM | 76888
I think alot of folks anticipated a comeback with characters like Allison from Dream Masters/Child and I think maybe the telekinetic girl from Jason 7, as earlier script drafts had indicated. But instead they took a different angle and just retrofitted Freddy and Jason into a generic supernatural slasher film with little ties to the original.

I think at the time I was misng the 80s nostalgia in all the previous installments of both series. But they had waited so long to actually put this project into production. So at this point they had to appease hardcore fans AND the 2003 demographic -- an audience who may never have even heard of Freddy and Jason. So I think they did a great job in doing that, and doing so made bank with 80 mill domestically.

In my opinion, not nearly terrible but not nearly a favorite of either series.
D.F. Jackson Sunday 5/29/2011 at 03:54 PM | 76937
Ditching Kane for Kirzinger was unfortunate for sure but the way they were choreographed for this one was impresve enough for me to forgo it. Seeing Jason practically football run Freddy through a shit load of windows and walls deways before hurling him apparently hundreds of feet to some factory setup was badass as all hell. Freddy got the chance to really show some fangs in this one as well as having the sexiest glove of the series. I'm half way on the new nightmare glove and the versus glove. The blades on the new one are slick as hell but overall the versus glove was just damn nice. Brilliant kills all around on both des, especially the Jason Mewes wannabe getting bisected in a quick swipe.

My question is, where the bloody hell did all of the kills from the rave scene go?!! Seriously did anyone see it in theater or drive in and see at least another dozen people get waded through and the little punk on the scooter nearly get chopped? It was even in the book "which also gave a nice explanation on the water for those above" and it somehow got axed and never put in the dvd. I sent back two copies of the film thinking my discs were fucked or I had a bad batch or something but it mply is not there any more.

I think the film was a great slasher versus film and was disappointed when they didn't follow up with any more.
ironblade87 Monday 6/06/2011 at 08:05 AM | 77166
What im wondering now is if they might do

FvJ in a few years with the re-makes. love or hate the re-makes if you will, but i actually think it would be a much more even fight.
pantera11431 Friday 7/01/2011 at 03:16 PM | 77949

I have to disagree with you on this.

The way I took the ending of the film was the Freddy was

clearly the winner.

How you ask?

Well I'll tell you.

So the last scene we see

its all misty & dramatic and Jason come walking out of the lake with Freddy's head in hand and as they pass the camera Freddy winks, right?

Well what I took from that was when Jason was knocked unconscious into the lake he was then subjected to being in the dream world and at Freddy's mercy.

That last scene was to me Jason's dream hence Freddy being able to wink.

Which to me made the movie so much better.

I LOVED that ending

Man, I love Freddy too but some fans will really go to great lengths to say Freddy won but it's just not true. He was cut up and the only thing left of him was a head at the end. He lost. There was no indication Jason was knocked out and if he were in Freddy's world why would Freddy still lose? I'm not trying to be a jerk but it's just that mple. Jason won and Freddy winked because you can't kill him like you would a normal person. And if the end you came up with happened then it mply proves that Freddy can't win, even in his own realm. I'd love to see him do anything bedes bite Jason's ankles.

And the movie was fun and I rushed to see it but it was definitely a huge disappointment. I liked some of the plot where there was one but a lot of the movie was ridiculous and poorly acted. It may have been fun and campy but it came off as unintentionally funny most of the time which is never good in horror. And there were kills but like other have said it wasn't scary in the least bit.

Oh and when you ditch Kane Hodder for anyone we ALL lose. Kirzinger walked like Frankenstein!
weaponx Sunday 7/03/2011 at 03:16 AM | 78008
Fun, fast moving and batshit crazy, it was a great joy ride.

Not a clasc by any means, but a terrific way to spend 90 minutes every now and then.

I think too many people were expect a more serious film, but I don't know how that would work.

The two characters are so different that a straight out horror film wouldn't have worked.

Bedes, a clasc monster mash needs a build up to a big fight between the two titans, and this one delivered that in spades.

Perfect to enjoy with your favorite beverage!!
Bigmac61 Sunday 7/03/2011 at 03:39 AM | 78010
Truth is, Freddy Vs Jason was my first Freddy Krueger movie, and my 3rd Jason movie... so I guess i owe it a lot. If I hadn't seen it I would probably still have not seen any of the NIGHTMARES, and would still be just a Myers and Voorhees fan...
Kidtut Thursday 7/07/2011 at 10:47 PM | 78131
...But its not my favorite Nightmare or Friday by any means... I did enjoy seeing the two fighting, but I was dissapointed that Freddy only got 1 kill. Also, I think that Freddy throwing Jason around like pinball was ridiculous, Jason should have (IMO) been kicking Freddy's butt (unless they went back to Wes Craven's original Freddy, but they didn't). A more realistic/ even matchup would be Jason vs Leatherface. Or Jason vs Myers. Hell, put every famous slasher into 1 movie. Jason vs Freddy vs Myers vs Leatherface vs Vernon vs Crowley vs Pinhead vs Jigsaw. Put all of them into Jigsaw's "game" and see who survives.... Sorry, that sounds stupid, but I would go see it (as long as Myers, Freddy, and Leatherface were the originals)... Lol
Kidtut Thursday 7/07/2011 at 10:58 PM | 78133
love this movie, the fight

scene in the dream world is awesome! big freddy fan, and this movie encouraged me to watch more F13 as well and now im a big F13 fan lol its really fun, and not too bad a all, im glad freddys humour was there as well as decent amount of creepiness from him.
weebizkit Tuesday 7/12/2011 at 10:41 PM | 78403
To the OP -

The only people I know of that insult "Freddy vs. Jason" are mostly a small group of maybe 10% of horror fans on the Internet who just nit-pick it a lot. I think it's important to remember that these fans don't speak for everyone. We live in a very big world. Almost everyone I have ever spoken to in real life, from right here in my own city of Austin, Texas to Las Vegas, Nevada (my home away from home), all the way to cruise ships......LOVE Freddy vs. Jason. The movie was a huge box office hit, and the number one film for two weeks for a reason.

The haters for some reason were expecting an Oscar worthy film, or something new to the table, and given that Freddy and Jason already had several other films about them, I think it was hard to add anything new, and I suspect the majority of fans would have been unhappy if they tried to do anything new. So they stuck to what we all know and love best. And most of the Freddy and Jason movies have never been Oscar pictures. They're just fun movies. Most Freddy and Jason films have always had a few imperfections here and there, but that's all apart of the appeal to me. When I was a kid, and I'd watch their movies, I didn't care or notice the little things, and felt no need to nit-pick. I just sat back and enjoyed the entertainment, and that is the same story with FVJ for me.

In a way, Freddy vs. Jason was not only a dream film come true for fans, but it was a tribute to both legends and their movies, and I can't think of a better and more fun way to end the stories of two huge horror icons then having them be in one movie together in this dream film that fans all around the world had dreamed to see.

I never recall in 2003 having more anticipation for a movie then "Freddy vs. Jason", and with the exception of "Rocky Balboa", no other movie has yet to bring me those giddy feelings, and everytime I put the disc in to watch FVJ, it's like I am traveling back to 2003, and reliving all those feelings again.

Ideally, if you're going to make a movie, you don't worry too much about giving people what they want. You just make the movie, and if it's good, the people will enjoy it, and love you for it. But Freddy vs. Jason was a film intended to please as many people as it could. It was a movie the majority of fans dered to see, so it was made just for them, and New Line was attempting to please everyone....

From the hardcore Freddy fans, to the casual Freddy fans, to the hardcore Jason fans, to the casual Jason fans, to the hardcore horror fans, to the casual horror fans, to the hardcore movie buff, to the casual movie goer.

The film offered each group something, and of course, some people in the other group aren't going to like that.Freddy vs. Jason is one of my favorite movies, and even though it's not a Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th movie, it's a hybrid, it's still my favorite Freddy and Jason film. I've watched the other Freddy and Jason films before watching FVJ many times, and I pretty much don't see how FVJ is any different then the other movies.

FVJ introduced a new set of characters, just like how most Freddy and Jason films do, Jason pretty much almost always looks different in each film, and it had Jason doing his usual thing, and Freddy doing his usual thing. And it all ended with an epic fight scene. So again, I really don't see what the problem is or what it failed to do.

Freddy vs. Jason worked so well because both killers have the same type of victims, both are so different, and both characters are huge horror film icons that made more money then anyone and caused more nightmares then any other horror characters. A movie for them was not made because "vs" films are popular, but because this feud was, because people asked about it, and talked about it, and because both had huge status with people all over the world.

All and all, it's a fun film that I think some people should try to be more open-minded about. It's nice to get away from real life for a while, and then just t back, feel like a kid again, and watch a fun homage movie to 80's slasher films, blended in with 2003.
Zeeboe Thursday 8/04/2011 at 01:54 PM | 79945
I thought it was great in the sense it's been a while nce there has been a cross horror movie like it. Probably not nce the original Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman movies. Or the Japanese Mecha-Godzilla vs Mothra. I think there should be more cross-horror-villain movies. Just like comic book movies... why is everything an origin flick? With sequels that really aren't very impresve. You look at the comic books and see crazy huge battles between a myriad of characters. I want to see total BATSHIT CRAZY ANARCHY with horror maniacs teaming up and completely mesng up people's days.
Jonny Sicko Tuesday 8/30/2011 at 02:48 PM | 81855
it wasn't overall bad i do agree with the jason being afraid of the water was bullshit i love anything with krueger in it so that was the only reason why i went to see it and at least it was better than jason X that plot line was just bullshit at least FVJ's story line was more in depth and how freddy needed jason so everyone on elm street would remember him to get his power back pretty devious of krueger huh
slityothroatXTC Wednesday 9/07/2011 at 03:20 AM | 82271
I really actually enjoyed Freddy vs. Jason. Halloween is my all time favorite slasher franchise but regardless, I really liked this movie. I do wish Kane Hodder played Jason in this film. I think he deserved the role nce he did so well in previous films. Freddy's makeup in the movie was fantastic, and from what I heard from Never Sleep Again, FvsJ was actually written by a giant fan of both series which gives me hope. I didn't like that Jason was afraid of water because that's pretty ridiculous but I liked how it didn't really favor one slasher over the other, though I did sympathize with Jason a bit. I still can't say who the winner is because I really can't figure that out so I'll leave it at a tie.
suzys25 Wednesday 9/14/2011 at 02:50 PM | 82693
ade from Jason's horrible degn i thoroughly enjoyed this film.
Bezzerkerr Thursday 9/15/2011 at 12:40 PM | 82769
I don't hate the movie..I own it, and it was fun seeing it in the theater back in 2003. But, it does piss me off that Kane Hodder was not cast as Jason..I have met him at two different horror conventions..He would have probably done a better job playing Jason, and he is a nice guy..He deserved it.
Moon Wednesday 9/21/2011 at 06:05 AM | 83084
The thing is, Freddy vs. Jason is a comic-book film, and with a story like the one it had, of course it's going to have a B-rated feel to it. I just accept it as a fun and entertaining movie that makes me feel young again. It's a dream film come true for me, and it was everything I expected it to be. I didn't go into thinking it was going to be an Oscar film, or really, anything scary. And it gave me everything I knew it would. Honestly, the cheese factor is all apart of the appeal to me.

And most of the Freddy and Jason films are pure B-rated cheese fests. lol. So I don't find it too shocking that Freddy vs. Jason was the same. I think it's one of the better ones because it was a hybrid of a typical Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street film.

I went into just to see Freddy and Jason fight and I loved every second of it. I knew however that there needed to be an actual story behind it, and I was cool with that. I didn't expect the story to be perfect, and really, I was happy that some of the teens were unlikeable, because Freddy and Jason are the real stars in my view, and it's their story that I care about. :)

I know plenty of people didn't care for Jason having a fear of water, but again, it's something I enjoy, because it makes me want to cheer for Jason all the more and adds emotion to the film. And to me, the ideal film can bring out all kinds of emotions. This one scared me, made me laugh, and made me sad. The only part that scared me was watching Jason relive his childhood nightmare, and then the fight scene at the end because I was worried about Jason. I also think Ken Kirzinger was the best Jason ever, and I loved his costume in this film.
Zeeboe Monday 10/03/2011 at 10:56 PM | 83751
Completely failure movie.

It just does not feel like A 'Nightmare on Elm Street' or 'Friday the 13th'.

It's more like a vulgar comedy ala 'American Pie' or 'King fart'. Freddy and Jason are more like idiots and clowns, than frightening killers. And acting... Oh My God, the acting was one of the worst I've ever seen.
Jerry Blake Tuesday 1/10/2012 at 05:47 PM | 89241