Forums Horror Movie Talk
What movie got you into horror?!

Hi friends, For me it was Texas Chainsaw 2, Dawn of the Dead and return of the Living Dead. Had a trilogy night with my uncle when he was baby tting me oh so many years ago and it messed my mind UP! Was hooked ever nce, though my mom was none to happy that he exposed me to these movies when I was 6.
mycoolgirl Monday 9/20/2010 at 08:42 AM | 66433
My mom is a huge horror movie fan, and I grew up on them. I watched Child's Play at around the age of 5 or 6, and she put a doll in my bed that I woke up to. It took me a LONG time (probably until I was about 18) to really be able to even watch the Chucky movies.

For my birthday in 3rd grade, we got Jason Goes to Hell and Wes Craven's New Nightmare, and watched them, and my mom always let me watch the Friday 13th movies as well as the Nightmare on Elm Street ones.

I've been hooked on horror, and now host my own Drunk Scary Movie Nights, with my friends.
KeeterZ Monday 9/20/2010 at 09:31 AM | 66434
The first movie I ever saw at a theatre was a horror movie called Diabolica which was an Italian Exorcist rip off at the age of 3.lol After that I often watched the clasc Universal monster movies and the Godzilla films.

When I entered my early teens I discovered Halloween on the first NBC showing and changed my like forever
kaizu Monday 9/20/2010 at 02:54 PM | 66436
It was either The Thing or The Shining when i was around 10-11, my mom was out of town alot and my dad used to let me stay up late with him and we would watch movies that she did not want me seeing, she wouldn't even let my dad have The Exorcist in the house, like the actual tape itself! She was one of those 80's satanic panic moms, pmrc shit!

WRATHCHILD78 Monday 9/20/2010 at 03:58 PM | 66440
Probably Child's play. I was so afraid of Chuchy. Now I have Chucky in my room

Klempo Monday 9/20/2010 at 07:10 PM | 66443
either halloween on the nbc tv premier or when i went to the drive in for a jaws and jaws 2 double feature got me into liking them though i was still scared at that time

but friday the 13th pt 3d and jaws 3d (ya i saw them in the theatres

) really got me into horror and its been a love affair nce
Johnny Bisco Monday 9/20/2010 at 07:17 PM | 66449
My Mom had me & my brother watching Godzilla movies nce before I can remember. I know for sure that I saw Child's Play 3 & A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 5 before I was five years old. I'm pretty sure Gremlins was one of my first horror flicks too, but if I had to pick on in particular, I'd say probably Friday the 13th Part 7 which I saw when I was about eight or nine at a neighbor's house or Stephen King's It, which I saw on tv around the same time I believe. That was about when I started sticking to the horror section of the video store.
DeadLights87 Monday 9/20/2010 at 07:46 PM | 66451
I think it was Sleepaway Camp. I was horrified of the ending.
aceofspades70 Monday 9/20/2010 at 09:28 PM | 66459
For me it would have to be the old Vincent Price flicks, I remember seeing movies like....The Tingler, The Wax Museum, The Pit & The Pendulum, pretty much anything with Vincent Price.
skutterk Monday 9/20/2010 at 11:14 PM | 66461
My mom is a huge horror movie fan, and I grew up on them. I watched Child's Play at around the age of 5 or 6, and she put a doll in my bed that I woke up to. It took me a LONG time (probably until I was about 18) to really be able to even watch the Chucky movies.

For my birthday in 3rd grade, we got Jason Goes to Hell and Wes Craven's New Nightmare, and watched them, and my mom always let me watch the Friday 13th movies as well as the Nightmare on Elm Street ones.

I've been hooked on horror, and now host my own Drunk Scary Movie Nights, with my friends.

i swear we're twins, i was the same way with the whole chucky thing, my parents got me a good guy doll.. and i had put it in this toy chest i had in my roon when i was little, so i put it in there when i went to bed, closed the door on it, and the next day its fucking leg was hanging out!

i was like WTF!?!?

and yeah didnt watch a childs play till i was mad older... and when jason goes to hell, i had a b-day party and i rented that and me and my buddies watched it, i remember i had to tell the lady @ block buster if she had the movie, jason goes to h - e - double hockey sticks in, lol
dxh8r4life Monday 9/20/2010 at 11:20 PM | 66462
went to the drive in to see the original nightmare on elm street, scared the hell out of me, but i loved freddy after that
Fred55x Tuesday 9/21/2010 at 12:51 AM | 66470
My earliest memory of watching a horror movie would probably b watching child's play 2. I don't know how old i was but I remember having the distant memory of chucky killing the teacher with the ruler. But i don't think that movie got me into horror, I think what did it for me was New Nightmare. I know I had seen Freddy's Dead and it was just a little too funny to be a horror movie, so when new nightmare came out I thought it sort of reawakened the dark de to Freddy.
krueger4653 Wednesday 9/22/2010 at 11:33 AM | 66496
For me it would probably be House on Haunted Hill '99. Even though it scared the hell out of me I wound up loving it and soon got into horror flicks right after
Trejo Thursday 9/23/2010 at 05:47 PM | 66512
Aliens got me in to horror
metaller Friday 9/24/2010 at 02:38 PM | 66519
Myself being a late bloomer. when i saw freddy vs jason in 03, that's what did it for me.granted that qualified more as an action movie, but what can ya do.
pantera11431 Friday 9/24/2010 at 11:30 PM | 66528
The movie that got me into horror was the original King Kong..I first saw it on tv, when I was about 6. I loved it. Back then, I also had this book about clasc horror movies. From the lent era to the 1950's. It was a coffee table book with a lot of black and white pictures from the films and pictures of the movie posters, my parents bought it at The Salvation Army for 25 cents. I loved that book, I didn't really read it, but I remember looking through all the pictures many, many times. I wish I still had it.

But unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to watch many other horror movies until I was 12.Even though other kids I knew had seen Nightmare on Elm Street. My mom thought they would give me nightmares..I was allowed to watch The Lost Boys and Phantasm when I was 9, and that Godzilla movie from the 80's when I was about 8..But I do remember going to the video stores when I was a kid, and looking at the boxes in the horror section. And I remember the poster from Sleep

Away Camp that was hanging on the wall at one store, and the display for Return of The Living Dead. It was so unfair I couldn't watch those movies back then, because they looked so interesting.
Moon Saturday 9/25/2010 at 05:46 AM | 66538
for me i would have to say the exorcist was my first horror film i ever saw.. linda blair freaked me the fuck out for the longest time. but after a while i couldnt fall asleep without watching a horror movie.
ZaPsamurai Sunday 10/10/2010 at 11:01 PM | 66840
I have a good one for yall... Try the wizard of oz.... Before you all start saying What? That aint a horror movie...... Well the wicked witch was definately one of the first horror villians nce the movie came out in 1939 and she is what started my love for horror villains. Other than that if we are talking horror movies I would say Nosferatu for sure. 1922 clasc lent and horribly scaryy when you are four.
allthingsundead Wednesday 10/13/2010 at 04:31 PM | 66886
Believe it or not it was not a movie but a haunted attraction I went to as a kid. I guess the first horror film that had an impact on me was Night of the Living Dead. Scared the hell out of me when I was a kid
Anonymous Thursday 10/14/2010 at 03:35 AM | 66901
Great way to start Sandman_78.... Nothing in this world tops Romero...
allthingsundead Thursday 10/14/2010 at 01:18 PM | 66912
I remember what ultimatley got me into horror was me and my dad staying up until 2 o' clock one night watching the original Halloween II on AMC.
lopli Thursday 10/14/2010 at 10:04 PM | 66948
The Giant Spider Invaon in 1975-I was 4-I begged to go to the drive-in to see it-I loved every cheesy minute of it!
mytee Monday 10/18/2010 at 07:45 AM | 67134
Child’s play is the creepiest movie I have ever seen, because it has taken in a natural way. So after that movie I still have a creepy frame of mind when I see a doll.
Emejane Thursday 4/21/2011 at 06:11 AM | 74811
For me universal monsters.

Salem's lot mini series messed me up!

after that all horror movies put a panic button on the power to the tv.
phlixfan13th Thursday 4/21/2011 at 03:32 PM | 74818
I'm not sure if this movie was the reason i got into horror movies but my earliest memory i have is watching Night of the Living Dead (the 1990 remake) when i was like 9 or so, and that really turned me on to horror. That and Fri the 13th 7. Seeing the zombified Jason when i was 9 or 10 hack his way thru people really made me not want to sleep!

The Halloween franchise also was a big influence for me growing up...
kizzle Thursday 4/21/2011 at 05:55 PM | 74823
I wish i could remember what movie was the first but my mother was a huge fang of King's(had to do with him being from Maine I'm sure) and so I watched Salem's Lot and Cujo, alot of his stuiff early along with The Burning(greatest slasher film ever

)and of course the Friday the 13TH movies, NOES, Zombie, Dawn of the Dead, Jaws, Hills Have Eyes and so many others thanks to mom and pop stores and Decor Home Video. The great time to be growing up when the vhs cover art was sometimes better then the movie itself. A big thanks to my mom for getting me into it as I have had so many great memories from it.
cropsy Saturday 4/30/2011 at 10:39 AM | 75267