Forums Horror Movie Reviews
I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE remake

Thanks to the folks at the NYC HORRORFEST I got to go see a free screening of I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE last week. I have to admit, upon seeing the first poster that depicted a large pair of gardening sheers with the "Date Night is Over" slogan, I planned to avoid this film at all costs. I love 70's horror exploitation and the original is one of my favorites. I felt this remake would mar the original.

Well....I was wrong.

The film look was great. It had a good 16mm look to it, not too grainy and old but just the right amount of hints to it that made it feel retro. Im sure it was shot in HD and treated in post.

The actors were amazing. From our heroine to the villains, everyone was spectacular. English actor Andrew Howard and Sarah Butler (Jennifer/heroine) were the stand outs.

The violence and gore was imaginative, brutal and very well done.

Over all the remake was pretty much a carbon copy save for a few things here and there. My only negatives were a few one liners delivered by Jennifer as she extolled revenge on her rapists. Other than that I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE 2010 provided an hour an a half of tense, uncomfortable and brutal cinema. Nothing ground breaking, but they did the original justice.

Look for it in a theater near you October 7th....limited theatrical run.
ny ghoul Saturday 9/25/2010 at 07:26 PM | 66549
you know how i feel about remakes in general

i may take your word on this

please dont suck

Johnny Bisco Sunday 9/26/2010 at 12:12 AM | 66552
I kinda wanna

see it..
Moon Sunday 9/26/2010 at 05:35 AM | 66556
The original was extremely disturbing and frightening at the same time. Pissed a lot of people back in the day

Still a clasc exploitation flick in it's own right

Not for the weak hearted

Yeah, from lookin at the still photos it does look better than I expected. If brotha Evan(HB's #1 exploitation horror critic) says it's good I may take shot at it
kaizu Sunday 9/26/2010 at 07:27 AM | 66557
May have to check this out.
skutterk Sunday 9/26/2010 at 01:59 PM | 66563
Thanks for the review. I cant wait to see it
Matthew Mayhem Sunday 9/26/2010 at 03:26 PM | 66570
I grabbed a copy from work and watched it before someone snatched it up. Great film and looking forward to the remake.
aceofspades70 Monday 9/27/2010 at 03:21 AM | 66578
Kaizu my man, thanks for the props brother. Coming from you its a huge compliment! And Bisco, I know how you feel about remakes. All I can say about this film is that I really don't "get" the reason for a remake. The original was a result of the cultural climate of the US in the 70's. It was socio-politically charged, and thus while it was extremely disturbing, there was an underlying reason. In watching the remake I did not see any of that social commentary that the OG had.

Where the remake does score points with me was with the acting; trust me guys these actors had to pull off some incredibly difficult scenes. They were awesome.

the violence; the film makers didn't hold back. and finally the feel.....even though its a new film which is set in modern times? when i was watching the movie, it felt "old".

anyway Im curious to see what you guys thought!
ny ghoul Monday 9/27/2010 at 05:42 AM | 66584
ill definately let you know when i see it

you and i seem to like a lot of the same stuff so if you say give it a chance i will!
Johnny Bisco Monday 9/27/2010 at 07:20 PM | 66589
I can't wait to see this as the origional still to this day makes my stomach turn through some of the scenes. I agree I don't think this needed to be remade but then again I didn't think many of them did. I agree with Kaizu though that if Evan says it is worth a watch that is enough for me.
cropsy Tuesday 9/28/2010 at 10:24 PM | 66608