Forums Off Topic
Homemade scarecrow masks, let's see em if you got em.

I want to know if we have any artisans in here that craft their own masks. Here's mine.

Any comments, thoughts, critiques?
ironblade87 Saturday 11/06/2010 at 07:21 PM | 67712
Looks pretty cool to me.

Got anymore shots?
Bridge Saturday 11/06/2010 at 11:07 PM | 67718
I do not have any more at the moment but when I get it back I shall be taking multiple angles and making sure you can get a feel for it. It's currently on loan to a buddy of mine for Halloween at the moment but I'll post more when I get it back. I'm also making several more and will actually be working towards making custom masks and potentially an entire ensemble to complete this one. This is the concept that it stemmed from and with the proper amount of time I shall have something to show. The mask itself is complete and the hood is sewn into it, also complete. The hood is subject to change in the future as you can see. I apologize for phone pic. Lacking a camera for now as my digital died.
ironblade87 Sunday 11/07/2010 at 01:50 AM | 67727
Looking forward to some clearer degn pics & different angles on the mask as is...then your different variations as well.I think we may have the makings for a killer mask idea for a character, either new OR preexisting
Bridge Sunday 11/07/2010 at 05:01 AM | 67728
I hear ya man, I plan on making this costume as original as I can. The character is drawn without reference and the entire thing will be handmade. As soon as the mask is back in my posseson I will be filling in all the details and can begin work again. Pics will be posted the moment it's back. I think I will make this topic a WIP page for the entire costume so over the next while it will continue to grow.

Cheers bud
ironblade87 Sunday 11/07/2010 at 02:22 PM | 67734
without a vehicle and busy things going on, I'm posting the last pic I have of the mask at this point to show how it looks worn. ?t=1291426308

Need to get my life in order and make more of these buggers
ironblade87 Saturday 12/04/2010 at 12:32 AM | 68172
without a vehicle and busy things going on, I'm posting the last pic I have of the mask at this point to show how it looks worn. ?t=1291426308

Need to get my life in order and make more of these buggers I absolutely LOVE it!!
Michael Aspinwall Sunday 12/05/2010 at 01:43 AM | 68185
Thank you very much man, that means a lot. I love making stuff like it and it's always good to see when people like you and bridge take some time out to comment.

Hopefully there will be many more and all unique as I'm still getting the hang of this. This was my first mask by the way, never even done the measurements for one before. This one was first shot from beginning to end.
ironblade87 Sunday 12/05/2010 at 02:41 AM | 68186
You're very welcome!!

I would buy something like that!
Michael Aspinwall Sunday 12/05/2010 at 04:24 PM | 68188
Well if you ever want one just contact me with some measurements which I'll describe very ealy to you "circumference for the skull is so much more difficult than a sphere" because the way I ended up having to do is very carefully measure to specific spots of the anatomy to make it line up right. I would make these very cheaply probably no more than 30 - 40 bucks per mask. depending on how much you customization you'd like. I'm definitely trying to work on a much sleeker veron that wouldn't involve a hood but still have a frightening as all hell profile. That one would be up next when I get some more materials. Once I really get the hang of working with the burlap as you can see above, a full body would be in progress.
ironblade87 Sunday 12/05/2010 at 06:17 PM | 68198
...I'm definitely trying to work on a much sleeker veron that wouldn't involve a hood but still have a frightening as all hell profile. That one would be up next when I get some more materials. Once I really get the hang of working with the burlap as you can see above, a full body would be in progress. I would keep the hood, I think that's what makes it really great!
Michael Aspinwall Monday 12/06/2010 at 06:47 AM | 68209
Indeed, I think there's room for all kinds of fun little things to try out for a different appeal though, take this for example.

The hood has a certain aesthetic that works with a heavy coat but a mple mask tucked into a collar can create a totally different perhaps even more nister vibe. Now you're not dealing with a costumed killer which could be as unintentionally amung or off putting as a spandex superhero, but a psychopath that mply doesn't want you to see his face. If someone came after you, decked out in a full scarecrow costume even carrying a ckle, they'd probably have to cut someone down in front of you to realize they mean buness. If you saw someone in a suit, dressed to the nines, carrying a knife with a ramshackle mask coming after you in a hallway, you'd definitely be in oh shit fight or flight mode from the git go where if it were a scarecrow you'd probably be like hey man great costume. Not to spam you with a wall of text but I love getting into the mindset of these kinds of characters and trying to see how the outde would view them as well. For me, every day really would be Halloween to keep everyone on their toes.
ironblade87 Monday 12/06/2010 at 05:23 PM | 68213