Forums Horror Collectibles
frightstuff hock painted

ok so just a couple weeks ago i ordered a ffrightstuff mask. uh it just got here yesterday and i spent a good portion of the day painting it and thought i would post a lot of pics and explain the process maybe it will help someone in the future..

so this is what it looks like directly out of the package.

its a pretty nice mask but...

still a lot of work to do.. so here is step one.. remove the strap snaps, this is the easy part, and mask the snaps because if you get a lot of paint on them it will be hard to put the straps back on.

then use krypton fuon flat white for a base coat. it says specifically on the can for plastic. make sure you get this one and this one only you are going to want about 8 coats of this, it sounds like a lot but believe me, just do it.

allow the paint to dry for at least five minutes between coats to avoid the paint from running as this will look like shit.. then allow the mask to dry for about an hour.

then use a very coarse sandpaper, i used 60 grit, and scratch the fuck out of random spots such as around the eyes and across the nose and edges of the mask. this will add wear and tear to the mask. obviously. then comes the paint...

next you want a damp cloth, not a wet one ring it out good, and some black and brown paints. not spray paint just normal acrylic paint. dab a corner of the cloth into the paint and rub around the mask. the whole mask should be covered then take a non paint covered corner of the rag and smear it around. repeat with the brown paint until it is to your liking.

to make big and thicker scratches i would reccommend a razor blade. then really get the paint in there to add depth to the scratches.

then go ahead and put on some krylon flat clear coat to protec your work and allow to dry for another hour.

then go ahead and add the chevrons, these come in the box as well, or paint them on if you choose. then add one more coat of clear coat.

allow to dry for one more hour then you are finally done and lookin sexy in your new frightstuff hock.
ZaPsamurai Sunday 11/14/2010 at 09:07 AM | 67813
Looks very nice and thanks for the tips as I would like to try one of these some day.
cropsy Sunday 11/14/2010 at 10:06 PM | 67839
no problem man. thanks for the kind words. means a lot.
ZaPsamurai Monday 11/15/2010 at 04:17 AM | 67846
You make it look so easy.I'm almost tempted to order a ffrightstuff

mask and try to recreate one myself, but I'm afraid it would look like a piece of crap after I finish it. Was this your first attempt with a Jason mask???
Anonymous Monday 11/15/2010 at 10:04 PM | 67872
good job bro, looks good for a beat up remake hock and an original take!

my advice to anyone trying to paint one is this

dont rush the weathering, even if you do 6 to 8 thin coats of fuon paints id wait at least 3 days before scuffing and rubbing in acryllics, even after one day the paint isnt completely dry (trust me i screwed one up going too fast and its so easy to leave an inadvertant thumb print)

also clear coating between layers of weathering is a must!

look up some of my posts on some of the hocks i painted for step by step pics

sorry bro not trying to hijack your thread, just trying to help you and anyone else who wants to get into this adicting paint hobby!
Johnny Bisco Tuesday 11/16/2010 at 12:29 AM | 67874
You make it look so easy.I'm almost tempted to order a ffrightstuff

mask and try to recreate one myself, but I'm afraid it would look like a piece of crap after I finish it. Was this your first attempt with a Jason mask???

yes this was my first attempt. it is not as hard as you would think. if you need more help with this i am on everyday so leave me a comment or a message and i will reply within 24 hours. and welcome to horrorbid
ZaPsamurai Tuesday 11/16/2010 at 04:45 AM | 67879
good job bro, looks good for a beat up remake hock and an original take!

my advice to anyone trying to paint one is this

dont rush the weathering, even if you do 6 to 8 thin coats of fuon paints id wait at least 3 days before scuffing and rubbing in acryllics, even after one day the paint isnt completely dry (trust me i screwed one up going too fast and its so easy to leave an inadvertant thumb print)

also clear coating between layers of weathering is a must!

look up some of my posts on some of the hocks i painted for step by step pics

sorry bro not trying to hijack your thread, just trying to help you and anyone else who wants to get into this adicting paint hobby

agreed anyone who does decide to scuff and weather in the same day should either blow dry the mask on a cool temp and to avoid thumbprints, just buy some disposable rubber gloves. and thanks for the kind words bisco. means a lot comin from you mate.
ZaPsamurai Tuesday 11/16/2010 at 04:48 AM | 67880