Forums Horror Movie Talk
FULCI vs ARGENTO

Italy is home to so many brilliant horror directors, from gore mongers such as Deodato to gialli maestros such as Sergio Martino to sleaze peddlers such as Joe D'Amato. The undisputed kings of Italian horror however are Lucio Fulci and Dario Argento.

Fulci with his exploitative directing style, innovative gore and phantasmagoria is responble for clascs such as THE BEYOND, CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, THE NY RIPPER and the legendary ZOMBIE 2.

Argento with his clasc film study upbringing, flourished behind the camera with an artistic eye never seen before in horror (and noone as good nce!) giving us clascs such as SUSPIRIA, DEEP RED, TENEBRE, THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE and more.

My question is who do you prefer and why? and which films to you regard as the best. For me its difficult.....I LOVE the grit and filth of THE NY RIPPER and the BEYOND is a masterpiece of horror. HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY is yet another great Fulci film. I would give a slight edge however to Argento, because he was so creative with the camera, his sets were incredible, and some of his stories were woven so intricately. BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE and SUSPIRIA are amazing and because of those films, I give the edge to Argento.
ny ghoul Saturday 1/22/2011 at 03:21 PM | 70472
the big thing with me on Argento movies is the muc, its so much better and really helps with his imagery

fulci is definately the king of italian gore and creative story lines

i have to give arento the edge purely on the polished finished product and awesome mucal scores (and he got jennifer connelly and donald pleasence in the same movie with a razor wielding chimp need i say more?)
Johnny Bisco Sunday 1/23/2011 at 03:32 AM | 70501
the big thing with me on Argento movies is the muc, its so much better and really helps with his imagery

fulci is definately the king of italian gore and creative story lines

i have to give arento the edge purely on the polished finished product and awesome mucal scores (and he got jennifer connelly and donald pleasence in the same movie with a razor wielding chimp need i say more?)

Johnny my man, I knew i could count on you to contribute to this thread! Argento and Fulci and only one return post!!! wtf!

anyway, dude you nailed a great point with Argento's muc....Ennio Morricone and Goblin! EPIC!!!!!!
ny ghoul Sunday 1/23/2011 at 07:56 PM | 70537
I agree, Argento's muc really set the mood for his films. The man is a true Master of Horror!!
Anonymous Sunday 1/23/2011 at 08:13 PM | 70540