Forums Horror Collectibles
A SERBIAN FILM

OMG!! All I can say is this is one F'ed up movie!!! Definitely not for everyone. I saw things in that movie that I don't even want to remember nor do I care to talk about them. Very ck movie!
Anonymous Sunday 1/30/2011 at 05:46 AM | 71060
They had a lot of money, the production is slick but the story and fx are shit, laughable. The writer/director sought to shatter every Western taboo he could think of to the point where its ridiculous. Its not art, its pervert trash. If you want REAL disturbing films that move the mind and soul then stick to films like MARTYRS, IRREVERBLE, I STAND ALONE, MAN BITES DOG etc.

ASF throws everything along with the kitchen nk at you......

::::::SPOILER::::::::::::::::::

-bew born baby being raped to death -father essentially fucking his young son to death while his brother rapes his wife

yeah, you get the idea. But as insane as it sounds, it just comes across as a weak shock attempt.
ny ghoul Sunday 1/30/2011 at 05:52 PM | 71070
I have not viewed this film and really have no dere to do so. NYG, I agree with what you are saying. It sounds as if they figured "We have no talent let alone a decent story to tell so let's shock people and everyone will talk about it!" That's fine, but I figure if you want to keep directing and getting money to make your films, you should think about putting out a film that other studios will love and wish they picked up then will go after your talent.
Rabbit in Red Radio Sunday 1/30/2011 at 07:05 PM | 71072
I had to say "what the hell" and put this garbage in. I am beyond ck! This is a prime example of if you just take what could be a pretty decent story (A man trying to take a job for the sake of his family) but then go beyond twisted and then go well over the top with shock for the sake of shock. This doesn't tell a story it just tries to gross you out and make you feel ck to the bottom of your stomach. So maybe they did their job if that was the focus of the film
Rabbit in Red Radio Sunday 1/30/2011 at 08:18 PM | 71073
The last thing I should state is I can understand what the director's goal was. He stated in an interview that he did, this film was based off of things he has seen and heard about in his country. I don't want to just trash the film based on face value. Yes, its tough to get through and some scenes just seem it's made for shock value. There is something deeper here and there is a message some where in this film. I just never want to trash something without trying to see every part of it.

If you are going to view this film, understand it is beyond stomach turning. You can get lost in the gore and shocking scenes and not even focus on the story.

Vince
Rabbit in Red Radio Sunday 1/30/2011 at 08:34 PM | 71074
I've never heard of this film. And this might sound strange but now I'm curious.Not that I'm looking forward to seeing actions such as that, but I'm curious as to what the director is trying to convey.
Ryn Sunday 1/30/2011 at 09:32 PM | 71076
I dont wanna trash the guy because I dont know him, but the comparison's to how NATO treated Serbia during the Kosovo conflict are a stretch. I think there might be some symbolism in the underlying theme, but overall the film reeks of shock and smut. The problem is also that if the director WAS intending some correlation to the Serbian conflict? he might have chose a less "cartoonish" approach. Again, brutality can be effective.....see GASPAR NOE's films.

I also think that the way many US films tend to "dumb down" to the audience, ASF suffers the same thing but far worse. I dont need to see a new born get raped or watch a father tear into his son's ass to feel hurt, shock, empathy, SYMBOLISM! whatever. Maybe a better writer/director team would have helped.

If you watch this film, you'll be grossed out and shocked...and then you'll forget about it. Its just not good, whereas I still ponder MARTYRS, I still feel the pain of Vincent Cassel in IRREVERBLE.

just my two cents
ny ghoul Sunday 1/30/2011 at 10:20 PM | 71081
i need to know where to view this film. Seriously in the U.S.A, i must see this film, but after all the twisted shit i read. do i really want to?anyways if anyone knows where to find this film so i can watch it, let me know.
tyler123 Wednesday 2/02/2011 at 09:47 PM | 71284
I actually enjoyed this film!

jeremi_02 Thursday 2/03/2011 at 03:08 AM | 71306
I dont wanna trash the guy because I dont know him, but the comparison's to how NATO treated Serbia during the Kosovo conflict are a stretch. I think there might be some symbolism in the underlying theme, but overall the film reeks of shock and smut. The problem is also that if the director WAS intending some correlation to the Serbian conflict? he might have chose a less "cartoonish" approach. Again, brutality can be effective.....see GASPAR NOE's films.

I also think that the way many US films tend to "dumb down" to the audience, ASF suffers the same thing but far worse. I dont need to see a new born get raped or watch a father tear into his son's ass to feel hurt, shock, empathy, SYMBOLISM! whatever. Maybe a better writer/director team would have helped.

If you watch this film, you'll be grossed out and shocked...and then you'll forget about it. Its just not good, whereas I still ponder MARTYRS, I still feel the pain of Vincent Cassel in IRREVERBLE.

just my two cents

There is no SYMBOLISM and NO correlation to the Serbian conflict in this movie, trust me. :) I come from EX Yugoslavia and have a lot of Srbian, Croatian, Bosnian friends. But one thing is true, after the war there are more poor people there and a lot of corruption. But like I said this movie is not how Srbia looks like, it is just a fucked up movie and director had some weird, ck imagination. :)
Klempo Sunday 2/20/2011 at 03:48 PM | 72171
Unfortunately, we're going to have to get used to this kind of film. Human Centipede set the standard of awful film that everyone talks about. It's one of those that every says that they've seen even if they haven't.....just so they'll sound cool. I just watched INDE which is along the same lines. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people who t down to watch a film because it's art and I pay respect to everyone from the director to the gaffer, Hell no, I want to be entertained! But at least give me a believable story and characters I give a crap about. I've seen waaaay too much "real life" horror to be impressed with a lot of fake blood and rubber guts!
vbrockladyv Sunday 2/20/2011 at 08:09 PM | 72191
Unfortunately, we're going to have to get used to this kind of film. Human Centipede set the standard of awful film that everyone talks about. It's one of those that every says that they've seen even if they haven't.....just so they'll sound cool. I just watched INDE which is along the same lines. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people who t down to watch a film because it's art and I pay respect to everyone from the director to the gaffer, Hell no, I want to be entertained! But at least give me a believable story and characters I give a crap about. I've seen waaaay too much "real life" horror to be impressed with a lot of fake blood and rubber guts

How did you find INDE to be along the lines of A SERBIAN FILM or HUMAN CENTIPEDE? Its a slasher film and one of the most respected genre films of the last decade. You can think it sucks, but I wouldnt say its in the style of those two said films.
ny ghoul Tuesday 2/22/2011 at 07:03 AM | 72285
Most respected in the last decade doesn't mean much. Bedes, I never said it sucked. I was referring to the over the gore gore. When was the last time you heard about a movie in general circles because it had a good story? 95% of horror films are talked about because of the ridiculous blood bath aspect. When I first heard about Inde, all I heard was, "Dude, C-section with scissors!" , not "What a great story! The characters were well developed and the acting was superb!"....Like the others, it made the rounds via the splatter factor.
vbrockladyv Tuesday 2/22/2011 at 07:39 AM | 72286
Huh, I heard the oppote. The praise i saw INDE get was for the directing, the actors, the story and finally yes, the gore which was very well done. Its a critically acclaimed film in the horror circuit, up there with other recent gems like MARTYRS and IRREVERBLE.
ny ghoul Saturday 2/26/2011 at 08:41 AM | 72493
Dude, relax. What are you dating the writers ster or something? Who gives a crap about Inde? We were talking about A Serbian Film and you killed the conversation.
vbrockladyv Saturday 2/26/2011 at 02:12 PM | 72504
Dude, relax. What are you dating the writers ster or something? Who gives a crap about Inde? We were talking about A Serbian Film and you killed the conversation.

Im fine my man, Im not dating the writer's ster and YOU brought up INDE. I thought the thread was going pretty good actually.
ny ghoul Monday 2/28/2011 at 03:10 AM | 72648
This movie was a waste of my time.

What utter crap.

I agree with BrockLady we are just going to have to get use to this kind of crap.
immortaldeath24 Friday 3/11/2011 at 04:39 PM | 73300
OMG!! All I can say is this is one F'ed up movie!!! Definitely not for everyone. I saw things in that movie that I don't even want to remember nor do I care to talk about them. Very ck movie

:)

How fun then that you decided to dedicate a thread to it then.

I parallel Serbian Film with Salo regarding a political and social commentary.

They're both correct. The real world is much nastier than any fictional film.

The true atrocities exist through reality.
Creepie Suzie Sunday 3/13/2011 at 09:20 AM | 73344
I felt like I was put on an FBI list just by viewing this film... I genuinely feel dirty...

atheistatic Wednesday 3/16/2011 at 04:40 AM | 73444