Forums Off Topic
Henry Cavill's "Superman" Casting, Christian Bale Commnet

Now that Henry Cavill ("The Tudors") has been cast as the man of steel in the upcoming "Superman" reboot, directed by Zack Snyder and produced by Christopher Nolan, we're now getting a few more details about the decion.

It turns out that the 27-year-old British actor beat out five contenders for the role, including Matthew Goode (Watchmen), Matthew Bomer (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning), Armie Hammer (The Social Network), Joe Manganiello ("True Blood") and Colin O'Donaghue (The Rite).

Goode was on the short list to play the lead role in "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter," but had to take himself out of the running in order to leave his schedule open for "Superman." Bomer played Superman in several Toyota commercials and was Brett Ratner's first choice to play the character in the "Superman" remake, which Bryan nger eventually took over. Hammer, meanwhile, was set to play Batman in the "Justice League of America" movie, which eventually got scrapped.

And Cavill has his own "Superman" past. He was on McG's shortlist for "Superman Returns" before the director was replaced by nger. Nolan first noticed Cavill when the actor auditioned for the role of Bruce Wayne in "Batman Begins" and has condered Cavill a contender for the Superman role ever nce the reboot was announced.

There have also been talks of a "Justice League" movie, posbly directed by Nolan. Christian Bale has already agreed to return for any film that Nolan wants him for, but what does that actor think of Cavill as Superman? When E! Online asked Bale that exact question during the SAG awards, Bale looked at the reporter with a blank look, before stating: "Well done for whoever you mentioned."

Shakelford, J. Rusty Tuesday 2/01/2011 at 04:38 AM | 71161
I prefer Cavill out of the group of posble choices, but what it really all boils down to is this....its not really who plays Superman, but the STORY. I dont care who plays the man of steel as long as the movie is better than the last one!
ny ghoul Tuesday 2/01/2011 at 05:08 AM | 71164
I am glad they cast someone for this new Superman film. And of course it is someone they had in mind for quite some time. Casting is just one of many different things that film makers are always thinking about and discusng. And that is Christian Bale for you. But then again Why should he care who is cast in that role and why would they ask him about it? The only real way that this casting would effect him is if he has to act with this person in a Justice League film. Al least he did not flip out on the person who asked him about this casting news. He doesn't need any more of that kind of negative exposure.
Piman334 Tuesday 2/01/2011 at 07:13 PM | 71215
I'm really excited for this. I don't know who the actor is but if he can pull of the part I'll be really happy. It's been way too long nce the last Superman film so I'm hoping this one draws in an audience. I do wish they would have brought back Brandon Routh though.
weaponx Saturday 2/05/2011 at 10:50 PM | 71433
I do wish they would have brought back Brandon Routh though. Thank you! Superman Returns was such a phenomenal movie because it wasn't an "Action Fest", one fight after another every 3.5 seconds. It was very deep and I loved what Routh brought to the role. I'm a HUGE Chris Reeve fan first and foremost, and really did not want to see someone else as Superman, but Routh IMO did a fantastic job and truly honered the role. I personally like movies that aren't a cavilcade of action and watching super humans destroy one city after another fighting each other. I prefer a story and IMO nger really provided that. A lot of people called Superman Returns boring and said "Superman is out dated and not Bad Ass enough, but I disagree. When you look at the scenes in the movie he was willing to die to save everyone and there is nothing more bad ass than that. Superman is a "Good" guy, he's not a vigilante. Although there wasn't as much action as Iron Man or Hulk or Batman, the action that was there was just enough to fill in the story for me. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Batman and thought many other Superhero movies were entertaining. I just think Superman Returns get's no credit, for the wrong reasons. And that ladies and gentlemen, is my two centsNick
myers n San Diego Thursday 2/10/2011 at 05:37 PM | 71705
I personally wish they had cast Tom Whelling(however it is spelled). I would have been happy with bringing back Routh even as I thought he did a great job but Tom has become Clark to me after all the years of Smallville.
cropsy Friday 2/11/2011 at 12:08 PM | 71752