Forums Horror Movie Talk
The Part 5 Curse...

The part 5 Curse… I’m really starting to believe that there really is a part 5 curse, don’t believe me? Let’s see here… Let’s start with my favorite franchise of all time Friday the 13th. This was an easy one, everyone knows about Friday the 13th part 5, no Jason. It wasn’t the worst but comes really close and it came right after perhaps the best sequel and started the downfall of the series money wise, my personal favorite is part 6.

Part 5 was so bad and made so many fans angry that they had to bring back Jason (thank god!!)

Next is A nightmare on elm street part 5, which came right after the best sequel financial wise, and my personal favorite sequel along with part 3. Part 5 can almost be responble for the death of Freddy, because they had to kill him in the next sequel due to it being a semi box office disappointment. They didn’t even continue the Freddy’s child storyline, the first time ANOES didn’t follow the previous movies storyline, well now that I think about it part 3 didn’t really follow part 2, oh well.

Halloween is an interesting one. After part 3 I think they did a pretty good job with bringing Michael back. A pretty strong sequel, so they rushed out a part 5 and guess what? It didn’t do too well. So next they had to do something completely different which also didn’t do too well, starting to see a pattern? Let’s see, hellraiser part 5 started that whole psychological storyline where they barely had pinhead in the movie. I’m not saying part 4 was that strong of a sequel, but I would choose part

4 over 5. What good came after part 5?

Childs play had a strong comeback with Bride of chucky, but seed of chucky really didn’t know what to do with itself, parody, comedy, drama, horror? They just tried to do too much at once and it didn’t work to well. Now they have to remake the original, which I’m personally excited for honestly.

Saw 5 is another interesting one, a horrible sequel. Part 5 was so bad that no one went to go see part 6. That and paranormal activity kicking its ass at the box office. I think a big reason why part 6 didn’t too well was because part 5 was so bad, and part 6 was a damn good sequel!

Now they had to abandon part 8 and make part 7 the last one, which I’m sure half of you are probably happy about.

Out of all the part 5s there was one that did stand out as being different, and that’s the howling 5. I think that was the only good sequel, at least the best one.

Now don’t get me wrong I’m not saying that all of these movies are horrible, it just seems like the part 5 curse might be real... lol. What do you guys think, am I off or what?
MiLeSx13x Tuesday 2/01/2011 at 07:32 PM | 71217
I think you are right on the money. Film franchises probably should not go longer than a trilogy. But then again there have been like what over 20 James Bond films? So i guess if people want to see more films from a franchise then more will be made. Sadly it comes down to money that can be made often at the expense of quality.

Something I have always found rather stupid. Because even a bad movie costs money to make. So why make a bad film that is not going to turn a profit or at least break even?
Piman334 Monday 2/07/2011 at 03:51 AM | 71485
more or less right on the money though i highly disagree about friday pt5

it was a very good movie, way better than 8, JGTH and JX

it was the last friday movie that had stalking in it

the sets were great

the kills were cool even if they were hacked by the mpaa

so what if its not actually jason killing? its still a guy on a hock killing people, it has tons of black humor and a cool whodunnit storyline

the first friday didnt have jason in it either and its a great movie!
Johnny Bisco Wednesday 2/09/2011 at 06:43 PM | 71651
Horror movies have a Part 5 curse. Comedies have a sequel in general curse, and superhero movies have a part 3 curse. That's what

I think
lopli Thursday 2/10/2011 at 05:03 PM | 71699
more or less right on the money though i highly disagree about friday pt5

it was a very good movie, way better than 8, JGTH and JX

it was the last friday movie that had stalking in it

the sets were great

the kills were cool even if they were hacked by the mpaa

so what if its not actually jason killing? its still a guy on a hock killing people, it has tons of black humor and a cool whodunnit storyline

the first friday didnt have jason in it either and its a great movie

Dont get me wrong, i personally like Friday part 5...BUT it is one of the weaker sequels. As a huge jason fan, and im sure other jason fans would agree, you do feel a bit cheated in the end. Now when i watch it theres a small part in the back of my head that just doesnt let me enjoy it as much knowing its not really jason. It does have a friday feel to it though with some pretty brutal kills. The first friday did have jason in it at the end, and it is what set up jason as a character.
MiLeSx13x Thursday 2/10/2011 at 10:26 PM | 71722