Forums Horror Collectibles
Nightmares in red white and blue

So i occaonally shift to watching documentaries when I've seen all of the recent episodes of whats on TV and this morning i struck gold. I don't know who all here has already seen this, but "Nightmares in Red White and Blue" is a documentary detailing the evolution of the American horror film from the 30's to the present. It features commentary by prolific horror directors including Carpenter and Romero, and scholars on the subject like John kenneth Muir, and Fangoria editor Tony Timpone.

The film does get a bit political at the tail end, but otherwise it was excellent. One of the better documentaries I've seen in a long while, and not just on the subject of horror, but in general. In any case its currently free to watch on Hulu. So if you have some spare time, and haven't seen it, i would absolutely recommend checking it out.
Risa Sunday 2/27/2011 at 03:09 PM | 72588
Thanks so much for the heads up! I'm gonna definitely check that out!
vbrockladyv Sunday 2/27/2011 at 03:22 PM | 72589
Thanks for the heads up, it just went on my Netflix instant que
chubacabra Sunday 2/27/2011 at 03:30 PM | 72592
Think I'm gonna check it out as well on Netflix. Thanks Bro!!
Anonymous Sunday 2/27/2011 at 05:05 PM | 72603
yep, no problem. just figured if there was ever a target audience for something like that it would be you guys. let me know what you guys think about it
Risa Sunday 2/27/2011 at 06:55 PM | 72611
I just got done watching this fine documentary film on Hulu. Thank you very much for pointing it out hear on the hororbid forum! I love ung Hulu to catch T.V. shows when I have time but i likely would have missed this film because I usually just go straight to my queue to get the latest available video. I rarely look for different things. That will be changing. Anyway thanks for pointing this film out. I really enjoyed it a lot. It has many great clips from many many great films. The comments made by the people that were interviewed in the film were all very inghtful and fascinating. I found the film not just entertaining but informative and inspiring.

For much of the film the idea that horror films are a reflection of the times that they are made in is a great notion. This is something that I knew but i like being reminded of this important fact. As someone who likes to write horror stories I have to keep that in mind.

Other writers of horror and my self need to always be thinking about the fears of the current times when we go to create something degned to scare and horrify.

That is not to say a that there are not many things that are universally scary and or unsettling that could be used in a horror story or film. Because there are things like that for sure. And stories like that are also important. It is just that being able to make a statement on the current fears of society is a very powerful and meaningful thing. And it is something that I have always appreciated in horror films that have that. OK that was a bit of a rant there

sorry about that but thanks again for pointing out this film
Piman334 Sunday 2/27/2011 at 09:33 PM | 72623
I saw this about a month ago on Netflix and it was amazing. n.n I highly recommend this to everyone on here.
Kiki_Freddy's_girl Sunday 2/27/2011 at 11:20 PM | 72630
Love this documentary saw it a while afo on netflix. Tells u frm the 1st horror film to present definatly a must to all horror fans.
Mr.Skemer Monday 2/28/2011 at 02:20 AM | 72637

Nifty link mann thanks a bunch!
themorguethemerrier Tuesday 3/01/2011 at 03:27 AM | 72719