Forums Horror Collectibles
How Much CGI is Too Much in Horror?Yes or No?

In horror, most of us grew up with wizards of makeup and effects from the first decapitation in Friday the 13th,Zombie's ripping individuals apart in George A.Romero's epics,Monsters that looked beyond real in films like Alien, and burnt faced maniacs all the way to current sensations.My big question is,is it all right to usher in all the digital effects to give us the carnage?My opinion is mixed, but mostly opposed.I think in extinuating circumstances it's all right but it robs us from some visually stunning things.If all the blood and guts as well as the weapons and effects were artificial we'd feel empty.When we go to see movies we know/tell most things are fake.I watched some of Alexandre Aja's(High Tenon,Hills Have Eyes 2006) work this week and I just love how he keeps the effects/makeup a staple of horror.Let me know what you guys think,I'm sure it will be a very interesting topic.Now there are some good uses for it I'm not saying there isn't but I prefer it old-school.
themorguethemerrier Monday 2/28/2011 at 02:27 AM | 72638
I don't like CGI in horror too much at all. That is one of the reasons I love the Hatchet movies so much. I ove the old school look to the blood FX. Looking back now, NOES2010 had a lot of CGI. I don't think it ruined the movie, but it would have been cool to see the Bed Scene with Nancy done without CGI.
Dark Passenger Monday 2/28/2011 at 03:54 PM | 72669
I couldn't agree with you more Dark Passenger.I was watching Gremilns the other day with commentary with Joe Dante and he's like "If this was shot today all these guys would be CGI" and I was like thats my childhood damnit(laughs)Plus its useful for actors to actually be able to react to something like a screen.Just think of the T-Rex from Jurasc Park-AMAZING....Yeah I'm a HUGE Hatchet guy myself.What'd you think of the sequel man?
themorguethemerrier Monday 2/28/2011 at 05:15 PM | 72676
I really liked Hatchet 2 a lot man. I thought it was awesome. Loved the kills. Still don't understand why it was pulled from theaters though.
Dark Passenger Tuesday 3/01/2011 at 12:03 AM | 72698
A friend of mine said it was pulled because it was given an NC-17 rating.Which,to me,thats bogus there wasn't really any screwed up stuff like rape or children being killed or assted suicide so I'm a little confused.But thats how the ratings board are they better not keep any more awesome flicks from coming out or I'll go crazy!!laughs
themorguethemerrier Tuesday 3/01/2011 at 12:40 AM | 72708
I heard Hatchet 2 was pulled because it bombed at the box office even though it was a good film but i prefer part 1. buy ya to much CGI in a horror/Slasher movie really takes away from all the special effects that's why im more into 70's and 80.s horror flicks now a days are not the same as they used to be im hoping to get into special effects when i get older but hopefully cgi doesn't take over the whole buness
Zombiezack50 Tuesday 3/01/2011 at 12:54 AM | 72710
I will always favor makeup FX over cgi. if you take a movie like the thing and replace the makeup FX with CGI you no longer have a clasc horror flick. now imo you need cgi for some films like cloverfield or pirates of the caribbean. but cgi should never replace makeup fx for good ol blood and guts movies
johns6160 Tuesday 3/01/2011 at 02:46 AM | 72717
I heard Hatchet 2 was pulled because it bombed at the box office even though it was a good film but i prefer part 1. buy ya to much CGI in a horror/Slasher movie really takes away from all the special effects that's why im more into 70's and 80.s horror flicks now a days are not the same as they used to be im hoping to get into special effects when i get older but hopefully cgi doesn't take over the whole buness

I believe the official reason given was that it did very poorly at the box office, however from what I've heard from the directors and actors in interviews is that they pulled it way too soon for that to be the reason. More likely it was because of the controversy of showing an unrated film and the extra work the theaters had to put into keeping kiddies out wasn't worth the effort to them.

As for the CG thing, I'm fine with CG if I don't notice it. Bad CG kills a movie for me, while bad practical effects can kind of be fun.
teamcerberus Tuesday 3/01/2011 at 05:43 AM | 72727
I believe they should use CGI only if they absolutly have to. I feel like its a cop out because they werent creative enough to figure out how to do it with special effects. Also a big hatchet/hatchet 2 fan
MiLeSx13x Thursday 3/03/2011 at 07:50 PM | 72902