Forums Horror Collectibles
Why are zombies awesome?

I love zombies but I asked myself this the other day, how did I start liking zombies and why do I like them so much? I don't remember when I started like zombies nor could I answer why I liked them other than they're awesome, so now I guess I'm asking you guys. What are you reasons for zombies being so awesome? Unless you don't like zombies, if so then this thread probably isn't for you.
TurdFerguson Saturday 3/05/2011 at 12:44 PM | 73000
For me personally I didn't get into Zombies until Capcom released the original Redent Evil on Playstation. I know that is a little late, but after that I watched and was interested in everything Zombie.

I was kind of hoping the Swine Flu or the Mass Animal death recently would have ended with Zombies. I think I am ready for that.
Dark Passenger Saturday 3/05/2011 at 05:24 PM | 73012
For me personally I didn't get into Zombies until Capcom released the original Redent Evil on Playstation. I know that is a little late, but after that I watched and was interested in everything Zombie.

I was kind of hoping the Swine Flu or the Mass Animal death recently would have ended with Zombies. I think I am ready for that.

I agree with you so much and I too am well prepared. Here's to patient zero showing up soon.
TurdFerguson Saturday 3/05/2011 at 05:52 PM | 73015
I'm actually kind of done with the zombie trend in pop culture lately. I love zombie movies, but we are at a point where people are randomly referencing zombies to be "cool" and it's kind of annoying. I'm just ready for zombies (and vampires for that matter) to go back to the dark realms of horror films and out of the mainstream spotlight.
teamcerberus Saturday 3/05/2011 at 07:51 PM | 73019
I'm actually kind of done with the zombie trend in pop culture lately. I love zombie movies, but we are at a point where people are randomly referencing zombies to be "cool" and it's kind of annoying. I'm just ready for zombies (and vampires for that matter) to go back to the dark realms of horror films and out of the mainstream spotlight.

How dare you group zombies and faggoty vampires into the same sentence. Zombie bite to eat, kill, and rip apart. Vampires bite to be gay an suck on man blood.
Dark Passenger Sunday 3/06/2011 at 01:41 AM | 73033

How dare you group zombies and faggoty vampires into the same sentence. Zombie bite to eat, kill, and rip apart. Vampires bite to be gay an suck on man blood.

Lol
Mr.Skemer Sunday 3/06/2011 at 03:17 AM | 73053
Zombies are definitely my favorite horror subgenre.

I'm nowhere near ready for them to go back into hiding.

I currently own 168 zombie films from all over the world, and my list continues to grow.

They scare the shit out of me.

I think it's the whole concept of them being us, people that we know and probably in most cases love.

I find the idea of just shooting loved ones in the head unrealistic--at least for me.

I'd want to cling onto the hope that they can be saved (in the phycal realm)--kinda like those people did at the beginning of Romero's Dawn of the Dead (in the basement) or even--dare I say it?--Survival of the Dead.

Or like Shaun of the Dead...I would totally want to keep my best friend chained up outde.

I don't know if that makes me a cko...but that's the kinda of stuff I think about when I watch these films.

I very literally suspend my disbelief.

Zombie films are the only films that I do this for without even meaning to...every other subgenre I'm like, "yeah right...whatever."

Sometimes I have to pause in the middle of a zombie flick to relax, pace around, look out the windows, make sure they're not clong in.

I don't even understand why I put myself through it.

Heh.

Can't help it, I guess...love the rush.

What surprises me is that I'm not desentized.

Fun Stuff:

First zombie experience: Creepshow

Scariest zombie: Timmy Baterman from Pet Sematary -- serious nightmares...

Favorite zombie: Jason Voorhees...if he doesn't count, then the Cemetery Ghoul from NOtLD

Favorite zombie movie: original Dawn of the Dead

Favorite zombie book: The Jason Strain -- huh? yeah, try it...

Favorite zombie comic: The Walking Dead

Favorite zombie figure:

Long live zombies!...

...fictional ones.

Patient zero?

Fuck that... But if it comes to that, I've got my handy Survival Guide...gned too!

:)
pzuzu Sunday 3/06/2011 at 10:25 AM | 73078
the original dawn of the dead is what got me hooked. i loved the look of the malls in the 80s and the colors of the zombies. there is no other zombie flick like dawn of the dead IMO.
johns6160 Sunday 3/06/2011 at 05:41 PM | 73094
I agree with the point that zombies are scary because they were once normal humans like us. I was never a big zombie fan myself and I do think it has been overdone as of late. However I do like a lot of movies that deal with the zombie story line and that new series The Walking Dead really got me hooked.
joebizz34 Sunday 3/06/2011 at 09:27 PM | 73103
Very appropriate topic, I hate it when people say zombies are the new vampires.I wanna be like "fuck off,"They've always been here and are going to stay.I think the fact that a lot of horror characters that are humans that change like your werewolves and vampires and what have you represent to a certain extent what people idealize as being cool and dreamy.The vampire is immortal(preserves looks and you don't die fun!!!) and very oriented around sex even in the original mythos.Underneath it all we know these lifestyles still suck....but zombies,well, they're the very lack of life and represent that overall claustrophobic consumption thats not only in fiction but society.Zombies are also very visually fun to do because just like they said with Redent Evil there is always a new thread or contamination that can create all kinds of scenarios(granted kind of the same) that range from 28 Days Later,George Romero's work,to Night of the Living Dead.Contamination,curse,strain,mutations,magic....the zombie lore is very undead itself.
themorguethemerrier Tuesday 3/08/2011 at 02:03 AM | 73170
As you guys know I love zombies so I sculpted some.

Some Walking Dead sculpts.

Comic

Show
TurdFerguson Sunday 3/13/2011 at 11:55 PM | 73359
Great work Turd and zombies are awesome because they are a metaphor for the wasted society of earth
Ones Customs Tuesday 3/15/2011 at 12:26 AM | 73388