Forums Horror Movie Talk
House Of the Devil

Nice 70's feel to me. Thought it was a good Horror Flick. Anyone like this movie
Matthew Mayhem Sunday 3/06/2011 at 02:25 AM | 73045
House Of The Devil is a kick ass flick.

Great atmosphere and suspense IMO.

I was extremely excited for this and it didn't let me down.
immortaldeath24 Sunday 3/06/2011 at 02:54 AM | 73047
I loved this as well. I loved the whole late 70s/early 80s feel the movie had. Wish more movies were like this. Good story as well...the ending was kinda creepy.
Anonymous Sunday 3/06/2011 at 02:58 AM | 73048
I have to agree with you all on this one. The ending was definitely creepy
Matthew Mayhem Sunday 3/06/2011 at 03:06 AM | 73051
I could not agree more Mayhem! BTW Happy Belated Birthday!

House of the Devil was meant to have an early 80's feel and it did and then some! It was a VERY slow burn, which some hated but I actually loved. I think its a great film but I get a ton of flack for some reason when I say so.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Sunday 3/06/2011 at 03:26 AM | 73055
It is a slow burn, I agree. And I too have gotten some slack for LOVING IT!!! The problem is the average movie viewer has such short attention spans, so if nothing happens withing the first 10-15 minutes, they usually shut it off, or say it sucks cause it was boring. That's just my opinion, though.
Anonymous Sunday 3/06/2011 at 03:44 AM | 73059
Yes and Ti West the director of the movie made the film on a shoestring budget and was still able to deliver a brilliant and original horror film!

Look its not for everyone. I todays climate it is hard to pay attention because our cell phones are going off, somethings happening here, something there. I get why people complain but if you have a nice slow night and its raining out de and there is nothing going on. Pop HOUSE OF THE DEVIL in and whamo, its a flick you will enjoy.

I rank it high on my list and I loved the vintage vibe to it!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Sunday 3/06/2011 at 03:49 AM | 73060
I also liked Cabin Fever 2 by Ti West... And I can't wait for his next movie "The Innkeepers" to come out. Its currently in post production, and due out later this year.
Anonymous Sunday 3/06/2011 at 03:56 AM | 73061
Just to elaborate Justin, It almost seems you have to have a love for old school horror to like any movie like this. Not just someone who says yeah I remeber Halloween or Back Christmas etc etc..., but you have to be the type of person who loves everything vintage about Halloween, From the decorating to the staying up till 5 am watching these vintage horror flicks. I think they just envoke a certain feeling of our past. Im sure there are some exceptions. Dont get me wrong you dont have to go by this to like it, as it was a good movie in General, but I think loving the old school helps. Kinda like Rosemary's Baby
Matthew Mayhem Sunday 3/06/2011 at 04:43 AM | 73067
No doubt Matt. It is a certian mindset. That film was also really marketed well to tes. We got the film in an original clam shell VHS blox which was just unheard of and instantly perked my curioty. I was very skeptical and had NO idea where the film was going. I knew something was up and was expecting a swerve but they threw it at me and to be honest it freaked me out. If you've ever seen the French horror flick HIGH TENON it did the same thing.

It takes a lot to really come at me these days but HOUSE OF THE DEVIL was one of those films. I loved the slow burn aspect and you're right, its almost a mentality that we had back then for the early days of building tenon and really telling a character story rater than just blind murdering. Don't get me wrong, both types of films are fun but I just hate being outcasted for loving HOUSE OF THE DEVIL, LOL!

Glad this topic got brought up, its tough to show certain opinions because we have to be very unbiased. That is why I love the forums, I get to talk about the stuff I love and REALLY voice my opion a little more, LOL!

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Sunday 3/06/2011 at 06:52 AM | 73075
Certainly sounds like one I need to find.
cropsy Sunday 3/06/2011 at 11:59 AM | 73079
Justin you are right. Oh and wow, Ho long ago was High Tenon. I remember turning on a few friends o that one. It was brutal. The begining of the movie of the Killer in the Truck getting head and dropping the victims head out the window...Creepy. I said right then, This is going to be good...lol

Crospy... Def get this one
Matthew Mayhem Sunday 3/06/2011 at 11:33 PM | 73108
HOUSE OF THE DEVIL has that look and feel that so many films try and capture but fail. Its trying to be vintage, but West nails everything from directing style, to film look, to the important clothing and hair styles. (Something that even the TCM remake I thought failed at) The cast was stellar as was the promotion. Great old school poster, great vhs clambox release! I loved the film when I saw it. I dont love it as much in repeated views, maybe because i know the end thats coming? Either way its a good film. Im looking forward to the Innkeepers and you guys should seek out a film West did a few years ago called THE ROOST. More old school mayhem!
ny ghoul Monday 3/07/2011 at 06:07 AM | 73128