Forums Horror Collectibles
One Decade, One Horror Movie: What would you choose?

I was going back today and looking at a lot of older horror movies and started thinking: If I were to recommend a horror movie to someone for each decade, what would it be? What movie reflects the spirit of horror in that time best? This is the list I came up with, I wanted to see what you guys would pick:

1910's: Thomas Edison's Frankenstein: If you haven't seen this one, check it out on Youtube. Very early film, thought to be lost for years. If you want to start at the beginning of it all, you'd be hard pressed to do better than this one.

1920's: Nosferatu: When I think of vampires, this is what I think of. A great example of lent horror. Plus, it's the first film interpretation of Dracula

1930's: Bride of Frankenstein My favorite of the old Universal horror films. I was thinking about going with the original Universal Frankenstein or their Dracula, but in the end, I think this sums up the decade of Universal horror the best.

1940's: The Wolfman: The 40's kind of had a bit of a lull for horror films, for good reason. The Wolfman really feels like more of a 30's film, especially nce it came out in '41. But it's the best 40's horror movie I've seen.

1950's:Gojira:The original Godzilla film. My all-time favorite horror movie. I think it's the best example of the '50's horror/sci-fi crazy, radioactivity and all.

1960's:Night of the Living Dead: The 60's were kind of the bridge from "clasc" horror into what has become the more modern style and I was really torn on whether I should pick this or Psycho, both of which are a great example of this trantion. This wins out because it created the modern zombie.

1970's:Halloween: The movie that created the modern slasher and one of the best horror films: period.

1980's:A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors: The '80's is a hard decade to pick from, there were just SO many movies, but when I think of '80's horror, I think slashers and when I go to pick the best '80's slasher film, I have to choose this one.

1990's:Scream: While not my favorite film by far, it must be noted that it changed the game in horror. To some degree it led to a trantion milar to the one in the '60's, while not quite for black and white (no pun intended)

2000's:Freddy vs Jason: To some degree, '00's horror is defined by taking the '80's horror style (and often characters) and presenting them with the post-Scream rules and to some degree FvJ could only have happened in this environment. It was the showdown fans had been waiting for, and even if you didn't like it, it was better than it really had any right to be.
teamcerberus Tuesday 3/22/2011 at 12:49 AM | 73687
Christ Phil. I am not as old as you. I will start at...

1970's- Halloween- without a doubt. Nothing even comes close. 1980's- Nightmare on Elm Street 1984- This is THE Freddy for me. Plus we get to stare at Johnny Depp as a boy. 1990's- lence of the Lambs- Not sure if many of you would conder it horror or not. Definitely one of my favorite movies EVER. 2000's- Jeepers Creepers- I love this movie. When I went to see it I had no idea it was a monster movie. I didn't know the plot or anything about it, but we snuck into the movie and I fucking loved it. I saw it 3 times in the movies and was at Best Buy before opening to buy it on DVD. The DVD is so packed with awesome features, concept art, make up, interviews and all.

The movie from a directive stand point was amazing. The Creeper itself is to me, the horror icon of the 2000's
Dark Passenger Tuesday 3/22/2011 at 10:56 AM | 73699
great lists guys mine are:

60's = Psycho 70's = Halloween ( of corse this is my favorite 70's whos isent) 80's = this ones realy hard to pic! But im gonna say The Shining!!

90's = id probobly have to go with lence of the lambs aswell.

2000's = HMMM Im gonna say my bloody valentine. i actualy love the remake!!
Zombiezack50 Tuesday 3/22/2011 at 09:12 PM | 73717
60s : Night of the Living Dead 70s : Texas Chainsaw Massacre 80s : Evil Dead II 90s : Blair Witch Project 00s : 28 Days Later
atheistatic Friday 4/15/2011 at 05:21 AM | 74514