Forums Horror Collectibles
Don Post Epic Mask Flashback!

As far back as I can remember, some of my fondest childhood memories revolve around lying on the floor and drooling over whichever “monster” magazine I had most recently begged my Mom to buy me! I would eventually devour each magazine page by page, but first, first I hastily flipped through the blood splattered periodical until I came across the page…THE page…the full page ad featuring those legends of lovely latex! Of course I speak of none other than the glorious mask advertisements!

Ah, those blessed mask advertisements. Way before the internet and specialized “party” and “novelty” retail stores, the only news you could find for the newest “what’s what” in the mask world was contained on a ngle page in an issue of Monsters or Fangoria or whatever other mag you were lucky enough to find. These ads were the only oas we had in the desert of cute holidays until the first scent of Halloween emerged around mid September. Remember when Halloween merchandise came out in September instead of the beginning of August?!

Now-a-days, in the world of horror, masks aren’t merely limited to “just” Halloween. Scary, gross, clasc and character masks are part of our every day lives. Even if you don’t own a plethora of Michael Myers masks or an entire wall mounted with every imaginable style of Jason Voorhees “hock”, you still see posts of the work that independent artists are making or at the very least some fanboys review/criticism of whatever remakes failure to capture the essence of so and so’s mask in whatever it is!

In these modern space aged times, we have the resources to snatch up any style of mask we could ever posbly want, for any occaon, at any time, anywhere! Whether it be a webte or a retail store like Spencer’s ts or Party City (or whatever your local franchise might be named), masks, collectibles or bacally any horror related item is just a few moments away! But back in the day, waaaaaaay back…..waaaaaaaaaay back…..okay, echo effects just don’t translalate into words….

Anyway, way back in the day, in the beginning, there was Don Post. Based in California, Don Post Studios produced its first Frankenstein mask waaaay back in 1948, but the premiere commercially produced mask manufacturer is best known for its legendary line of 1960’s masks. Post launched its first officially licensed Universal Studios “Clasc Monsters” line in 1963. These masks originally retailed for $34! That’s more than I can afford now! I can’t imagine haw much that was in the 60’s! How in the world did anyone EVER convince their pare� to shell out that kind of dough for something that was probably only used on one day?

But I digress. The whole point of this lengthy article was to present the photos of previously said masks that I found online. In 1966, Prestige Publications produced a standard zed calendar displaying the first line of original Don Post masks. Without any further adieu, here are the original photos from the calendar as well as photos of the actual masks!FRANKENSTEIN
vbrockladyv Wednesday 4/06/2011 at 07:57 PM | 74158
This is a fantastic PostThank you so much for sharing this!!! Nick
myers n San Diego Thursday 4/07/2011 at 06:50 PM | 74182
Very cool post brother. I remember those times all to well. Man I wish Don Post still offered masks at this quality.
Ryn Friday 4/15/2011 at 04:41 PM | 74540