Forums Horror Movie Talk
THE END IS HERE! HALLOWEEN VS. A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET

It has been over two weeks nce the first annual HorrorBid’s

64 horror madness tournament kicked off. There were many fantastic movie match ups all though out the tournament. When I saw Hellraiser matching up against Texas Chainsaw Massacre the original in the second round, it was just a preview of what tough choices were to come. Taking horror/ thriller films from the 1960’s to 2009 was a really ambitious challenge to say the least. This was not so much created because I am a huge fan of all sports but this was my way of giving back to the fans of horrorbid.com and as well of showing what other people should do.

Many times when you will view other tes mostly the horror genera ones, they will just tell you what their top 10 is. This te here is about the fans nce 2007 and it’s staying that way. To wake up early in the morning and creating the match ups then to check in on them five hours later and view the feedback was a complete joy to my self. It didn’t just show me that you people have pason but it proved my point on how smart the fans of this te really are. There was not one argument when one film beat another. There were some great up sets and some blow outs. Overall, a ton of votes for each match up when they came out.

It now comes down to the giants of the horror industry. John Carpenter versus Wes Craven. These two have one big thing in common and it’s not the obvious. When “Halloween” came out in 1978 it really did change the game for horror. Many of the films before it was the same thing over and over again. John didn’t just make a faceless killer, he gave the killer such a presence in large part of John’s directing and his crew (Tommy Lee Wallace, Dean Cundey, Deborah Hill, etc.) setting the tone with the lighting, props and everything that made the film what it is. When it was all said and done, John Carpenter just gave a template for many directors to work from. Many and if not all just flat out stole the ideas but could never make it their own.

When you look at Wes Craven’s “A Nightmare on Elm st.” the story is milar to Mr. Carpenter’s. From 1979 to 1983 you had a mess of “slasher” films that were really ALL THE SAME! Face less killer, dumb teens getting killed, filled with poor acting. In 1984, Wes Craven changed that by showing everyone something different and something very intelligent. Just like Carpenter, it wasn’t just about the body count it was about story telling and character development. Those are things that even today lacks in many of the films that come out. N.O.E.S gave us a ck sadistic yet dare I say likable killer. It was such a breath of fresh air to have the killer talk in the movie. This was different and yet it was accepted by all die hard horror fans.

You great people here have the choice. What do you feel is the better film? As I said all along with any vote. Look at it this way. You have two films to watch “Halloween” or “Nightmare on Elm st.” Which one do you watch first?

Vincent Paul
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Thursday 4/07/2011 at 07:29 PM | 74186
halloween all the way i do however love anoes but still halloween has that quality that i love..... dark force that is very seldom seen hiding in the darkness waiting to attack
kanesoto Thursday 4/07/2011 at 07:34 PM | 74187
when you break it down like that "what do I want to watch 1st"....... I have to go with nightmare
Stilesp1985 Thursday 4/07/2011 at 07:36 PM | 74188
This is gonna be interesting!!!!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Thursday 4/07/2011 at 07:37 PM | 74189
Sorry Michael but Freddy will always hold my heart. <3 Long live Nightmare.
Kiki_Freddy's_girl Thursday 4/07/2011 at 07:46 PM | 74190
I'm so horrible, i voted nightmare only cause halloween knocked out my Friday 4. Your goin down michael!!!
MiLeSx13x Thursday 4/07/2011 at 09:10 PM | 74199
This is to crown the first ever champion of the 64 horror madness.
Rabbit in Red Radio Thursday 4/07/2011 at 09:38 PM | 74200
When does this poll end?
Kiki_Freddy's_girl Friday 4/08/2011 at 12:10 AM | 74206
I love both films. But I have to go with A Nightmare On Elm Street. The set up for Halloween is cool but straight forward and mplistic. A very young boy kills his ster for no apparent reason. The boy is locked up for 15 years in a mental hospital. he breaks out and returns to small town were he had killed his ster to kill again and again. He is just a crazy on the loose with a penchant for killing. That is all we know. We get a sense that the killer is hard to stop at the end of the film when the Dr. Loomis character shoots him point blank x times and the killer falls from a second story balcony only to vanish into the night. The question of motive is not answered till the sequel. Now on the other hand Freddy from A Nightmare On Elm Street is a lot more complex. He was a child murder who the legal system fails to put behind bars. This miscarriage of justice of course does not t well with the parents of the victims and other towns people. So these outraged people decide to take justice into there own hands and burn this murder to death. Then things got really interesting. This murder gets revenge from beyond death by terrorizing the children of the people who killed him. He does this by haunting the dreams of these children. When he kills them in their dreams they die in the real world. It is not explained how the killer managed to accomplish this until several sequels latter. But for the first film that is quite alright. It is something that just is and the characters in the film that are posble victims have to find a way to deal with this reality. There is no getting away from that kind of threat. Sooner or later you have to sleep.

Piman334 Friday 4/08/2011 at 02:07 AM | 74210
Oh hell this is the hardest question you could give me. I love both these films so much it's imposble to chose which is better in my mind. I spent a major part of my early years watching Elm Street and all it's sequels daily. And Halloween is the bad boy that started it all!!! And Myers has become a huge part of my adult years. Jesus guys you can't do this to me!!!!!! or ??????????????

Shit man I don't know yet. I'll think about it.
Ryn Friday 4/08/2011 at 03:23 AM | 74217
FREDDY! FREDDY! FREDDY!!!

Freddy-Fingers Friday 4/08/2011 at 04:28 PM | 74225
Halloween Rules!!!!!
mdmanmarz Friday 4/08/2011 at 04:49 PM | 74226
Realistically, I would have to watch Halloween first because if I watched it second I would fall asleep.
RandyCandy Friday 4/08/2011 at 04:57 PM | 74228
Damn I did not expect it to be this damn close

immortaldeath24 Friday 4/08/2011 at 05:10 PM | 74229
My heads gonna explode. This is tough!
shadowbat69 Friday 4/08/2011 at 06:24 PM | 74236
Although ANOES is my favourite horror film i just dont like the original halloween.

Yes i am probably going to get slandered for this but the original halloween is both boring and hard to take seriously for me. Its a quiet film, trying to be reallly dramatic and intensely serious at all times. Then you see micheal playing hide n seek in the background of most of his scence, i really cant take it seriously. Yes i really liked the remake of halloween, micheal is a cool character, but i just do not like the original film. Hate on me if you will.
FredKrueg3r Friday 4/08/2011 at 10:57 PM | 74240
i agree with RandyCandy...i'd watch Halloween first and leave the best for last. don't get me wrong, i love halloween but nightmare is so much more exciting.

dinkey427 Friday 4/08/2011 at 11:25 PM | 74242

:: nightmare on elm street is the ultimate horror movie of all time! freddy krueger will always be my favorite greatest villan of all time!this villan took horror to a whole new level.jason,michael myers,chucky,pinhead,hatchet have nothing on this guy! he has scared me nce his first movie when i was just 9 years old. he will remain in my heart and mind the greatest good/bad guy ever!
ponytail Saturday 4/09/2011 at 12:57 AM | 74249
got to be elm street
Fred55x Saturday 4/09/2011 at 03:54 AM | 74251
nightmare on elm street is the ultimate horror movie of all time! freddy krueger will always be my favorite greatest villan of all time!this villan took horror to a whole new level.jason,michael myers,chucky,pinhead,hatchet have nothing on this guy! he has scared me nce his first movie when i was just 9 years old. he will remain in my heart and mind the greatest good/bad guy ever! halloween puts my 9 year old daughter to sleep!noes scares the shit out of kids and this kind of movie gets 10 thumbs up!
ponytail Saturday 4/09/2011 at 05:34 AM | 74254
I'm shocked NOES is winning personally. I love Freddy and I do think the first film is the best. However Halloween is a clasc and paved the way for many other horror films. Halloween will always be #1 to me regardless which one wins this contest. Remember this, if Halloween wasn't made or wasn't the success it was, you may not have had Freddy or Jason after that.
joebizz34 Saturday 4/09/2011 at 01:28 PM | 74257
halloween all the way for me thou nightmare got me in to horror movies but when i seen halloween i was truely hooked on it

heartlessangel Thursday 4/14/2011 at 04:09 PM | 74483
This is a tricky one!!!!! Ok the first horror film I watched and scared the crap out of me was A Nightmare On Elm Street Pt1 when I was 12, and from that day to now I hold the original dear too my heart......but if I take a step back from that attachment and I was given a choice of Halloween or ANOES, I would go for Halloween.......why????? I like the dark creepiness of the film (ok ANOES has that but it's not the same as in the clasc Halloween)........so it's Halloween for me
markrdi Friday 4/15/2011 at 12:22 PM | 74521
Halloween. With no shame calling NOES the second best.
MAD Monday 4/18/2011 at 01:46 AM | 74637
AW MAN HALLOWEEN ALL THE WAY! haha yes i love elm street but something about feddy n the plot never got to me as Halloween did (the 1st one the 20 some remakes)

boogeyman8 Monday 4/18/2011 at 03:33 AM | 74640
will always be my champion, but in this matchup, I got to go with

over

MPN212 Monday 4/18/2011 at 05:25 PM | 74657
I don't really want to choose. I love both films, for different reasons. I love NOES, because I have

been watching the movies in it's series nce I was 10. And before I had ever seen any of the films, I can recall knowing about them because of what kids at school who were allowed to watch them said. And based on what I saw on the commericals for NOES 4 and 5.I was scared of Freddy before I had even seen any of the movies, so that says a lot. I also love NOES because I have met people who were in it.I met Heather LagenKamp at last year's Crypticon in Seattle, I bought my copy of Never Sleep Again from her, and that was really cool. I also love it because I

have great memories of watching the original NOES with some of my best friends, but I can say the same thing about Halloween..I have watched the original Halloween 100s of times nce the first time I saw it at age 13. Like with Freddy, I was scared of Micheal Myers before I had seen any of the Halloween films..I did see the commercial for Halloween 4, at age 10, and I can remember having a nightmare about Micheal Myers trying to get into my house. I am also going to meet someone who was in the original Halloween. I am going to Crypticon in Seattle next month, and PJ Soles is going to be there, I requested the day off from work to go, and most likely I am going to get it..She and Bill Moseley are the two people at the convention I am the most excited about seeing, and I am already thinking about what I am going to say to them. Anyway, I am not voting. NOES and Halloween have been part of my life nce I was a kid. I don't feel like I can choose. Now if this was a question about the remakes I could. I loved Zombie's Halloween and H2. And last year when the NOES remake came out, I was very excited, I went to see it in the theater. I enjoyed it the first time I saw it...But the 2nd time I saw it, I didn't..That is how I know I really like a movie, can I watch it many times and still like it.
Moon Tuesday 4/19/2011 at 06:04 AM | 74702