Forums Horror Movie Talk
SAW Series May Continue On - More News Breaks

Let’s face it. I don’t care if you are a fan of the SAW series or someone that can’t stand them. They have helped the horror genre more than they have hurt it. Personally, I love the series. They hasn’t been a series like it where you have to piece things together the way SAW made you go back and think. I was a bit sadden by the predictable ending to SAW 3-D. I loved it but we all knew it was coming. It needed to be a kick in the balls. One that goes back and connects to something in every film, one that would really leave you speechless. I’m glad they ended the series but part of me wants it to continue. For those fellow SAW fans that are right there with me, then our prayers may be answered! More after the leap!

Our friends at Movie Web recently spoke to SAW Original creator Leigh Whannell and here is what he had to say about continuing horror’s most successful franchise.

“Yeah. Sure. We don't t around and play with ideas. We don't spend an afternoon chatting about where that could go. We are so busy working on other stuff. But we are definitely responve to it. We are still friends with the producers, and they did such a great job taking care of the franchise. They really catered to the fans of the franchise that loved it. It’s hard to have anything but affection for the Saw films, because that is the one that granted our life's wish. I would definitely be open to one day doing something else with the Saw films. Knowing James Wan and I, and how we work, I think it would have to be something totally fresh and new.”

When asked if he still has traps in mind for a future sequel, he said

"No! Not at all. I think the last time I had a folder of traps was for Saw III. That was the last one I wrote. Once I was finished with that, I wanted to write something completely different. I wrote things that were the complete oppote of Saw. I wrote a children's film. It is a fantasy adventure type movie. It was good to try something that was at the oppote end of the spectrum. But the idea of coming back to Saw? I would be open to it. However many years time it takes, and the producers want to revit it, we would definitely chat with them."

So no new SAW right now, but what’s next for Wan & Whannell?

“There is a project that James Wan and I are working on. I haven't done the full-on work for it yet. It could be something in a sci-fi context that could be ripe for larger social or political themes, as apposed to a more personal theme. I will have to wait for that. I have been writing a horror comedy on the commentary of the current state of political debate in America. The right verses left name calling. It is very childish, if you flip between screaming commentators on Fox News, or whatever. It is out of control. I am not sure if it gets worse from here, or if it peaks and comes back to a more reasonable time. I was watching Network the other night, and I was like, this guy nailed it years in advance. When that movie came out, I am sure it seemed crazy and unrealistic that a news anchorman would be able to just rant and rave. If you watch Glenn Beck, what is he but the character from Network? It's so valid and resonant today. More so than back then. The shows that it was predicting actually exist. So there is something to compare it to. That is something that I guess is a more social and political thing that I have cloaked in the genre of a horror comedy. We will see.”

Time will tell if we have seen the last of Jigsaw, but I can happily say I’m thrilled.

Written by HorrorBid Columnist: Patrick Farmer

Source: Movie Hole
pmfarmer Sunday 4/10/2011 at 06:50 PM | 74302
Saw is done. I think the series rapped up nicely. I don't see why so many people hated on Saw 3D. I loved how the dude from the 1st one played a key Behind the scenes roll. yea it being in 3D was a bit lame, but still liked the story
Stilesp1985 Sunday 4/10/2011 at 08:16 PM | 74304
Don't get me wrong, i LOVED the fact that Dr. Gordon was helping the whole time. But the flashback sequence could have been a bit more epic. The feeling that you were left with in Saw- Saw 3 should have been their in this last one.
pmfarmer Sunday 4/10/2011 at 08:37 PM | 74307
Yea the flashback scenes could have been more......LOL I didn't write Dr. Gordon cause I didn't want to spoil it "IF" someone read this and didn't see the movie yet.
Stilesp1985 Monday 4/11/2011 at 07:10 AM | 74337
ahh the intangible IF opp! lol
pmfarmer Monday 4/11/2011 at 02:44 PM | 74339