Forums Horror Movie Talk
Horrors Next Big Icon?

Horror just killed off its last big icon last year, Jigsaw. Love him or hate him you cant deny his legacy. With the death of Jigsaw marks an odd time for horror...who is the new big horror icon? We desperately need one, we need a new Freddy, a new Jason, a new killer that were going to see 7 to 8 sequels to.

I know some may be reading this that think I'm totally out of my mind, but think about it, who is that big name that everyone knows about? "What about Ghostface? Hes coming back with a new sequel." Eh i know but even though the new movie looks good, hes old news.

Victor Crowly you say? I would totally agree with you but hes just not big enough, not to many people outde the horror community even know who he is.

Paranormal Activity? I'm just going to assume you guys weren't thinking that

The only time horror was in this potion was in the early 90s. The best we had was leprechaun, Pinhead was still making sequels but those went straight to video fast. Eh maybe I'm

just thinking about it to much but in order for horror to stay strong, it needs a poster boy. It needs the next big killer. Jason, Freddy, Michael to just name a few in the 80s, Ghostface stepped in for what looked like a doomed 90s, Jigsaw took the 2000s. What now?

Do we just keep remaking things over and over again?

MiLeSx13x Monday 4/11/2011 at 07:08 PM | 74347
Victor Crowly Leslie Vernon Chromeskull Babyface Just a couple i thought of.
fallon6190 Monday 4/11/2011 at 10:29 PM | 74357

Well i mentioned victor crowly, but the others are even more lesser known then him. By the way Babyface, bleh, that movie was terrible
MiLeSx13x Monday 4/11/2011 at 10:55 PM | 74359

Well i mentioned victor crowly, but the others are even more lesser known then him. By the way Babyface, bleh, that movie was terrible

Whoa, Hills Run Red was awesome. The new one is Ghostface. We have scream 4 then 5 and 6. so we should be good till 2015-2016.

Also:

The Collector (part 2 is coming)

Pinhead will be back (hellraer remake)

Myers (halloween:H3 will get made)
Stilesp1985 Monday 4/11/2011 at 11:16 PM | 74361
I didnt get the whole hills run red thing, i know a lot of people and red a lot of reviews that said it was good but i didnt get it. But the whole remake thing doesnt count, that means that we could still count freddy and jason and michael. There going to remake it then forget about it, no sequels! No NEW horror icon. I do have to admit the collecter did come to mind...but hes not an ICON! AND we dont know about scream 5 and 6. you guys dont agree?
MiLeSx13x Monday 4/11/2011 at 11:43 PM | 74363
okay I'll give you that (no remakes). But I will bet that after this weekends numbers come out Scream 5 and 6 are greenlighted a.s.a.p.
Stilesp1985 Tuesday 4/12/2011 at 12:15 AM | 74364
Hills Run Red blew, and the other mentioned killers aren't "big" enough. Out of the lot, Crowley has the biggest following but truthfully the horror community is divided on HATCHET anyway. Crowley might be a character that does grow over time.

The most recent true icons I'd say are the Firefly clan, specifically Otis and Capt. Spaulding. The characters are huge in terms of merchandise, droves of fans have tattoos of the characters, and the actors who played them are well sought after at conventions. Capt Spaulding and Otis have a solid mythos behind them, which is something the original icons had and its something that characters like The Collector and others dont have.
ny ghoul Tuesday 4/12/2011 at 12:28 AM | 74365
Crowley might not be big enough now but I feel he has potential to be the next icon. With hatchet 3 coming it feels hes just going to keep getting bigger with time
DoubleshotJ Tuesday 4/12/2011 at 01:09 AM | 74368
Crowley is great, I am a huge fan of Adam Green and what he has done with the HATCHET series but it just lacks the mainstream that Freddy, Jason and Myers had. Until we get another true "icon" I just don't see us 80's slasher fans being truly satisfied. I love Crowley, I just am not sure he has the staying power to hold up to the test of time like others.

Someone on Facebook suggested a women slasher type character? Could that work? It really hasn't been done?
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Tuesday 4/12/2011 at 04:35 AM | 74374
Ya I guess I would have to agree that hatchet isn't mainstream enough to get to Jason, Freddy status but I think as of now Crowley has the best chance. I really don't think we will see a new icon emerge any time soon because The majority of horror films are remakes. How can a new icon be born if all the filmmakers are remaking everything.

Angela from sleepaway camp is kinda female
DoubleshotJ Tuesday 4/12/2011 at 05:01 AM | 74375