Forums Horror Movie Talk
THEY LIVE Gets a Writer/Director

This might be really hard for most of us Bidites to swallow. We've been hearing about a THEY LIVE re-make, re-write, re-envioning, re-boot, whatever for a while now, now the project finally has a writer and director. Matt Reeves http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSh9KLLpjbZ3yoQtoZpqwZtX-rsX6u7cSyCTc0GKd_JkGDtHj5V

Matt Reeves (Cloverfield, Let Me In) will write and direct a film based on the Ray Nelson short story 8 O’Clock in the Morning. I say "a film based on" because it will not be a direct redo of They Live, so maybe our beloved John Carpenter clasc will be safe for now. The bac premise of a guy who can see that aliens are all around us but no one else can see them will be the same though. No magic sunglasses this time. Reeves is proming a different direction.

"I saw an opportunity to do a movie that was very point-of-view driven, a psychological science fiction thriller that explores this guy’s nightmare. There could be a desperate love story at the center of this. Carpenter took a satirical view of the material and the larger political implication that we’re being controlled. I am very drawn to the emotional de, the nightmare experience with the paranoia of Invaon of the Body Snatchers or a Roman Polanski-style film."

Strike Entertainment producers Eric Newman and Marc Abraham chose Reeves because of his "point of view" style. Newman described Reeves' style by saying;

"Whether it was the POV of the camera in Cloverfield or the young boy realizing that a vampire was living next store in Let Me In, Matt’s work shines at . There is a paranoid element to this, but the audience is in lock step with this guy, seeing the aliens from his point of view."

Reeves is in the process of writing and putting the film together as we speak. Let's see if THEY LIVE will live or die with the diehard fans of the original who may not go into it with fresh eyes.....or maybe special sunglasses....
vbrockladyv Monday 4/11/2011 at 08:03 PM | 74351
I have to stop reading all of this remake news

This is getting really depresng. I remember back in the day nobody even liked John Carpenter or his movies and now people can't wait to jump on them and freaking destroy them.

This is yet another sad day for meNick
myers n San Diego Tuesday 4/12/2011 at 04:27 PM | 74393
I have to stop reading all of this remake news

This is getting really depresng. I remember back in the day nobody even liked John Carpenter or his movies and now people can't wait to jump on them and freaking destroy them.

This is yet another sad day for meNick i could not agree more dude its really sad that people need to remake movies that dont need reboots these are the dark ages in horror movies

heartlessangel Thursday 4/14/2011 at 04:17 PM | 74485