Forums Horror Movie Talk
Scream Again

An article regarding The Scream franchise from another fan's perspective in light of opening weekend.

Scream Again

by Johnny Drive-in

1980s horror is the stuff of legends. It is the decade that gave birth to most of entertainment's famous modern day monsters.Growing up in the nineties as a young horror fan with nice,but somewhat forgettable tales such as 'Candy man' or 'Leprechaun' I couldn't help but wonder if horror was going to just...die.It had it's heyday,and all of the clasc slasher icons were getting noticeably tired.Jason was going to hell,and Freddy was dead.My Curioty peaked in 1996 after seeing a rather short TV spot for a new horror film. Wes Craven's 'Scream'.I actually managed to only catch the last few seconds of the spot in which a crying Drew Barrymore was under attack in a nice upscale suburban house.A funworld ghost mask staring at her through the window.I recognized the mask from a trip to the grocery store one Halloween when I saw the entire costume on sale for three dollars.Who knew it would become the next horror icon?

After collecting as much knowledge and memorabilia on Scream that I could, time came to rush into theaters and essentially watch 90s horror history unfold.There were arguments amongst people scrambling to find a seat.Ushers and employees sticking around to watch the opening sequence.People did scream,and it was a slasher-driven joyride into the depths of Horror movie subculture.I mean...it was freaking awesome!Nothing could top that opening scene.It was weird to recently find out in the BIO channel documentary that Drew Barrymore had originally been booked for the role of dney and changed her mind at the last minute.

I instantly became a fan of writer Kevin Williamson's creation,and did my research on him and how he breathed new life into the old slasher movie formula.In the original script he had called for the killer to just have a "white mask" on,and I suppose it was up to Wes Craven or props department on the project to find a suitable medium.The movie franchise made the entire costumed robe of the "Father Death/Father Reaper" a highly sought after collectible.Inspiring fans everywhere to mimic the altered screen used veron.

A year passed,and we Scream fans got a meager bone in Kevin Williamson's next writing project "I Know what you did last summer".Not a bad movie for fans to gnaw on while eagerly awaiting the next Scream installment,which debuted that same year.Scream 2 had managed to take everything from the first movie,and kick it up a notch.It also poked fun at itself,some scenes being a parody of the original.Again, I was there in theater on opening weekend middle row and ready to enjoy another blood bath this time taking place on a College campus.My favorite scenes were of the hilarious "geek" Randy Meeks played by Jamie Kennedy,and the suspense driven "Omega Beta Zeta" scene with Sarah Michelle Gellar.In my opinion the second installment managed to take the hip first movie and blow it up into it's own worldwide culture.

The phenomena was getting bigger and better with each horror pun,and orchestral hit (right when the killer pops up).The cast and crew no doubt enjoyed their success,and it seemed that Scream may have been finished.A year had gone by and no next installment.Maybe the story was over.d goes to College,overcomes the odds and lives a happy life til the end.Another year rolls by,and people kind of get tired of seeing Ghostface at their Halloween party.They had all rode that train,and it was pretty much gone.

It wasn't until 2000 that Scream 3 returned to surprise us all,albeit had a few people yawning and turning away in boredom.I was half optimistic about Scream 3,but still managed to catch opening weekend in middle row.Sadly, I lost my Austin powers watch in that theater.It was a really cool one too.Scream 3 brought in a fresh look by not having it take place in a scenery of learning,but Hollywood.In turn it became a parody once again but in the process kind of confused itself. Maybe the parody schtick had gotten a little out of hand.Going from the STAB movies,then parodying movie studios,and finally the actors themselves!The message Scream 3 was trying to send out was blurred and fuzzy.On the other hand they were wrapping up a Trilogy and when you look at it that way,it starts to make a little sense.Technology was advancing around that time,and the killer had gone from regular cellphone taunts to a really sophisticated do-hicky device that stored everyone's voice memory.

Scream has developed a brilliant self-rejuvenating formula over the years.It doesn't matter who the killer is,given the fact that it is no one in particular gives ghostface the edge of immortality.It is said that a movie franchise is only dead when it's audience declares so,and I find that very true. I witnessed a few internet campaigns,and message boards gathering up hype about protesting another scream installment.Nearly 10 years had passed nce the last one,and just when the killer seemed dead sprawled on the floor near the exit he grabs the audience by the foot once again.I'm trying to win free tickets over Spirit Halloween,and it's not working! Scream 4 is due out in theaters this weekend,and at any rate I'll be there in the middle row.

Sources/References: Scream:The Inde Story originally aired on BIO Channel Fangoria Magazine Spirit Halloween Scream 4 Contest Image grabs taken from the Scream Trilogy Box set
johnny drivein Thursday 4/14/2011 at 08:55 AM | 74466