Forums Horror Movie Talk
UPDATE: SCREAM 4 Suffers At The Box Office

UPDATE: The weekend totals are in and SCREAM 4 got slaughtered! Here's a link to the full story: http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3142&p=.htm

Just looked on Box Office Mojo, the estimates for Friday are in and it's not good SCREAM fans. The film, which had a reported budget of $40 million, took the second spot for Friday earning only $8 million. The animated family film Rio took the top spot with $10 million. It seems like a down week at the box office, which is happening more frequently these days.

I'm asking myself why? SCREAM 4 wasn't a bad movie by any means, and I'm not saying that just because I'm a lover of all things DIMENON FILMS. It had a solid story, although, there were some things that I would've done differently. I won't mention them here because I don't want to give anything away. Overall I went in with very high expectations and came out satisfied. I thought the new cast did a good enough job, and I was thrilled to see Dewey, dney, and Gale back in action. I was a little disappointed that we didn't get a Randy cameo, but hey you can't win em all, right?

Now back to the real question, what needs to be done to get asses in the seats? I think theaters and studio heads really need to t down and

re-evaluate this entire tuation. I understand money needs to be made, but with gas prices on the rise are people really going to pay $11-12 per ticket to go to the movies? I think not. Just my two cents. Here's hoping that the rest of the weekend is better for Scream!

Here's a link to view the estimated Friday totals: http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart
LoomisLives2010 Sunday 4/17/2011 at 03:39 AM | 74595
as long as it doesn't drop, it should be fine. But that is a low take for Friday. I went to the 11:00 a.m. showing and there was only 15 people there (but it was 11 a.m).
Stilesp1985 Sunday 4/17/2011 at 04:15 AM | 74597
I went midnight on Friday and it was packed. It doesn't look like there's a lot of competition next week, so I agree with you. I'm just hoping it doesn't drop.
LoomisLives2010 Sunday 4/17/2011 at 04:22 AM | 74598
Where i live i bought my tickets 4 days early just incase it was sold out and boy was i right. Every showing from Friday 1:10pm till sunday was sold out. I'm going to go see it again on Tuesday which is cheap night only 6 bucks a ticket. I convinved like 10 of my other friends to go see it with me. I really hope the Saturday results and sunday results step up, it's a shame a movie about a bird animation is beating this amazing film. Obviously this 3-D shit is where people are going to see lately which isn't what movie going is about.
AJxSCREAMx87 Sunday 4/17/2011 at 04:29 AM | 74599
I actually was really disappointed in the film.

I went on Friday night 8pm showing at a popular downtown theater and there were only maybe 25 people in there.

I am really getting bored with these remakes.

I profesonally degn haunts for a living (15 years) and have seriously been condering writing scripts for film. Scream 1 was amazing! Im ready for something new Hollywood! Bring it!! Dont make have have to teach you all a thing or two!
Sinister Pointe Sunday 4/17/2011 at 06:22 AM | 74602
The weekend is not over just yet. To keep a track on how the film is doing here is the link.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=scream4.htm
Rabbit in Red Radio Sunday 4/17/2011 at 01:21 PM | 74607
I hate to tell you Vince but it is over. The studio pumped 40 million into it. It'll make less than 20 which will be condered a HUGE loss. Not trying to be a buzzkill just realistic.

Judging from it's $19.3 million weekend total I guess I was right.
LoomisLives2010 Sunday 4/17/2011 at 03:31 PM | 74610
Im hoping for a major turn around,but whether that happens is up to you horror fans out there.I urge all of you whose read this article and are reading my reply that if you haven't seen this film yet to go out and do so.I Saw it and it is awesome.If it doesn't show a profit then that could and probably will be the end of the Scream franchise and none of us hardcore horror fans want that.Also tell your friendsand have them tell people they know. You'd be surprised what can happen when word get's around.Don't give up on Ghost Face just yet.
horrorlord Sunday 4/17/2011 at 11:17 PM | 74631
Im hoping for a major turn around,but whether that happens is up to you horror fans out there.I urge all of you whose read this article and are reading my reply that if you haven't seen this film yet to go out and do so.I Saw it and it is awesome.If it doesn't show a profit then that could and probably will be the end of the Scream franchise and none of us hardcore horror fans want that.Also tell your friendsand have them tell people they know. You'd be surprised what can happen when word get's around.Don't give up on Ghost Face just yet. I agree with you and hope it does turn around. I read a comment on Facebook where someone believes that it'll become a DTV franchise. H2 underperformed as did Piranha and they're still doing sequels to those so time will tell.
LoomisLives2010 Monday 4/18/2011 at 01:23 AM | 74636
Sadly, the days of many films recouping their costs (and what is published as "cost" of the film does not include advertisement/publicity which sometimes is double the film making cost) is long gone. At the box office that is. Many horror films in recent years, RZ's Halloween's for example, underperformed at the box office but were great in dvd sales. Cost of tickets doesn't really explain things. It does in the sense that overall less people are going to the movies, but why are more people going to SAW films then to Scream or Halloween? Its the demographic. Fans of older franchise films tend to be more hardcore genre fans, and while we seem like armies of the night at conventions and here on forums, nationally we are a minority. The average modern movie goer from the ages of 16 to their mid 20's is the same type of spoon fed cultural hipster, waiting to ride whatever the next social wave that MTV tells them is cool. These people go for dinner on a friday night and then to the movies. Whatever film has "the buzz" is where they will go plunk down money for. PARANORMAL ACTIVITY was a "sensation" so they went. INDIOUS has a buzz, so they'll go there as well. Thats how I see it. How many of these fucks is going to give two shits about a film milar to MANIAC? or another TCM film?
ny ghoul Tuesday 4/19/2011 at 03:12 AM | 74688
That is how it is..Older fans, people my age ( early 30's) or older have less money to spend for fun than teens. I have rent to pay, and car insurance, and credit card and cable/internet bills...Sometimes, I have to decide which movies I really care about seeing in the theater, because that does get expenve at 10 dollars per ticket. But, I did go out to see Scre4m on Saturday night, and I had fun. Someone else I know went too, because she saw the original movies in the theaters, when she was a teen, and she also had fun,so there are people who aren't necessarily horror fans, but who fondly remember the original movies from the 90's, who will go see it, and buy the dvd.

It is rediculous that movie companies put so much importance on how a movie does in the first 3 days it came out. Not every movie is going to be a huge blockbuster in 3 days.
Moon Wednesday 4/20/2011 at 03:30 AM | 74748