Forums Horror Movie Talk
A Director Rises For PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND ZOMBIES!

Lionsgate PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND ZOMBIES finally has a director, Craig Gillespie. Now that the director is set, what will be the fate of David O. Russell's script which was said to be a huge source of momentum for the project? Well, apparently, the script is still hanging in there and production is set to start at the end of the summer.

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Gillespie said; "…we have a really great script that we’re just going to do a polish on and then get going, really…. David Russell wrote the script off the book, and it has such a great mix of humor and horror. I just love being able to juggle those two aspects."

and how important was the script as a "selling point" for him? "I was still finishing up Fright Night, but in the meantime I called my agent and said, “I want to see that script.” He said, “I’m not sure we’d be able to figure out the timing.” But I read the first 30 pages and said, “I want to do this.” It’s just such a great combination between clasc literature — Jane Austen, and meshing it with zombies. The challenge of meshing those two genres is really exciting to me."

The production as it stands is being touted as a " blend of the core love story from Jane Austen’s novel, but also quite a bit of zombie action" with a lot of "big set pieces". Personally, those zombie scenes are going to have to be more than "a bit of zombie action" for me to have full attention! Of course I can be sold on a story line if the movie as a whole presents a mood and pulls me into a universe of its own. luckily, Gillespie is planning just that."There’s going to be a strong gothic undertone, which ties the two genres together. It’s more in the world of

Sleepy Hollow, where it’s somewhat stylized. We have that creative license because of the zombies. I’ll certainly do my homework and explore genres to see what might work, but it’s going to have that strong Gothic sense, I think."

As usual, we'll have new info up faster than Mr. Darcy can....um....well, okay so I don't know what Mr. Darcy does.....but it'll be fast I tell you!

vbrockladyv Tuesday 4/19/2011 at 09:09 PM | 74722