Forums Horror Movie Talk
We Need FRIDAY THE 13th & A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET Sequels

In 2009 the remake of Friday the 13th was released and last year in 2010 the A Nightmare on Elm Street remake came out. This year it was Scream 4, so the question now is what's on tap for 2012. Of course, Underworld 4 will be released and as great as that is (because believe me I am a huge fan of that series) I still think there's room for Newline to fit in a slasher film in the cinema's.

Their definitely over due nce the re-boot's were huge success's and now is the perfect time for them to green light a sequel to one or the other. With the Hellraiser remake and Child's Play remake still in limbo there isn't a reason why Warner Brothers shouldn't put the pressure to get these projects done. We fan's deserve better than this other drivel they keep tosng out way. They are supposed to be taking a less risk, higher rewards attitude which would make nce with two hugely successful franchises. I mean has either ever lost money? And the cash flow they made off the remakes it's apparent to me and all the other horror fans out there that all logic is lost in their attitude.

The only people that seem to make any sense at all is Warner Brothers. It's still kind of early to tell for certain if Scream 4 will be a success, but even if the worse happens and it flops, it shouldn't effect there decion because as great and as legendary as the Scream franchise is, it's no comparison to the Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street franchises.

Those two franchises are in a league of there own along with the John Carpenter's clasc 1978 Halloween. There seems to be nothing happening on that franchise front any time soon either, but Halloween 3D would be another great choice if Warner brothers sleeps on their two main franchises. One company's loss is anothers gain.

If neither company get's the ball moving then I'm not expecting a very good year for 2012. Warner Brothers needs to revit the Newline and Paramount's 1980's attitude. Back then they seemed to have a sequel of both every other year. Depending on these studios and their willingness to play ball will determine exactly how great we horror fans will have it, not only in 2012, but in the years to come.

horrorlord Tuesday 4/19/2011 at 09:17 PM | 74723
I'm a huge fan of noes and I like F13, but I do not want anymore sequels if they are going to be like the remakes they put out. I rather they t for 10 years before even thinking about touching them again. create something new.
Stilesp1985 Wednesday 4/20/2011 at 03:52 AM | 74750
For the record those remake's of A Nightmare on Elm street and Friday the 13th were great,iconic horror movies just like the one's from the 80's were.Theres never been a bad film in either of those franchises history.
horrorlord Wednesday 4/20/2011 at 09:04 PM | 74793
)For the record those remake's of A Nightmare on Elm street and Friday the 13th were great,iconic horror movies just like the one's from the 80's were.Theres never been a bad film in either of those franchises history.

yea, they were great if your 15 and didn't grow up with the originals. The remakes blew and I'll go on record abot the originals F13 part 9 blows part 8 dumb ending,part 7(I like it but come on)..........noes part 4 no patricia arquette,that was a let down...part 5 I couldn't stand Jacob (freddy a dad?) Part 6 (i love it but a little to jokey)

Then FvsJ, Yes it was a let down,but atleast it happened so I'm cool with it.

maybe money wise they weren't "bad" but the story lines were butchered after awhile...Atleast Halloween Kept continuity up to H20, which had they put in the scene of Jamie lee learning her daughter (Danielle Harris) was killed(a student was giving a report on Michael Myers, and listed his victims)it would have tied it all together.
Stilesp1985 Thursday 4/21/2011 at 12:04 AM | 74799
No we don't need a sequels to these movie because there remake failed at the box off .Look with the price of gas and everything not everyone has the 15.00 to see a movie and bede the remake sucked .Nobody can play Jason any better than Kane H and nobody can play Freddy but Mr Robert Englund it just that mple .
nightmareblade Thursday 4/21/2011 at 03:51 AM | 74808
No we don't need a sequels to these movie because there remake failed at the box off .Look with the price of gas and everything not everyone has the 15.00 to see a movie and bede the remake sucked .Nobody can play Jason any better than Kane H and nobody can play Freddy but Mr Robert Englund it just that mple .

Well put Mr. Nightmareblade! I was kinda on board for the Friday remake until i actually saw it :(

And i just watched the NOES remake last week and I thought it was compelete crap... I'd love a sequal to either of these franchises but honestly I'd rather not feel let down again

kizzle Thursday 4/21/2011 at 06:27 PM | 74826
God yes we do need FRIDAY 13TH sequal!!

And yes Kane is the best Jason, and i'm sorry but if Robert Englund doesn't play Freddy, then it isn't the same, he

makes Freddy!!

cat Friday 4/22/2011 at 02:29 PM | 74868
I don't know why people say these films failed at the box office.A Nightmare on Elm street grossed $115,657,648 at the box office and Friday the 13th grossed $91,379,051.That ain't a failure.I also want to say that im a big Robert Englund fan,but at the end of the day if I had to choose between no freddy movie because Robert can't do it anymore or a freddy movie without him im taking the freddy sequel because Freddy Krueger is so iconic that he's bigger than any human being that portrated him and I know Robert Englund would want to see the character live on as I do for many sequel's to come.I loved the original series and the only complaint ive ever really had about the series was that there weren't enough sequel'-s.The same goes for Friday the 13th,there weren't nearly enough sequel's.Other than that they were legendary,but im a g-rown adult and im not going to give up on these franchise's for a lly reason that

would rather somebody else be in the role.I hope for a couple decade's filled with alot of sequel's and if you are true Freddy and Jason fan's you'll want them too.
horrorlord Friday 4/22/2011 at 04:00 PM | 74872
I have to agree...we need sequels from both franchises. Both remakes were great for different reasons, although I have to admit my first time seeing Friday the 13th I didn't like it. But as I watched it more it grew on me, and I really enjoyed Derek Mears' portrayal of Jason. As for NOES, Jackie was an awesome Freddy, I don't care what anybody says. That movie was full of win. It's very important that we get sequels for these movies, and you would think with all the money they made Warner would be all over it. If only we were in the 80s again...it must have been a great time to be alive back then. I was born in 85, so I don't remember alot of it...but it should be like that again. It probably won't happen though sadly enough or we would have heard something by now. Maybe in 2013....ya know if we're all still here that is.
TheElmStreetSpectre Friday 4/22/2011 at 07:24 PM | 74877
Interesting thread guys. Brad Fuller of Platinum Dunes has repeatedly said that the Friday franchise will undoubtedly get a sequel. I believe this because at the end of the day, the studios are suffering in this economy because they know nobody wants to spend "x" amount of dollars on something that can suck. That's why they "play it safe" with established franchises.(This is where the suits/numbers and creative people can't see eye to eye)I also feel in twenty years I will have seen at least two remakes of something. It all feels like a vicious cycle....nobody is a more dedicated Fred Krueger fanatic than I. That is why it is my life's mison to get A Nightmatre On Elm Street film in my vion made. It will have more of the dark and imaginative awesomeness that made us all love the first. I always felt they had a really strong concept that could've gone further. And while talking about box office Wes Craven's New Nightmare was not good at the box office at all and yet I felt as I do today that was the best way to send Fred Krueger off. This character is so damn iconic Robert Englund himself knows after he dies people will still know the likeness and household name that is Freddy Krueger. In wrapping this up all I can say is I'd really love to write a script for Wes Scraven to make because at the end of the day it was his child he brought us.We've all shared this pop culture phenomenon and adopted it. I hope they leave Fred Krueger alone for right now. Because if they do and they hire me to usher in a new era. I promise you guys people will not sleep. The nightmare will live on as it always has. I think fans take remakes of these to heart as well they should but I don't hear a lot of people complaining about Arthur and the fact the new one is Dudley Moore-less. We horror fans are pasonate we have a bond with these films most others can't get or would envy. I say let Freddy rest until someone is willing to be really ballsy and gives ALL of us what we deserve. A clasc.
themorguethemerrier Friday 4/22/2011 at 11:22 PM | 74883
I agree we do need sequels to the remakes. I to liked the remakes. People treat these remakes like there the worst things on the planet. It's just another movie, and just because your a fan of the original doesn't mean your forbidden to like the remakes.
ropotoptoponop Saturday 1/14/2012 at 05:33 AM | 89450
I really enjoy the Friday remake. Not great, but after this horrifying FvsJ, it was really nice movie to me. So i say YES! Give us a fucking sequel at last.

Throw in the trash Shannon's and Swift's shit, and hire writer, who is really familiar with the series, for example Rob Hedden (a bad director, but a good writer) and as I said before: let John Harris (descent 2) dirrect it.

What about Nightmare remake... I do not know. I do not like this remake, but it is still posble to make the sequel, that will be better.
Jerry Blake Saturday 1/14/2012 at 12:25 PM | 89459