Forums Horror Movie Talk
The End for Legendary Director Wes Craven?

Wes Craven is arguably one of the most prolific horror directors our genre has had the pleasure to witness over the years. Starting his career off with a bang in 1972, Craven brought the world THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT unsettling audiences with its almost "snuff" film type style and brutality as well as the backwoods tale of THE HILLS HAVE EYES. Both films showing a raw, grittiness that American horror fans were not quite accustomed too.

Craven would become most know for creating horrors biggest icon, a knife-glove wearing burnt child murder named Freddy Krueger (played by the one and only, Robert Englund). From his iconic red and green stripped sweater and Fedora hat, Freddy instilled fear into a generation of kids, teens and adults all throughout the 80's eventually turning into a pop icon. Bang the films lead character off of true life experiences (Craven witnessed a man staring at him out of his apartment window as a child with the same type sweater and hat) the Freddy Krueger "invading your nightmares" scenario added a whole new twist to the over-saturated "slasher" genre. Freddy Krueger changed the game by not just being able to vit you in your dreams but this "slasher" icon could talk. And boy did he love to taunt his victims.

Craven was never really able to shake the success of the overwhelming popularity of the NIGHTMARE franchise. Only being involved in three of the films (directing the first one). The franchise took in over a half a billion dollars in sales while Craven only received a paltry $250,000 for his work, having gned away his rights because of his ambition to direct the first film. However, due to the popularity of the series the director was instantly hoisted into horror movie stardom as the creator of such a legendary and infamous series.

In later years Craven struggled to connect with his audience although gems were strewn about. Films like THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS and the NEW NIGHTMARE showed that Craven could still bring it when the chips were down.

The came 1996 and the film that turned the horror world and Craven's life upde down. Thanks to "horror movie fatigue" and a brilliant script by writer Kevin Williamson, Craven saw his fame skyrocket once again due to a little horror film titled, SCREAM. Originally titled SCARY MOVIE (yes, the spoofs took that name and ran with it) SCREAM was a brilliant film because finally the characters of a horror movie were well versed on past horror films. In prior years the audience was just supposed to believe that characters had never seen a film that showed a zombie outbreak or never witnessed a hockey masked killer murdering counselors for no apparent reason. SCREAM created characters that broke the fourth wall. They had seen horror movies before and when the body count started piling up, they were very well versed on what "might" happen next.

It was a formula that took the audience by surprise on so many different levels. Initially set as the start, Drew Berrymore was hired for the film but due to other obligations decided to play a minor (yet very gnificant role). Berrymore's role as Casey Becker turned horror fans on their head by opening the film with one of the greatest intros to any horror movie and killing off what appeared in all likelihood to be a main cast member.

From that moment on, it was very clear that SCREAM was not going to be your typical "slasher" movie and with its "who done it" script and great directing by Craven (who even played a cameo as, you guessed it, a "Freddy Krueger" looking janitor") The film went on to create a whole new sub-genre of films including 2 sequels in the SCREAM franchise. That is until the forth film recently came out.

With Craven's written and directed film MY SOUL TO TAKE flopping at the box office, the director was quoted many times, including on this te, stating that he was thinking of retiring. Craven has always been known as a very warm hearted individual, and when his "baby" as he put it, performed so poorly the director thought it might be time to hang up the boots. After all, he is 71 and has had one helleva a career.

Hoping to posbly go out on a high note the director gned onto SCREAM 4 with Keven Williamson back as script writer and the original tro of cast members Neve Campbell, David Arquette and Courtney Cox. All seemed well until the initial week of filming in Michigan. Rumors of Williamson's script being chopped up and eventually re-written by writer Ethan Krueger (coincidental last name) caused a stir on entertainment and news tes everywhere. Cap that with actors and actresses quitting due to role reductions (after all this was a new revised script) the question started to be asked, is SCREAM 4 going to fail? Surely not. Surely after 10 years the studio wouldn't let that happen?

With a 44 million dollar budget, Dimenon films was hoping to hit a home run with SCREAM 4. After two weeks at the box office the film has brought in roughly $27 million. Not what the studio was hoping for and already talks of SCREAM 5 and 6 seem dead in the water. The film will likely make its money back but in all likely hood the next time we see Ghosftace will be in remake form (sorry, but its the truth).

So where does the

71 year old director go from here. He still has a magic touch when giving the right circumstances and he can't be blamed for the poor balance and plot holes for SCREAM 4, can he? After all it was the studio who made changes. Craven even tweeted at one point that he felt like he "lost the movie". But does the director have anything left to prove. The creator of A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and director of SCREAM should be able to hang his hat was no reservations. It will be interested to see where Craven goes from here. Time will tell. We want to hear your thoughts. Will he be back or have we witnessed the last of the legendary horror filmmaker?

Pictured above: Kevin Williamson and Wes Craven
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Tuesday 4/26/2011 at 03:14 PM | 75017
Scream 4 was kinda like a remake so I guess it's done. I don't blame Wes, but they never should've gotten rid of Kevin Williamson. The Weinsteins killed his movie.
LoomisLives2010 Tuesday 4/26/2011 at 04:21 PM | 75020
The '"Weener"steins absolutely killed this movie, and maybe even the franchise. It's gotta hurt for Wes to see his "baby" get abused like that. I feel confident Wes will pick himself up off the ground, shake off the dirt, and return to give us his final swan song. And when its all done, I' m sure that will t back and relish the amazing career that he had.BTW, GREAT article Justin!! Props to ya!
Anonymous Tuesday 4/26/2011 at 05:08 PM | 75024
Rob Zombie and just about every director (except for their golden boy Quentin) who works with the Weinsteins has had a milar experience.....that being shitty. For me, Craven has nothing to prove, his place in the halls of horror royalty is set in stone. He's older now, and sadly it seems like a lot of directors lose their edge with age. I dont expect anything from him now, but a killer swan song WOULD be nice!
ny ghoul Tuesday 4/26/2011 at 06:33 PM | 75028
I would say it's highly unlikely that this will be the death of Craven's career. If he can survive Cursed, he can survive the idiotic release date of Scream 4. I also highly doubt this will kill the franchise. It will make it's money back, and more, and that's all a studio exec cares about. I'd say we can go ahead, especially after the solid critical praise, and expect to see at LEAST Scream 5.
Shawn.Savage Wednesday 4/27/2011 at 02:47 AM | 75047
My Soul to Take wasn't even that bad of a film. I actually enjoyed it more than Scream 4. I think Wes has got at least one more great film in him. Let's see it Wes!
Sephit Wednesday 4/27/2011 at 06:54 AM | 75065
Well it depends on weather he still thinks he has what it takes??
cat Sunday 5/08/2011 at 04:31 PM | 75692