Forums Horror Movie Talk
The Horror Film

That's it? That's the name of this article? Yep, because that's what we're talking about here. The horror film.

How did horror even start? The sheer thought of allowing someones fear and demise on screen must have been quite the controveral subject when it first came around. After all, certain subject matter was forbidden in certain eras. The mere mention of anything that wasn't approved of could have posbly cost you your life...but wait a minute, when that happened, it was in public. It was announced, and the public would gather around to witness your destruction.

So let's see, one person or maybe a few persons are "convicted" in some way or another of something "wrong". A public announcement was made and everyone would come to see, and this was even before the age of cinema.

Well hell, someone caught onto it. Horror has evolved into a wide range of entertainment for all to see. A new movie is made, announced, and alas, everyone grab some popcorn. It's movie time.

From radio broadcasts to black and white televion ung rabbit ears to color T.V. to the theaters to computers and flat panel high definition delights. Horror has certainly stood the test of time...and that time seems to be going in reverse.

Dare I speak of such demise, curse me as I punch my keyboard with the letters that spell doom for the future of horror.

No. We are many; we are large in numbers. We are horror fans all around who can only ask..."what the hell is going on?"

What the hell indeed. My personal studies have concluded one thing. Things have changed. We must face the fact that throughout the years, horror films have been done over and over and over and over. There has been a good run of them. Many have been entertaining and some not so much. Ideas are scarce, re-used, mixed in. You name it, and more than likely the odds are in favor of "been there, done that".

But let's try something. Let's try to have faith. I know, it's asking a lot. As far as being a general viewer, I'm with you.

But as far as a filmmaker, I'm not quitting. That would make me a quitter. Us filmmakers are struggling to bring you what you want. It isn't easy guys and gals. We constantly battle the odds in order to make something out of nothing. There is always some type of obstacle that blocks our path while we push to get a movie made. Whether it's financing, getting the right people involved, time constraints or what have you. Our goal is mple, but our journey feels imposble.

Those of us who beat the odds and actually get the final product to your screen haven't even finished yet. We have to market our material by attending conventions, submitting to festivals, watching our keyboards catch fire from typing emails and posting press releases and sharing our release info on every chat forum we can find.

It's a hard road folks. One not to be traveled by the weary. But those of us who do continue to drive on are the ones who will continue to do the best we can to bring you what you want.

Honestly, I have heard this specific response before..."Just because you didn't have any money doesn't mean it's an excuse for being a bad movie." Yes it does.

Ever try building a house without tools?

Support independent horror.
aceofspades70 Friday 4/29/2011 at 04:18 AM | 75200