Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Sort of A Bad Dream on Elm St. (A.N.O.E.S) Remake

That's how I felt when I first watched Director Samuel Bayer's take on the 1984 Nightmare On Elm. Street saga. I saw the movie when it was first released to DVD in October (Everyday is Halloween in October and hells yes that means a horror movie every day) I wasn't overall impressed.I'm usually against remakes, but I was sucked in by the familiar and likable cast.

Katie Casdy (Supernatural) Kellan Lutz (Twilight Saga)(Yes I said Twilight Saga, DON'T JUDGE ME MONKEY!)

Thomas Dekker (My ster's Keeper) Kyle Gallner (Jennifer's Body)

So I snuggled into watch it.

Jackie Earle Haley's portrayal of Freddy,

(A mixture of Boo Radley with a gruff voice reminiscent of The Dark Knight *gringe*)

made my body phycally ache for Robert Englund.

Because no matter how you feel about the originals, Robert Englund was scary as all shit.

He had a presence, even when not speaking, that seriously made you rethink bedtime.

It was an ok movie, not nearly as sacrilegious an homage as the Rob Zombie Halloween remakes. I returned it, and thought of it no more.

However yesterday, I was forced to re-watch the film and I was surprised by how much I liked it.

Firstly I realized I never gave credit to this movie's "Nancy" played by Rooney Mara.

She came off as very plain, and generic when I first saw the flick, but the second time around I really found myself rooting for her.

I gave more credit to the violent death scenes, and found that when I stopped trying to compare the movie to the original, I really enjoyed it.

The main concluon I came to, after watching it again, was that Jackie Earle Haley's portrayal of Freddy was terrifying, but in a completely different way than the original.

The original focuses on a monster of Nightmare's. Horror makeup, and knives for a hand, which Robert Englund executes masterfully.

However, in the remake, the movie focus's more upon Freddy Krueger the MAN. A very disturbing, sadistic, pedophile that slipped past every parent, in a school setting that was supposed to be safe. (Definitely a worst nightmare)

I seriously recommend a second viewing to anyone who denounced the remake the first time they saw it. Sure Dark Knight Voice is still there, but the plot somehow seems much more disturbing.

Having the two movies in my head last night, I laid in bed half scared to fall asleep, but mostly terrified to send my daughter to preschool. Either way...it stuck with me, as it will to you.
BloodAndRibbons Saturday 4/30/2011 at 12:52 PM | 75274
I to loved the Nightmare on Elm street remake.It is really great.I was excited about the cast.I liked katie casdy nse I saw her portray Ruby on Supernatural so I was glad to see her in the movie.I had heard good thing's about Jackie Earle Haley,but I wasn't familuar with him until this movie.He did an excellent job portraying Freddy.Rooney Mara was great too in the film,but like Jackie I wasn't familular with her neither.So it was good watching the film with one cast member I knew and other's I got introduced too.Im glad you wrote this artice nce the film is disliked by so many and I like you hope they give this film a second chance.Im still hoping for sequel's to this film and maybe more people will look forward to them if they see this film.
horrorlord Sunday 5/08/2011 at 06:18 PM | 75695