Forums Horror Movie Talk
Who Would You Consider To Be A Modern Day Scream Queen?

As I was doing yard work today, the above thought just popped into my head. Then I got to thinking, ade for Danielle Harris and Sheri Moon Zombie, is there even anybody left in the current horror industry that we can even conder worthy of the title, “Scream Queen”?

A scream queen by definition is an actress who becomes associated for her roles in horror movies. Usually they are the protagonist in the movie, and seldom used as the victim. Fay Wray is condered by the industry to be the first scream queen, and Jamie Lee Curtis is perhaps the most famous.Early on Hollywood adapted the whole “damsel-in-distress” stereo-type as to what a scream queen consted of. She was usually sexy and sheik and able to grab the attention of every man, and often it was the “good guy” who saved her. As the years progressed the definition began to change. And by the time Jamie Lee Curtis hit the scene in John Carpenter’s Halloween, the prototype became completely revamped.

The beginning of the use of women in horror flicks dated back to 1920. And by the time King Kong came out in 1933 we had our first official scream queen. Throughout the years names like, Betty Davis, Joan Crawford, Janet Leigh,

Adrienne Barbeau, Betsy Palmer, Heather Langenkamp and Linnea Quigley have all been dubbed scream queens because of their roles in horror.

In the 1990’s a bunch of new scream queens were born. Debbie Rochon seemed to be appearing in every movie that Torma Productions released. Then a girl by the name of Neve Campbell arrived on the scene. She was soon followed by Jennifer Love Hewitt, and Sarah Michelle Geller.

This now brings me back to my question. We’re well into the 21st century, and it seems as if there aren’t too many recent names to be associated with the term scream queen. I’m just curious as to who you think would be an appropriate selection to be added to the all time list from 2000 – present?
Anonymous Saturday 4/30/2011 at 09:54 PM | 75296
OMG! I was listening to the podcast of the House of Horror Ep. 2 and they were talking about a movie with Angela Bettis in it. I case you don't know Angela has been in tons of horror movies, such as May, Toolbox Murders, Wicked Lake, Scar, and Carrie (tv movie) just to name a few. Sorry I forget to give you your props Ang. Anybody else care to add any more names???
Anonymous Monday 5/02/2011 at 02:01 AM | 75354
OMG Angela Bettis as May.

Creeptastic.

How about Danielle Panabaker?

The Crazies, The Ward, and my fave Friday the 13th.

Whereas Angela Bettis can be downright frightening she comes off as relient.

Danielle reminds me of Jamie Lee in the first Halloween. Just enough vulnerability, that gosh darnit you want her to live. (Unfortunately for Danielle she rarely does)
BloodAndRibbons Monday 5/02/2011 at 09:22 PM | 75396
@BloodandRibbons

Good choice....let's keep em coming!! Here's a pic of Danielle Panabaker.

Anonymous Monday 5/02/2011 at 10:53 PM | 75399
modern day scream queens:

Danielle Harris Sheri Moon Zombie Scout Taylor Compton Raine Brown Tiffany Shepis Shannon Lark Ruby LaRocca Misty Mundae
ny ghoul Tuesday 5/03/2011 at 02:25 AM | 75409
@nyghoul...nice choices, some I never would have thought of.

Here's their pics;

Left to Right: Scout Taylor Compton, Raine Brown and Tiffany Shepis

Left to Right: Shannon Lark, Ruby LaRocca, and Misty Mundae

Come on guys, keep them coming..
Anonymous Tuesday 5/03/2011 at 02:56 AM | 75411
Katie Casdy. Very decent horror resume.

Love her!
BloodAndRibbons Tuesday 5/03/2011 at 04:39 PM | 75449
Definitely Scout Taylor Compton

And Kristina Klebe

Michael Aspinwall Tuesday 5/03/2011 at 04:57 PM | 75453
Mike, your very lucky to have meet not 1 but 2 scream queens...you'll have to go for the hat trick one day, and meet either Danielle Harris or Sheri Moon Zombie!!
Anonymous Tuesday 5/03/2011 at 08:25 PM | 75474
Sheri Moon Zombie, Danielle Harris, and Scout Taylor Compton are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Demonoid Phenomenon Wednesday 5/04/2011 at 12:35 AM | 75487
Mike, your very lucky to have meet not 1 but 2 scream queens...you'll have to go for the hat trick one day, and meet either Danielle Harris or Sheri Moon Zombie I met Danielle Harris that day too!
Michael Aspinwall Wednesday 5/04/2011 at 12:54 AM | 75490
HOLY CRAP MIKE, NOT ONLY ARE YOU THE MAN, BUT YOU ARE MY NEW IDOL!!!
Anonymous Wednesday 5/04/2011 at 01:22 AM | 75494
HOLY CRAP MIKE, NOT ONLY ARE YOU THE MAN, BUT YOU ARE MY NEW IDOL

Thanks man!!!
Michael Aspinwall Wednesday 5/04/2011 at 03:18 AM | 75507
Danielle Harris leads the pack in my opinion but Scout Taylor Compton has a TON of potential if she keeps making Horror films, she was very good in the RZ Halloween movies..I would like to add Shauna Macdonald from The Descent and Jocelin Donahue from House of the Devil..
NightShape Wednesday 5/04/2011 at 04:18 AM | 75510
@NightShape here's some eye candy for ya!!

Left to Right: Shauna MacDonald and Jocelin Donahue
Anonymous Wednesday 5/04/2011 at 11:15 PM | 75536
Thanks bnizzle!!

I just noticed this from um..2 months ago..I turned my notices off..those two need to do more Horror!!
NightShape Friday 7/15/2011 at 05:14 PM | 78749
Jordan Ladd Anna Paquin

Belén Rueda

This is actually a really tough question. Its not like it used to be where there were always 1 or 2 known "scream queens". Also, due to the phase horror is going through, "scream queens" no longer follow that specific formula that @bnizzle mentioned. Instead of epic cat and mouse battles with the killer wherein the "queen" eventually prevails, now they either die a gruesome death in the third act, or turn out to be the killer. (big surprise)

Today, I think there are a many fine women who act in a handful of horror titles, but i wouldn't call any of them the queen. We need a scream queen resurgence!
AgnesItsMeBilly Friday 7/15/2011 at 08:16 PM | 78758
I will have to say Sherri Moon. I did have great hopes for Kristin Stewert being the next great scream queen but Twilight ruined all respect I had for her.
BloodyAdored Saturday 7/16/2011 at 12:03 AM | 78765
Caroline Munro, certainly!

Starred in Dracula A.D. 1972,

Captain Kronos – Vampire Hunter, The Last Horror Film, Maniac, Demons 6: De Profundis
Hupport Monday 10/10/2011 at 06:32 AM | 84142