Forums Horror Movie Talk
Jason Voorhees Returns, FRIDAY THE 13Th "F13" Fan Speaks Out

A few days ago I wrote an article about a fan who was attempting to kick start the Friday the 13th series.

A day later I came across another fan trying to do the same thing for the Elm Street franchise (CLICK HERE).

nce then, people have really become intrigued by the idea that the fans themselves are what are going to save the genre.

They’re going to take the ball out of the major studios court and into their own.

It should be interesting to see if this becomes a full on revolution and if fans really have what it takes to save the movies they love.

When I first wrote about Patrick Dobson trying to write the next Friday chapter very few details were known.

All I was working off of was a comment left on Amy Steel’s (Friday the 13th Part 2) Facebook page and a teaser poster.

I’ve nce had the honor of getting in contact with Mr. Dobson and he generously agreed to answer all the questions I had for him.

Strap yourself in for a clasc Q&A:

Q:

Are you a horror fan? If so, what is it about the genre that you enjoy?

A:

I am a die-hard Horror/Monster Fan. I have always been drawn to the genre growing up. My first taste of the genre was the Hammer movies. Saturday afternoons you had a choice, either Monster movies or Westerns. This was a no-brainer to me. I was never afraid of the monster under my bed. They were all my friends. I also grew up with bands like Alice Cooper and Kiss. They were the soundtrack to my childhood.

Q:

How did you become the administrator for Adrienne King’s and Amy Steel’s Facebook pages? Do you do other work with them?

A:

My first taste of working for some of the actors was CJ Graham (Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI).

He needed an 8X10 picture of the Crystal Lake Memories

without all the words so fans could but it and get all the Jason’s to gn it.

So, I went back and worked on it.

I have it to him the next time I saw him.

He was very grateful and then I started doing work for him.

During this time I met Jeff Wickedbeard (Wickedbeard Creations,

http://www.wickedbeard.jigsy.com).

I have always heard of him and seen his photos.

I always admired his creations and dedication to every aspect of the Jason character.

We met up at Monster-Mania New Jersey.

There were some of the actors from the Friday the 13th movies at the convention.

I ended up taking photos for him with the fans.

We met Amy Steel and took some shots with her in some of the poses from Friday the 13th Part 2.

I found out that Amy was putting together a Facebook page for her fans.

On her page she asked her fans some questions on how to do something.

One of her fans, who happened to be one of my friends, Tim Shultz (Cryptkeeper 9 Productions) told her to ask me, because I helped him with his Facebook page.

The next that happened was I became her admin and organized her page so fans could navigate it eaer.

We’ve been friends ever nce.

I owe Amy Steel a lot of credit for getting me in touch with Adrienne .

They met one day and my name got mentions.

I got a call from Adrienne and ended up working on her Facebook page.

This was a dream come true.

I cherish my friendship with both of them.http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fZe82ov6JKc/TABhxtz11gI/AAAAAAAAA4M/pnc21HtnJPY/s1600/finalgirl+ginny.jpg" class="photoborder" />

Q: I know you got the idea to write this screenplay after watching the interviews on the “His Name Was Jason” documentary, but what really the moment that lit a fire under you to take this chance?

A:

What really lit a fire in my brain was when I decided to create the “teaser posters” for the movie.

They were made to just be a joke.

I posted them on Amy’s and Adrienne’s Facebook pages.

They just created a life on their own.

Fans went ballistic.

They didn’t know if it was fact of fiction.

Adrienne didn’t help either.

She went along with it.

It grew from there.

There was no turning around now.

I had to write the script.

I just had vions in my head of scenes.

I wrote an outline and gave it to Adrienne.

She went crazy for it.

Amy followed suit.

Jeff Wickedbeard was also a major influence on me too.

Q:

Have you ever written a screenplay before?

A:

No, I haven’t.

I’m not a write.

My art form is photography.

I’m more of a visualize person.

I visualize scenes and try to put them down on paper.

Q:

I noticed on the posters Lar Park Lincoln’s name is also listed, how is she involved in all of this?

A:

Lar is a wildcard.

Again, I saw from the dvd that she wanted to take on Jason again.

I really haven’t talked to her at all.

She has talked to Adrienne asking about it.

I was told she’s excited about the idea.

I do have a plan B if she is not involved in it.

There will also be a special cameo from someone in the movie.

Q:

I know the title right now on the teaser posters are Friday the 13th: Retribution, could you talk about the decion to name it that and what it means in the context of Friday the 13th?

A:

It all has to do with Adrienne

killing Mrs. Voorhees and starting the death curse.

The Jason Voorhees curse on Crystal Lake.

I wanted the movie to come back to its roots.

To me, I feel like Jason Voorhees has over shadowed what started all of this to begin with.

He came too popular.

Fans were going to the movies to see how Jason was going to kill his victims and forgot about why he was killing them.

He wasn’t scary anymore.

You went into the movie rooting for Jason and when the movie was over he was dead and you left on a somber note.

There was no emotional attachment to the victims.

They meant nothing anymore.

I wanted to change that.

I want to build up the movie and then you root for the victim to win and then leave the movie on a higher note.

Q:

What can fans old and new expect from where you plan to take the franchise?

A:

The fans are going to be in for quite a few surprises no matter if you are old or new.

You are going to go crazy when you see this movie.

I will have answered some of the questions fan have been asking for years.

Q:

Personal opinion: What did you think of the Friday the 13th remake/reboot/reimagining?

A:

There were parts I liked and parts I was like, what were they thinking?

I think there was too much sex and drug references in the movie.

No one cared about the victims.

The muc was horrible.

I did like the look of Jason.

The first ten minutes were the best parts of the movie.

Q:

Is the script done, if so, once you hand the script off to Sean S. Cunningham, what do you foresee as being the best case scenario? With these scream queens backing you up, do you think the film will get made?

A:

The script is still in its working process.

I’m hoping to get a rough drag dong by the time I meet Sean.

Will it get made?

That’s hard to tell right now.

It’s still in its early stages.

After my dinner with Sean and the ladies I’ll know more.

One way or another we need all the fans to get excited about it and together we’ll make our dreams come true.

I want to thank Patrick Dobson for taking the time out to answer the questions and share with us a little more inght into what he’s conjuring up.

I really want to hear from you guys.

What do you think about all of this?

Does this inspire you to start writing your own fan film?

Also, if you’ve ever made a short fan film of your own feel free to post it below – we’d all love to see it.

Patrick Dobson's Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/FracturedMirror Amy Steel's Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Amy-St ... 8008671229 Adrienne King's Facebook Fan Page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Adrien ... 1090815682 Jeff Wickedbeard Cochran's Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/Wickedbeard
dakotathomas Monday 5/02/2011 at 03:56 AM | 75372
Well it sounds proming, but very slow! Ohh well, at leats it's going somewhere!
cat Monday 5/02/2011 at 04:19 PM | 75387
This actually sounds very interesting, I'd love to see this get made. Answer questions fans have been wondering for years! I'm there!
Sephit Tuesday 5/03/2011 at 08:55 AM | 75437