Forums Horror Movie Talk
The Barrens - Just Another Movie About The Jersey Devil?

Living just miles away from New Jersey, I've always been intrigued over the legend of the Jersey Devil. Legend has it that "Mother Leeds" upon giving birth to her 13th child in the Pine Barrens of NJ, called upon the devil, and made a wish. If granted, her baby would be born of pure evil, much like that of the devil. The legend goes on to say that when the baby was born, it was soon transformed into a devil like creature, which flew off into the surrounding pines.

Director Darren Lynn Bousman's

newest film mply called, The Barrens is his attempt to delve into the legend of the Jersey Devil. Hopefully it turns out to be a good flick. I have desperately been waiting for someone, anyone, to put out something based upon the legend that actually doesn't suck!! Lets hope Darren succeeds where everyone else has failed.

Plot Synops:

Despite their reluctance, Richard Marlow takes his wife, Cynthia; their young son, Danny; and his teenage daughter, Sadie to the Pine Barrens for a long weekend of camping and family bonding. As they arrive at the Wharton State Forest, a mutilated deer runs out into the road, nearly colliding with the Marlows' car. Later that evening, another bloodied animal falls from a tree. Bad turns to worse when, in the middle of the night, a college boy camping nearby disappears into the woods. Nevertheless, Richard presses the family to hike further into the forest to the spot where he used to camp with his father. He is feverish, and a past wound on his arm appears badly infected, but when it begins to rain, there is no turning back. Richard's ckness soon becomes debilitating; his headaches turn to hallucinations. What's worse, he believes there is something stalking them…something with yellow eyes, pointed horns, and the wings of a bat - THE JERSEY DEVIL. The disfigured bodies of the misng camper and another college boy soon turn up. The Marlows must fight for their lives as the horrifying answer reveals itself in a shocking and tragic concluon.

The Barrens will be produced by Richard Saperstein and Brian Witten and is due out in 2012.

Source: Dread Central
Anonymous Thursday 5/05/2011 at 09:08 PM | 75563
I'll be looking into this. Thanks!
Mothman Friday 5/06/2011 at 06:25 PM | 75625
Sounds good. But, I think I know how it will end: The father is going to be the Jersey Devil. I could be wrong, but from what I read, this seems to be the logical result.
Vader_the_White Friday 5/06/2011 at 08:42 PM | 75635
@Vader_the_White

You should know by now that the logical choice is always the wrong one..
Anonymous Saturday 5/07/2011 at 06:47 PM | 75667
True, very true. Hooray movies, where logic is not everything!
Vader_the_White Monday 5/09/2011 at 12:47 AM | 75707